from Workgroup to Domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 9, 2004 9:57:00 PM

I have a two computer WorkGroup now and need to convert to a Domain. Where
does it tell how to do that?
Thanks,

More about : workgroup domain

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:43:56 AM

Do you have a server (running Windows NT, 2000, or 2003 Server edition) ??

You'll need that.

For NT, you need to install the server from scratch and make sure you select
the option to create a domain controller during Windows setup.

For 2000/2003, you can run DCPROMO and follow the instructions.

It's a big step and I suggest you read up on it on Microsoft's web site and
maybe some books/courses.

Since you have provided absolutely no specific details, the only link I can
give you is http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/serveros.m...

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

"G. Dean Blake" <Dean@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o eltvTnfEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have a two computer WorkGroup now and need to convert to a Domain. Where
> does it tell how to do that?
> Thanks,

August 10, 2004 12:40:30 PM

My systems are both xp pro. Actually I just wanted to use Windows
Authentication for SQL Server but I was told that can't be done using a
WorkGroup. Sounds like I should stick with Workgroups for my two dev boxes.
Thanks,