Will 64-bit Windows XP speed up FS9?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 22, 2005 2:50:16 AM

Just came across this free download of MS Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edition
(trial s/ware). Maybe somebody with an AMD64 CPU can install it and let us
know if it improves FS9 performance? (Will it even work with current
drivers?)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

Big download at 550MB ... (but ok with broadband - 13min d/l)

More about : bit windows speed fs9

February 22, 2005 2:50:17 AM

Sorry, I've got a 64 bit processor but I'd be crazy as a loon to spend
the time necessary to replace my perfectly functional XP OS! :)  Maybe
someone else here has the time and inclination to play around with OS's?

Dave

Oscar wrote:

> Just came across this free download of MS Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edition
> (trial s/ware). Maybe somebody with an AMD64 CPU can install it and let us
> know if it improves FS9 performance? (Will it even work with current
> drivers?)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
>
> Big download at 550MB ... (but ok with broadband - 13min d/l)

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:53:53 AM

the real benefit will come when FS is written in 64bit

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
"Oscar" <asta@la.vista.net> wrote in message
> Just came across this free download of MS Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edition
> (trial s/ware). Maybe somebody with an AMD64 CPU can install it and let us
> know if it improves FS9 performance? (Will it even work with current
> drivers?)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
>
> Big download at 550MB ... (but ok with broadband - 13min d/l)

Related resources
February 22, 2005 7:55:30 AM

From what I've seen it uses something like 40 more megs of memory and runs
like 10 fps faster. Keep in mind that this was not a scientific test, just
info from the Task manager and shift-z.

"Oscar" <asta@la.vista.net> wrote in message
> Just came across this free download of MS Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edition
> (trial s/ware). Maybe somebody with an AMD64 CPU can install it and let us
> know if it improves FS9 performance? (Will it even work with current
> drivers?)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
>
> Big download at 550MB ... (but ok with broadband - 13min d/l)

February 22, 2005 10:11:03 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:11:52 -0800, David wrote:

> Sorry, I've got a 64 bit processor but I'd be crazy as a loon to spend
> the time necessary to replace my perfectly functional XP OS! :)

You mean it nukes the previous contents of the hard drive? Surely MS would
at least allow you to dual boot to test their beta? ;)

--
Jafar Calley
Livewire. The World's biggest VA.

Sorry, forgot to say.
While the underlying OS would benefit from being built for 64bit, FS9
would get a negligible increase of speed at best. Not worth the bother of
using MS's beta anyway.

--
Jafar Calley
Livewire. The World's biggest VA.
http://www.flightbase2000.com
See Mars and Saturn in colour at
http://fatcat.homelinux.org
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:31:54 PM

yes you can duel boot the XP64 beta, and it does run quite well now, a lot
of issues have been ironed out. I have been on the XP64 news group for a
while now and noticing less issues coming up and most of them are people
looking for 64bit drivers. XP64bit OEM comes out in March I think (don't
hold me to that though) but it is soon.

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
I apologise now for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar
--
"Oscar" <asta@la.vista.net> wrote in message
> Just came across this free download of MS Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edition
> (trial s/ware). Maybe somebody with an AMD64 CPU can install it and let us
> know if it improves FS9 performance? (Will it even work with current
> drivers?)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
>
> Big download at 550MB ... (but ok with broadband - 13min d/l)

February 23, 2005 1:25:02 AM

So you have/had 64bit Windows running already? Can I get a bit more detail
of your observations? Such as driver issues if any. You noted 10 fps
increase, coming from what base (ie is that 20>30fps or 40>50fps?)

"zaphod" <zaphod@magrathea.pl> wrote in message
> From what I've seen it uses something like 40 more megs of memory and runs
> like 10 fps faster. Keep in mind that this was not a scientific test,
just
> info from the Task manager and shift-z.
>

> "Oscar" <asta@la.vista.net> wrote in message
> > Just came across this free download of MS Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edition
> > (trial s/ware). Maybe somebody with an AMD64 CPU can install it and let
us
> > know if it improves FS9 performance? (Will it even work with current
> > drivers?)
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
> >
> > Big download at 550MB ... (but ok with broadband - 13min d/l)

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:11:54 AM

"Oscar" <asta@la.vista.net> schrubte:

> Just came across this free download of MS Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edition
> (trial s/ware). Maybe somebody with an AMD64 CPU can install it and let
> us know if it improves FS9 performance? (Will it even work with current
> drivers?)

The german computer magazine c't just made a test with common 3D Shooters
under XP64, with nVidia 64-Bit graphics card drivers.

The frame rates were slightly dropping...

The main problem is, that with 64 bit, the system has to carry much more
zeros (zeroes sp?) through the system than todays 32 bit systems.

The main advantage of XP64 is that you can address now several tera bytes
(!) of memory in one go.

So if you go with an Athlon 64 keep in mind that the "old" ;-) Athlon 32
bit technology has limitations in processor gigahertz speed in the near
future, whilst an Athlon 64 can go for more than 4000+ GHz (XP rated, not
true).

Greets,

Thomas.
@EDDV
Athlon 64 3500+ user ;-)
--
http://www.suchanhannover.de
February 23, 2005 2:11:55 AM

---- Can you please post a link to this test report? - Thanks

> The frame rates were slightly dropping...
>
> The main problem is, that with 64 bit, the system has to carry much more
> zeros (zeroes sp?) through the system than todays 32 bit systems.
>
> The main advantage of XP64 is that you can address now several tera bytes
> (!) of memory in one go.
>
> So if you go with an Athlon 64 keep in mind that the "old" ;-) Athlon 32
> bit technology has limitations in processor gigahertz speed in the near
> future, whilst an Athlon 64 can go for more than 4000+ GHz (XP rated, not
> true).
>
> Greets,
>
> Thomas.
> @EDDV
> Athlon 64 3500+ user ;-)
> --
> http://www.suchanhannover.de
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:11:56 AM

"Oscar" <asta@la.vista.net> wrote:

>---- Can you please post a link to this test report? - Thanks

Here ya go - hope you read German.

http://www.heise.de/ct/05/05/096/

-=tom=-
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:15:01 AM

"zaphod" <zaphod@magrathea.pl> wrote in message
> From what I've seen it uses something like 40 more megs of memory and runs
> like 10 fps faster. Keep in mind that this was not a scientific test,
> just info from the Task manager and shift-z.

If it went from 1 fps to 11 fps I'm impressed. If it went from 1000 to 1010
I am less impressed. Even though it is not scientific it would be nice to
have some sort of reference on that number. :)

/Lars
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 7:15:59 PM

On 22 Feb 2005 23:11:54 +0100, Thomas Suchan
<valid.email.begins.after.the.three.dots...su.bin@gmx.de> wrote:

>(zeroes sp?)

Totally missing the point and OT

Hi Thomas et al

It's "zeros".

Also, whilst I'm at it, the plural of virus is viruses, not virii. In
the Latin, vir means man, viri means men.

Incidentally, Thomas, this post is not aimed at you. After all, your
English is 100% better than my German.

Time to jump of my pedantic high horse.

Regards
James
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 7:16:00 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:15:59 GMT, James Hodson wrote:

> Also, whilst I'm at it, the plural of virus is viruses, not virii. In
> the Latin, vir means man, viri means men.

English is such a strange and inconsistent language... e.g.,

We'll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes;
but the plural of ox became oxen not oxes.
One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,
yet the plural of moose should never be meese.
You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mice;
yet the plural of house is houses, not hice.

If the plural of man is always called men,
why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?
If I spoke of my foot and show you my feet,
and I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?
If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,
why shouldn't the plural of booth be called beeth?

Then one may be that, and three would be those,
yet hat in the plural would never be hose,
and the plural of cat is cats, not cose.
We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
but though we say mother, we never say methren.

Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him,
but imagine the feminine, she, shis and shim.

Some other reasons to be grateful if you grew up speaking English:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to
present the present.
8) At the Army base, a bass was painted on the head of
a bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) After a number of Novocain injections, my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
22) I spent last evening evening out a pile of dirt.

Screwy pronunciations can mess up your mind! For
example...

If you have a rough cough, climbing can be tough when going through the
bough on a tree!

Let's face it - English is a crazy language.

There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger;
neither apple nor pine in pineapple.

English muffins weren't invented in England.

We take English for granted.

But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work
slowly,boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor
is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing,
grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but
not one amend?

If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them,
what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Sometimes I think all the folks who grew up speaking English should be
committed to an asylum for the verbally insane.

In what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?

Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?

Have noses that run and feet that smell? How can a slim chance and a fat
chance be the same, while a wise man and a wiseguy are opposites?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house
can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out
and in which an alarm goes off by going on.

If Dad is Pop, how's come Mom isn't Mop?

Bill
February 23, 2005 7:16:01 PM

ROFLMAO! Another keeper, that's at least three in 24 hrs....
February 24, 2005 1:06:40 AM

Fascinating (vascinating, fascineting?) .... maybe you should get out more
often, a night on the town might help :-)

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them,
> what do you call it?
>
> If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?
>
> If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
>
> Sometimes I think all the folks who grew up speaking English should be
> committed to an asylum for the verbally insane.
>
> In what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?
>
> Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?
>
> Have noses that run and feet that smell? How can a slim chance and a fat
> chance be the same, while a wise man and a wiseguy are opposites?
>
> You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house
> can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it
out
> and in which an alarm goes off by going on.
>
> If Dad is Pop, how's come Mom isn't Mop?

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:35:08 AM

I have Beta Windows 64 running on Athlon 64-3200 / 6600GT graphics with FS9
and scenery running. It seems stable and all my add on scenery ran ok. In
terms of performance could not really see any difference either way, frame
rates looked almost identical so far as I could tell.
Did not expect any improvement but slightly surprised that it seems to run
as well as native Windows 32.
Like has been already said, any improvement will only come with 64 bit FS9
and their seems to be a debate if even this will make a significant
difference.

My big disappointment is that SLI dual graphics does nothing for FS9 at
present time

regards

"Oscar" <asta@la.vista.net> wrote in message
> Just came across this free download of MS Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edition
> (trial s/ware). Maybe somebody with an AMD64 CPU can install it and let us
> know if it improves FS9 performance? (Will it even work with current
> drivers?)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
>
> Big download at 550MB ... (but ok with broadband - 13min d/l)

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:42:55 AM

Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net> schrubte:

> English is such a strange and inconsistent language...

Just a few things about the plurals of foreign words in German language...

In Italy, one plural is to end the words with "i", like Spaghetti, Bambini,

- When you go in Germany to an Italian restaurant, one can often hear
somebody say "Zwei Cappuchinos, bitte" (Two Cappuchinos, please"). (Should
be "Cappuchini").

- "Spaghetti" is in Italy the plural of Spaghetto, but in Germany you'll
have Spaghettis (plural) and one Spaghetti (singular)...

- And now the most difficult italian word in German language: Pizza. What
about the plural? Pizzen, Pizzas, Pizzi (??)... :-)

You'll see, wehen it comes to speaking, I sometimes prefer talking on
English rather than German, even if the other person is able speaking
German. Makes things much easier :-)

Thomas
@EDDV
--
http://www.suchanhannover.de
Anonymous

Hi William,

Strike me pink, mate - that's just flat out brilliant!!!!!

What a corker.

Regards,
John Ward

> [...]
>
> If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them,
> what do you call it?
>
> If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?
>
> If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
>
> Sometimes I think all the folks who grew up speaking English should be
> committed to an asylum for the verbally insane.
>
> In what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?
>
> Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?
>
> Have noses that run and feet that smell? How can a slim chance and a fat
> chance be the same, while a wise man and a wiseguy are opposites?
>
> You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house
> can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it
out
> and in which an alarm goes off by going on.
>
> If Dad is Pop, how's come Mom isn't Mop?

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:18:20 PM

Hi Oscar,

Don't encourage him, mate - he'll only become even harder to stump! :-))

Only kidding! :-))

Regards,
John Ward
> [...]
> > what do you call it?
> >
> > If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?
> >
> > If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
> >
> > Sometimes I think all the folks who grew up speaking English should be
> > committed to an asylum for the verbally insane.
> >
> > In what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?
> >
> > Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?
> >
> > Have noses that run and feet that smell? How can a slim chance and a fat
> > chance be the same, while a wise man and a wiseguy are opposites?
> >
> > You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your
house
> > can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it
> out
> > and in which an alarm goes off by going on.
> >
> > If Dad is Pop, how's come Mom isn't Mop?

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:59:10 PM

Hi Thomas,

I guess "Zwei Pizzas, bitte" doesn't cut the mustard, huh?

Regards,
John Ward
wrote in message news:Xns96074E8AC667inboxtsugmxde@145.253.2.18...
> Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net> schrubte:
>
> > English is such a strange and inconsistent language...
>
> Just a few things about the plurals of foreign words in German language...
>
> In Italy, one plural is to end the words with "i", like Spaghetti,
Bambini,

> - When you go in Germany to an Italian restaurant, one can often hear
> somebody say "Zwei Cappuchinos, bitte" (Two Cappuchinos, please"). (Should
> be "Cappuchini").
>
> - "Spaghetti" is in Italy the plural of Spaghetto, but in Germany you'll
> have Spaghettis (plural) and one Spaghetti (singular)...
>
> - And now the most difficult italian word in German language: Pizza. What
> about the plural? Pizzen, Pizzas, Pizzi (??)... :-)
>
> You'll see, wehen it comes to speaking, I sometimes prefer talking on
> English rather than German, even if the other person is able speaking
> German. Makes things much easier :-)
>
> Thomas
> @EDDV
> --
> http://www.suchanhannover.de
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:59:11 PM

"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> schrubte:

Hi John,

> I guess "Zwei Pizzas, bitte" doesn't cut the mustard, huh?

In fact, both variants are allowed. Zwei Pizzas is the normal form of plural,
but as you may guess, the german language has many exeptions to this rule,
and so "Pizzen" may be used to, although it is uncommon. ;-)

Tom.

--
http://www.suchanhannover.de
Anonymous

Hi Thomas,

My hat's off to you, mate!

I don't know how you blokes do it!

Are pizzas any healthier over there than they are here in Aus'? Or have
you been a naughty boy?? :-))

Regards,
John Ward
wrote in message news:Xns960758365FB8inboxtsugmxde@145.253.2.18...
> "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> schrubte:
>
> Hi John,
>
> > I guess "Zwei Pizzas, bitte" doesn't cut the mustard, huh?
>
> In fact, both variants are allowed. Zwei Pizzas is the normal form of
plural,
> but as you may guess, the german language has many exeptions to this rule,
> and so "Pizzen" may be used to, although it is uncommon. ;-)
>
> Tom.
>

> --
> http://www.suchanhannover.de
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:53:43 PM

"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> schrubte:

> My hat's off to you, mate!
>
> I don't know how you blokes do it!
>
> Are pizzas any healthier over there than they are here in Aus'? Or have
> you been a naughty boy?? :-))

Me, I'm weight watherin' (crossed the sonic wall of 100 Kilos after
Christmas...), and let me tell ya, two pizzas have enough points for the rest
of the day (one for breakfast, one for dinner, but nothing in between than
salad...)

;-)

Thomas.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:42:28 AM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:06:40 GMT, Oscar wrote:

> Fascinating (vascinating, fascineting?) .... maybe you should get out more
> often, a night on the town might help :-)

Nah, I'm too much of a "homebody" to go out much... I have to go out at
least once per month for banking and grocery shopping though... ;)

Bill
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 2:09:58 AM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:14:15 +1000, John Ward wrote:

> Strike me pink, mate - that's just flat out brilliant!!!!!

A flea and a fly, flew into a flue.
Said the flea to the fly, let us flee.
Said the fly to the flea, let us fly!
So together they flew through a flaw in the flue.

Through three cheese trees three free fleas flew.
While these fleas flew, freezy breeze blew.
Freezy breeze made these three trees freeze.

I am not a pheasant plucker,
I'm a pheasant plucker's son
but I'll be plucking pheasants
When the pheasant plucker's gone.

I am a mother pheasant plucker,
I pluck mother pheasants.
I am the best mother pheasant plucker,
that ever plucked a mother pheasant!

Bill
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 2:18:11 AM

On 24 Feb 2005 07:42:55 +0100, Thomas Suchan wrote:

> In Italy, one plural is to end the words with "i", like Spaghetti, Bambini,

In America, we have these "wonderful" canned treats called Spaghettios...

They must be very confused to mix up their plurals so badly... ;)

Bill
February 25, 2005 8:57:46 AM

"Bill Leaming"
> I am the best mother pheasant plucker,
> that ever plucked a mother pheasant!

I plucked up that last one...

Dallas
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 8:13:41 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:06:40 GMT, "Oscar" <asta@la.vista.net> wrote:

>Fascinating (vascinating, fascineting?) .... maybe you should get out more
>often, a night on the town might help :-)

....ough is the fun one. I use the word fun loosely, of course.

James
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:04:16 PM

Hi Bill,

Another corker, mate!

I even plucked it up just trying to read it fast, let alone say it. :-))

Regards, and have a pleasant day,
John Ward

!