Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Changed from Domain to Workgroup, can't log on

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Domain
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 1, 2004 6:39:04 PM

I am trying to set up a home network consisting of:

Linksys wireless router
Win XP Pro laptop (from work)
Win 98 desktop

I set up a workgroup named "XYZ", which the 98 machine was part of.

My work laptop uses a domain and I log in with user name and password.

I changed from domain to workgroup on the laptop, at least to test the
connections. Unfortunately, I can no longer log on to my latptop.

The user name and domain password don't work, and I didn't set anything else
up for the workgroup other than the name.

How can I get back on?

Thanks. Sean.

More about : changed domain workgroup log

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 2, 2004 12:25:57 PM

You'll need to take ti back to work and have them rejoin it to the domain to
get your username working again or get the local administrator account of
this laptop in order to login. This is a very common issue since you account
does not exist on the laptop, it only exists on the domain at work.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Cox" <perrymans@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to set up a home network consisting of:
>
> Linksys wireless router
> Win XP Pro laptop (from work)
> Win 98 desktop
>
> I set up a workgroup named "XYZ", which the 98 machine was part of.
>
> My work laptop uses a domain and I log in with user name and password.
>
> I changed from domain to workgroup on the laptop, at least to test the
> connections. Unfortunately, I can no longer log on to my latptop.
>
> The user name and domain password don't work, and I didn't set anything
else
> up for the workgroup other than the name.
>
> How can I get back on?
>
> Thanks. Sean.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2004 1:23:49 AM

"Cox" <perrymans@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to set up a home network consisting of:
>
> Linksys wireless router
> Win XP Pro laptop (from work)
> Win 98 desktop
>
> I set up a workgroup named "XYZ", which the 98 machine was part of.
>
> My work laptop uses a domain and I log in with user name and password.
>
> I changed from domain to workgroup on the laptop, at least to test the
> connections. Unfortunately, I can no longer log on to my latptop.
>
> The user name and domain password don't work, and I didn't set anything
> else
> up for the workgroup other than the name.
>
> How can I get back on?
>
> Thanks. Sean.

This is analogous to locking your keys in the car.

As your last act while logged on to the domain, you told the computer to
stop allowing domain accounts to log on. It actually did warn you about
this.....

Anyway like Scott said, only your trust network admins can help you now!