Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard Drive Humming when Spins??

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2005 3:05:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
pre-cursor to something serious?
June 28, 2005 4:57:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

what type of harddrive enclosure is it installed in? a cage that is
removable? a slide bracket?
"Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message
news:X7OdnSKIcdfGDFzfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
> Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
> loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
> pre-cursor to something serious?
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2005 6:46:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote...
> My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
> Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
> loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a pre-cursor
> to something serious?

Maybe...

Or maybe a mounting screw is loose...
Related resources
June 29, 2005 12:43:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:05:17 -0700, "Al Franz"
<albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote:

> My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
> Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
> loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
> pre-cursor to something serious?

Resonance in your case?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2005 12:43:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>
> Resonance in your case?
>

Interesting. Could this be caused by dust? What may cause something like
this? I did download the test software and it checks out ok.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2005 8:01:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Al Franz wrote:
> My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
> Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
> loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
> pre-cursor to something serious?
>
>
>

just off the top of my sleep deprived head (so keep that in mind) but if
you've tried making sure the screws are tight, could it be a bearing in
the drive mechanism going?

--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2005 8:01:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
news:42c1acaa@quokka.wn.com.au...
> Al Franz wrote:
> > My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it
spins.
> > Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not
a
> > loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
> > pre-cursor to something serious?
> >
> >
> >
>
> just off the top of my sleep deprived head (so keep that in mind) but if
> you've tried making sure the screws are tight, could it be a bearing in
> the drive mechanism going?
>
> --
> spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
>
> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
> hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
> marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
> transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
> http://www.marrow.org/

Is it a WD? They sometimes develop a "whine" from the bearings. Drive
works OK , but gets too loud for comfort.
Mike.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2005 1:43:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:42c1c82a$1_4@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
>
> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> news:42c1acaa@quokka.wn.com.au...
>> Al Franz wrote:
>> > My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it
> spins.
>> > Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense,
>> > not
> a
>> > loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
>> > pre-cursor to something serious?
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>> just off the top of my sleep deprived head (so keep that in mind) but if
>> you've tried making sure the screws are tight, could it be a bearing in
>> the drive mechanism going?
>>
>> --
>> spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
>>
>> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
>> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
>> hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
>> marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
>> transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
>> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
>> http://www.marrow.org/
>
> Is it a WD? They sometimes develop a "whine" from the bearings. Drive
> works OK , but gets too loud for comfort.
> Mike.
>
>

that's no lie - the wd 7200 rpm drives are notorious for this. anybody want
a 30 that sounds like a jet engine? reliable, but damn it's loud
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2005 1:43:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"John Weiss" <jrweiss98155(at)@[nospam]comcast(dot).net> wrote in message
news:p 5ydnZE8-pqwW1zfRVn-vQ@comcast.com...
> "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote...
>> My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it
>> spins. Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes
>> sense, not a loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is
>> this a pre-cursor to something serious?
>
> Maybe...
>
> Or maybe a mounting screw is loose...
>
>

just the loose nut behind the wheel/keyboard
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2005 1:45:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message
news:X7OdnSKIcdfGDFzfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> My hard drive has started making a very faint humming noise when it spins.
> Kind of like an insect you would hear outdoors, if that makes sense, not a
> loud grinding noise. Is this something to worry about? Is this a
> pre-cursor to something serious?
>
>
>

i like a good hummer after a long day - kind of a nice way to unwind.
!