Performance difference between 133/200 MHz FSB speed?

Generally speaking, approximately how much performance difference
might there be between 266 MHz and 400 MHz CPU/memory speed systems?
I am thinking of upgrading from my Athlon XP 2400+ to an Athlon XP
3200+. System memory supports 200 MHz FSB. Specifically, I am trying
to improve speech recognition, which seems to be memory intensive.

Thank you.
3 answers Last reply
More about performance difference speed

    "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote...
    > Generally speaking, approximately how much performance difference
    > might there be between 266 MHz and 400 MHz CPU/memory speed systems?
    > I am thinking of upgrading from my Athlon XP 2400+ to an Athlon XP
    > 3200+. System memory supports 200 MHz FSB. Specifically, I am trying
    > to improve speech recognition, which seems to be memory intensive.

    If memory bandwidth is what you need, then you may want to consider an Opteron
    or FX system. The hypertransport architecture gives significant performance
    gains in memory bandwidth.

    In article <Xns967DDC630BAB7wisdomfolly@207.115.63.158>, John Doe
    says...
    > Generally speaking, approximately how much performance difference
    > might there be between 266 MHz and 400 MHz CPU/memory speed systems?
    > I am thinking of upgrading from my Athlon XP 2400+ to an Athlon XP
    > 3200+. System memory supports 200 MHz FSB. Specifically, I am trying
    > to improve speech recognition, which seems to be memory intensive.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Considerable. You've got AT LEAST a 50% increase in RAM speed.

    --
    Conor

    Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <Xns967DDC630BAB7wisdomfolly@207.115.63.158>, John

    >> Generally speaking, approximately how much performance
    >> difference might there be between 266 MHz and 400 MHz
    >> CPU/memory speed systems? I am thinking of upgrading from my
    >> Athlon XP 2400+ to an Athlon XP 3200+. System memory supports
    >> 200 MHz FSB. Specifically, I am trying to improve speech
    >> recognition, which seems to be memory intensive.

    > Considerable. You've got AT LEAST a 50% increase in RAM speed.

    Replaced the Athlon XP 2400 (133/266 MHz FSB) with the Athlon XP
    3000 (200/400 MHz FSB)

    CPU temperature is higher

    Sandra memory bandwidth test went from 3850 to 5400

    WinRar Benchmark and hardware test went from 238 to 332

    Apparently it did dramatically help memory bandwidth

Homebuilt Performance Memory Windows XP Systems