Front USB ports don't work (Chenming case)

Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the case
have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course the
wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard (an
Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to match the
motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with docs and I
can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too (yellow,
purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and black), so I
can't even get any clues from the wire colors.

If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring, I'd
certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector wiring
is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to find
out. <sigh>
5 answers Last reply
More about front ports work chenming case

    "Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message

    > Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the
    case
    > have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course the
    > wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard (an
    > Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to match
    the
    > motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with docs and I
    > can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too (yellow,
    > purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and black), so I
    > can't even get any clues from the wire colors.
    >
    > If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring, I'd
    > certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector wiring
    > is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to find
    > out. <sigh>

    Which case model please.

    Richard

    http://www.vfaq.com/Case/#USB

    http://www.starmount.co.uk/s_usbpin.htm
    Some good help here.

    "Richard Kawamura" <rkawa@concentric.net> wrote in message

    > "Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the
    > case
    >> have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course the
    >> wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard (an
    >> Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to match
    > the
    >> motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with docs and
    >> can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too (yellow,
    >> purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and black), so I
    >> can't even get any clues from the wire colors.
    >>
    >> If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring,
    >> I'd
    >> certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector
    >> wiring
    >> is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to find
    >> out. <sigh>
    >>

    > Which case model please.
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > http://www.vfaq.com/Case/#USB

    Greetings, Richard. It's a Chenming CMUI-601AECB-U:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125436&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Cases

    I tried googling like a ut but still haven't found any info that tells me
    what each wire is for.

    "Richard Kawamura" <rkawa@concentric.net> wrote in message

    > "Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the
    > case
    >> have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course the
    >> wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard (an
    >> Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to match
    > the
    >> motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with docs and
    >> can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too (yellow,
    >> purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and black), so I
    >> can't even get any clues from the wire colors.
    >>
    >> If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring,
    >> I'd
    >> certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector
    >> wiring
    >> is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to find
    >> out. <sigh>
    >>

    > Which case model please.
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > http://www.vfaq.com/Case/#USB

    Greetings, Richard. It's a Chenming CMUI-601AECB-U:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125436&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Cases

    I tried googling like a but but still haven't found any info that tells me
    what each wire is for.

    > "Richard Kawamura" <rkawa@concentric.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the
    > > case
    > >> have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course
    the
    > >> wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard
    (an
    > >> Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to
    match
    > > the
    > >> motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with docs
    and
    > >> can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too
    (yellow,
    > >> purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and black), so
    > >> can't even get any clues from the wire colors.
    > >>
    > >> If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring,
    > >> I'd
    > >> certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector
    > >> wiring
    > >> is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to
    find
    > >> out. <sigh>
    > >>

    > > Which case model please.
    > >
    > > Richard
    > >
    > > http://www.vfaq.com/Case/#USB
    >

    > Greetings, Richard. It's a Chenming CMUI-601AECB-U:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125436&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Cases

    > I tried googling like a but but still haven't found any info that tells me
    > what each wire is for.

    Here's wiring specs for USB.

    http://www.pccables.com/cabtech.htm

    Richard

Homebuilt Cases USB Motherboards Systems Product