Cannot add computers to my domain

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have a WinNT4 domain, all servers are at SP6a. We were
allowed to purchase 75 new computers to replace old,
ailing ones. The client machines are WinXP Pro.
The first classroom went in fine. There were 25 for that
room, and all configured and joind the domain without
issue. We went on to the next room, and got the first 6
machines on the domain fine. That was late on a Friday
afternoon. Monday came, back to work, and now no new
machines can find the domain. When trying to join, we get
"The following error occurred attempting to join the
domain "cas_nt":
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
contacted."

All the new machines that were previously configured are
still working fine.
Interesting enough, we can "backdoor" access, using
Workgroup, as long as we name the workgroup the same as
the domain. That is of course not an acceptible method,
for security purposes AND practicality. We can ping
addresses on the domain, but we cannot join it.
We are within licensing, as we are replacing machines, not
adding to the number we have.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dave

Sounds like a SID issue. I'd try joining a workgroup, rebooting, then trying to join the domain again.

"Dave" wrote:

> I have a WinNT4 domain, all servers are at SP6a. We were
> allowed to purchase 75 new computers to replace old,
> ailing ones. The client machines are WinXP Pro.
> The first classroom went in fine. There were 25 for that
> room, and all configured and joind the domain without
> issue. We went on to the next room, and got the first 6
> machines on the domain fine. That was late on a Friday
> afternoon. Monday came, back to work, and now no new
> machines can find the domain. When trying to join, we get
> "The following error occurred attempting to join the
> domain "cas_nt":
> The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
> contacted."
>
> All the new machines that were previously configured are
> still working fine.
> Interesting enough, we can "backdoor" access, using
> Workgroup, as long as we name the workgroup the same as
> the domain. That is of course not an acceptible method,
> for security purposes AND practicality. We can ping
> addresses on the domain, but we cannot join it.
> We are within licensing, as we are replacing machines, not
> adding to the number we have.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> Dave

Hey Dave, we are experiencing the same issue over here on
our LAN that is exactly similar to yours.

at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/magamieiko/Drawing1.jpg ,
you can see the network setup that we have. Workstation A
can logon to the NT4 domain without a problem, but
Workstation B is not able to see the domain, getting the
same error message as you. Workstation A can map to
computers on 10.41.244.0/22 by NETBIOS name.

The interesting thing is that on this side of the network,
it seems as if dynamic updating of computer accounts is
functioning. On that side, however, it is not. One of the
things I'm going to try is manually creating a computer
account in the domain for the system and try joining it
that way. We've been wanting to move our network to 2000
for a while and we're already starting preliminary
planning for the migration. The workstations already use
2000 or XP, it's only our 3 servers that we have to
migrate.

I have tried this and also tried using LMHOSTS entries in
order to help the systems function. I haven't been
successful as of yet. There are a couple of other things
we're going to try that I've found by browsing this news
group and the MSKB. If they don't work, then I am not sure
as of yet what to do.

Make sure NetBIOS over tcp/ip is enabled.
The issue points to name resolution but you don't mention
whether or not you have a name server e.g., WINS. A
personal firewall feature enabled on the machine will cause
this by blocking the necessay NetBIOS ports.