Windows 2000 Professional slow to Join NT4 Domain

Hello All,

Here is a question that I have wondered about for several months. We have a
NT4 Domain with a PDC and BDC with plenty of RAM and Dual Processors. Why
does Joining the Windows 2000 Professional workstation take several minutes
to finally join the Domain. We even prestage the Workstation's NetBIOS name
in Server Manager. Win9x machines never had that problem. Does anybody know
what is going on under the Win2KPro Hood?

- Tom

Win9x machines do not actually join a domain but only participate in a
domain. NT(NT4, Win2k, XP) style machines actually create a computer account
in the domain and that process is longer. Do you have any NT workstations
that take this long to join the domain? A minute or a little longer I would
say is normal but it shouldn't be 5 minutes? Are you using WINS at all?

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Tom "T"" <thomastrumble@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> Here is a question that I have wondered about for several months. We have
> NT4 Domain with a PDC and BDC with plenty of RAM and Dual Processors. Why
> does Joining the Windows 2000 Professional workstation take several
minutes
> to finally join the Domain. We even prestage the Workstation's NetBIOS
name
> in Server Manager. Win9x machines never had that problem. Does anybody
know
> what is going on under the Win2KPro Hood?
>
> - Tom

Scott,

Yes, we are using WINS and we are prestaging the Computer account in NT4
Server Manager. Any Ideas?

Tom "T"

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Win9x machines do not actually join a domain but only participate in a
> domain. NT(NT4, Win2k, XP) style machines actually create a computer
account
> in the domain and that process is longer. Do you have any NT workstations
> that take this long to join the domain? A minute or a little longer I
would
> say is normal but it shouldn't be 5 minutes? Are you using WINS at all?
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "Tom "T"" <thomastrumble@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Here is a question that I have wondered about for several months. We
have
> > NT4 Domain with a PDC and BDC with plenty of RAM and Dual Processors.
Why
> > does Joining the Windows 2000 Professional workstation take several
> minutes
> > to finally join the Domain. We even prestage the Workstation's NetBIOS
> name
> > in Server Manager. Win9x machines never had that problem. Does anybody
> know
> > what is going on under the Win2KPro Hood?
> >
> > - Tom

Not that it will help much, but I've run across this behavior, too. So
far it hasn't been enough of a problem to bother tracking down. I've
just assumed W2k was trying to use DNS to locate a W2k domain and had to
time out the attempt, before it would give up and use NetBIOS to locate
the NT domain.

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:23:04 -0400, "Tom \"T\""
<thomastrumble@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, we are using WINS and we are prestaging the Computer account in NT4
>Server Manager. Any Ideas?
>
>"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Win9x machines do not actually join a domain but only participate in a
>> domain. NT(NT4, Win2k, XP) style machines actually create a computer
>account
>> in the domain and that process is longer. Do you have any NT workstations
>> that take this long to join the domain? A minute or a little longer I
>would
>> say is normal but it shouldn't be 5 minutes? Are you using WINS at all?
>>
>> "Tom "T"" <thomastrumble@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello All,
>> >
>> > Here is a question that I have wondered about for several months. We
>have
>> > NT4 Domain with a PDC and BDC with plenty of RAM and Dual Processors.
>Why
>> > does Joining the Windows 2000 Professional workstation take several
>> minutes
>> > to finally join the Domain. We even prestage the Workstation's NetBIOS
>> name
>> > in Server Manager. Win9x machines never had that problem. Does anybody
>> know
>> > what is going on under the Win2KPro Hood?
--
Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).

Open a dos prompt on the W2k machine and run ipconfig /all;
what is the NetBIOS node type? I would think the machine is
using P-node.