Hard Drive Humming when Spins??

My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
pre-cursor to something serious?
9 answers Last reply
More about hard drive humming spins

    what type of harddrive enclosure is it installed in? a cage that is
    removable? a slide bracket?
    "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message
    > My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
    > Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
    > loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
    > pre-cursor to something serious?

    "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote...
    > My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
    > Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
    > loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a pre-cursor
    > to something serious?

    Maybe...

    Or maybe a mounting screw is loose...

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:05:17 -0700, "Al Franz"
    <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote:

    > My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
    > Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
    > loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
    > pre-cursor to something serious?

    Resonance in your case?

    > Resonance in your case?

    Interesting. Could this be caused by dust? What may cause something like
    this? I did download the test software and it checks out ok.

    Al Franz wrote:
    > My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
    > Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
    > loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
    > pre-cursor to something serious?

    just off the top of my sleep deprived head (so keep that in mind) but if
    you've tried making sure the screws are tight, could it be a bearing in
    the drive mechanism going?

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    > Al Franz wrote:
    > > My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it
    spins.
    > > Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not
    > > loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
    > > pre-cursor to something serious?
    > >

    > just off the top of my sleep deprived head (so keep that in mind) but if
    > you've tried making sure the screws are tight, could it be a bearing in
    > the drive mechanism going?
    >
    > --
    > spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
    >
    > I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
    > neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
    > hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
    > marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
    > transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    > http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    > http://www.marrow.org/

    Is it a WD? They sometimes develop a "whine" from the bearings. Drive
    works OK , but gets too loud for comfort.
    Mike.

    "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    >> Al Franz wrote:
    >> > My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it
    > spins.
    >> > Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense,
    >> > not
    >> > loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
    >> > pre-cursor to something serious?
    >> >

    >> just off the top of my sleep deprived head (so keep that in mind) but if
    >> you've tried making sure the screws are tight, could it be a bearing in
    >> the drive mechanism going?
    >>
    >> --
    >> spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
    >>
    >> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
    >> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
    >> hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
    >> marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
    >> transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    >> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    >> http://www.marrow.org/
    >
    > Is it a WD? They sometimes develop a "whine" from the bearings. Drive
    > works OK , but gets too loud for comfort.
    > Mike.

    that's no lie - the wd 7200 rpm drives are notorious for this. anybody want
    a 30 that sounds like a jet engine? reliable, but damn it's loud

    "John Weiss" <jrweiss98155(at)@[nospam]comcast(dot).net> wrote in message
    > "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote...
    >> My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it
    >> spins. Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes
    >> sense, not a loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is
    >> this a pre-cursor to something serious?
    >
    > Maybe...
    >
    > Or maybe a mounting screw is loose...

    just the loose nut behind the wheel/keyboard

    "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message
    > My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
    > Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
    > loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
    > pre-cursor to something serious?

    i like a good hummer after a long day - kind of a nice way to unwind.

Homebuilt Hardware Hard Drives Systems