How can I improve night visibility?

In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ProJo
37 answers Last reply
More about improve night visibility

    "ProJo"
    > reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
    > much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    First you have to give us the specs of your set up. What display are you
    using? What graphics card?

    Dallas

    ProJo wrote:

    > In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
    > Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
    > reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
    > much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    >
    > ProJo

    Can you show some screen captures? My last 5 years in the Army I flew
    nothing but nights. I can tell you, it's dark, and dark air has no lift.

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    During the war (WW2) we were told it was the thing to eat carrots. Have you
    tried that?

    Quilly
    Website
    http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
    Do not reply personally, false address

    "ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
    > Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
    > reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
    > much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    >
    > ProJo

    Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out there
    in real life.
    I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it was
    in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.

    Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees better
    in the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches the
    approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches the
    screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the
    yoke and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
    please...every time!!
    Dudley Henriques
    International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
    for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
    dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message

    > "ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
    >> Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
    >> reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
    >> much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    >>
    >> ProJo
    >
    > Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out there in
    > real life.
    > I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it was
    > in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.
    >
    > Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees better in
    > the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches the
    > approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches the
    > screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the yoke
    > and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
    > please...every time!!
    > Dudley Henriques
    > International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    > Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
    > for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
    > dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

    Perhaps you can train mine then Dudley!
    He is currently banned after rubbing his chin against the fuel cutoff lever
    while I was on final approach!

    Chris

    "Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
    >>> Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
    >>> reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
    >>> much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> ProJo
    >>
    >> Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out there
    >> in real life.
    >> I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it was
    >> in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.
    >>
    >> Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees better
    >> in the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches the
    >> approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches the
    >> screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the
    >> yoke and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
    >> please...every time!!
    >> Dudley Henriques
    >> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    >> Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
    >> for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
    >> dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net
    >
    > Perhaps you can train mine then Dudley!
    > He is currently banned after rubbing his chin against the fuel cutoff
    > lever while I was on final approach!
    >
    > Chris

    Hey, all your cat was doing is giving you practice on emergency procedures.
    Perhaps he has visions of being an Instructor Pilot/Instrument Examiner some
    day and wants to sharpen his skills. :-)))

    Regards,
    Paul

    "Chris Curtis"
    > He is currently banned after rubbing his chin against the fuel cutoff
    lever
    > while I was on final approach!

    LOL been there...

    One of my cat can put the gear down by rubbing her chin on one of the yoke
    buttons. I think she wants to fly.

    Dallas

    "Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Perhaps you can train mine then Dudley!

    "Trained cat"= "oximoron of the day perhaps??????? :-)"

    > He is currently banned after rubbing his chin against the fuel cutoff
    > lever while I was on final approach!
    >
    > Chris

    Cats are extremely smart and frugal as we all know. In this instance I'm
    fairly certain that your cat was watching the approach closely enough
    that he could mentally compute the exact distance the airplane would
    have to travel from it's present position on the approach to the
    ramp at shutdown based on his fuel calculations.
    Then, based on the total energy the airplane had at that
    specific instant in time, the cat no doubt knew instinctively that the
    money he saved you by shutting off the fuel could be put to much better
    use on the way home from the airport by stopping at the Seven Eleven for
    some Meow Mix.
    DH

    Dudley Henriques wrote:
    > and shout loudly as he flew off the chair, "Check Mate AGAIN, you
    > stupid son of a bitch!!!"

    Do what I do with my co-pilot - refuse to play unless she has a queen (-)
    handicap!!

    Come on Guys,
    I made a very serious suggestion about eating more carrots and all you can
    do is talk about cats!
    ProJo needs our help here...

    "CRASH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
    > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >> and shout loudly as he flew off the chair, "Check Mate AGAIN, you
    >> stupid son of a bitch!!!"
    >

    > Do what I do with my co-pilot - refuse to play unless she has a queen
    > handicap!!

    Just a queen???? Not enough!! All I'd get with that is a damn stupid
    grin he gives me all the time after my first move as he tells me,
    "You absolutely sure you want to make that opening? That's mate in 37
    moves for sure you moron!! :-)

    DH

    > Come on Guys,
    > I made a very serious suggestion about eating more carrots and all you
    > can do is talk about cats!
    > ProJo needs our help here...

    Have YOU ever succeeded in getting a cat to eat a carrot? I haven't!!
    :-)
    DH

    > Have YOU ever succeeded in getting a cat to eat a carrot? I haven't!!
    > :-)
    > DH

    Just to make you feel bad, both our cats died last year, and I really miss
    them :-( :-( :-( 8 tears )

    >> Have YOU ever succeeded in getting a cat to eat a carrot? I haven't!!
    >> :-)
    >> DH
    >
    > Just to make you feel bad, both our cats died last year, and I really
    > miss them :-( :-( :-( 8 tears )

    God, that does make me feel bad! We lost ours as well after 15 years
    together. I've tried to tell people how it felt, but somehow, I just
    don't feel I ever managed to say it so that people understood how much
    pain it was.
    DH

    "Quilljar"
    > I made a very serious suggestion about eating more carrots and all you can
    > do is talk about cats!

    I took your suggestion and my nose and eyes turned pink.

    Dallas

    "ProJo"
    > Gee, thanks for all the help. Let me know if I can return the favor.

    Well, come on.. we did ask for your computers graphics card and monitor
    specs...

    But, even without those I can say you can likely improve your night vision
    by carefully going through the exercises on this website to set your gamma
    and contrast.

    http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

    Dallas

    Dallas wrote:

    > I took your suggestion and my nose and eyes turned pink.

    I won't ask how you can tell - JayDub might, but I won't............
    d:->))
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi ProJo,
    >
    > There are various addons available which provide better stars, a photo
    > realistic moon, and improved night lighting of the roads, etc, if that's
    > what you mean?
    >
    > Regards,
    > John Ward

    Hi ProJo

    Don't be too frustrated with the response! There are some great and helpful
    people here but I'm afraid with greatness there comes a hint of madness too!
    Hardware specs would be useful; I haven't done anything to my setup and get
    good clear stars, etc.
    Is it a flat screen?
    Calibration would almost certainly help.

    Chris
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    a hint of madness too!

    Chris

    A 'hint' ! !!! ???

    --
    Quilly
    Website
    http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
    Do not reply personally, false address
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Dudley,

    ROTFL!

    Rip snorter, mate! :-))

    Regards,
    John Ward
    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message

    > "ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
    > > Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
    > > reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
    > > much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    > >
    > > ProJo
    >
    > Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out there
    > in real life.
    > I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it was
    > in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.
    >
    > Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees better
    > in the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches the
    > approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches the
    > screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the
    > yoke and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
    > please...every time!!
    > Dudley Henriques
    > International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    > Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
    > for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
    > dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi JW;

    Did you get an email from me about avionics for the Spit?
    > Hi Dudley,
    >
    > ROTFL!
    >
    > Rip snorter, mate! :-))
    >
    > Regards,
    > John Ward
    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> > In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
    >> > Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
    >> > reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
    >> > much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > ProJo
    >>
    >> Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out
    >> there
    >> in real life.
    >> I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it
    >> was
    >> in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.
    >>
    >> Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees
    >> better
    >> in the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches
    >> the
    >> approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches
    >> the
    >> screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the
    >> yoke and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
    >> please...every time!!
    >> Dudley Henriques
    >> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    >> Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
    >> for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
    >> dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Quilljar,

    I've heard that people also see things more clearly after a pint or two
    of Guiness.

    I don't know whether that's true or not, so I suppose, just in the
    interest of accuracy, someone should do some scientific research... :-))

    Regards,
    John Ward

    > During the war (WW2) we were told it was the thing to eat carrots. Have
    you
    > tried that?
    >
    > Quilly
    > Website
    > http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
    > Do not reply personally, false address

  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Quilljar,

    Oh, OK then - there's always the obvious thing to do, turn on the
    lights!

    That usually brightens things up for me. :-)

    Regards,
    John Ward
    > Come on Guys,
    > I made a very serious suggestion about eating more carrots and all you can
    > do is talk about cats!
    > ProJo needs our help here...
    >
    > Quilly
    > Website
    > http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
    > Do not reply personally, false address

  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    All I know about Guiness is that there is supposed to be a pork chop in
    every glass. This is the nutritional value, you understand not an actual
    pork chop. Otherwise, you would find that Homer Simpson had already drunk
    every glass before you could get to it.

    Quilly
    Website
    http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
    Do not reply personally, false address
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Dudley,

    Sure did - I'm still working on it, and the other one about the Mustang.

    Sorry to be so slow - maybe I need a cat to get me better organised? :-)

    Regards,
    John Ward
    > Hi JW;
    >
    > Did you get an email from me about avionics for the Spit?
    > "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Hi Dudley,
    > >
    > > ROTFL!
    > >
    > > Rip snorter, mate! :-))
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > John Ward
    > > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message

    > >> Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out
    > >> there
    > >> in real life.
    > >> I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it
    > >> was
    > >> in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.
    > >>
    > >> Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees
    > >> better
    > >> in the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches
    > >> the
    > >> approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches
    > >> the
    > >> screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the
    > >> yoke and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
    > >> please...every time!!
    > >> Dudley Henriques
    > >> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    > >> Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
    > >> for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
    > >> dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Cats will just slow you down.:-)
    No sweat on the avionics. I'll just fly the thing as it is for awhile
    and pray for vectors !!
    :-))
    Dudley

    > Hi Dudley,
    >
    > Sure did - I'm still working on it, and the other one about the
    > Mustang.
    >
    > Sorry to be so slow - maybe I need a cat to get me better
    > organised? :-)
    >
    > Regards,
    > John Ward
    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi JW;
    >>
    >> Did you get an email from me about avionics for the Spit?
    >> "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Dudley,
    >> >
    >> > ROTFL!
    >> >
    >> > Rip snorter, mate! :-))
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
    >> > John Ward
    >> > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message

  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Quilljar"
    > a hint of madness too!
    > A 'hint' ! !!! ???

    Well in your case a generous dose.

    Dallas
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Ive just seen this thread and perhaps my new post "here n there" is
    appropiate

    Butts

    "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
    > ProJo wrote:
    >
    >> In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
    >> Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
    >> reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
    >> much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    >>
    >> ProJo
    >
    > Can you show some screen captures? My last 5 years in the Army I flew
    > nothing but nights. I can tell you, it's dark, and dark air has no lift.
    >
    > --
    >
    > boB
    >
    > U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "John Ward"
    > I've got 'em all saved.

    Until your hard drive crashes again. : P

    Dallas
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    How can you tell?

    John

    > "Quilljar"
    > > I made a very serious suggestion about eating more carrots and all you
    can
    > > do is talk about cats!
    >
    > I took your suggestion and my nose and eyes turned pink.
    >

    > Dallas

  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "John Ward"
    > > I took your suggestion and my nose and eyes turned pink.
    > How can you tell?

    I took a photo of myself:
    http://www.saivisme.nl/images/white_rabbit.jpg

    Dallas
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Dallas,

    Keep munching, mate - Quilly's never wrong, carrotts are good!

    Ya can't beta carotene can ya. :-)

    Regards,
    Bright Eyes

    > "John Ward"
    > > > I took your suggestion and my nose and eyes turned pink.
    > > How can you tell?
    >

    > I took a photo of myself:
    > http://www.saivisme.nl/images/white_rabbit.jpg
    >

    > Dallas

  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Dallas,

    On re-writable CDs this time, using Caspar.

    Some things are just irreplaceable!

    Regards,
    John Ward

    > "John Ward"
    > > I've got 'em all saved.
    >

    > Until your hard drive crashes again. : P
    >
    > Dallas

  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:48:21 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
    <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

    >"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Have YOU ever succeeded in getting a cat to eat a carrot? I haven't!!
    >>> :-)
    >>> DH
    >>
    >> Just to make you feel bad, both our cats died last year, and I really
    >> miss them :-( :-( :-( 8 tears )
    >
    >God, that does make me feel bad! We lost ours as well after 15 years
    >together. I've tried to tell people how it felt, but somehow, I just
    >don't feel I ever managed to say it so that people understood how much
    >pain it was.

    Hi Dudley

    I do know how you feel, but just to make you feel worse ... ;-)

    31 Dec 1994, Mum died - no tears
    Mid 1998, had 18 year old cat put down (murdered) - loadsa sobs

    <URL:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Olympus_small.jpg> Olympus
    in her younger days.

    James
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi James Hodson,

    Oh - I was expecting to see a picture of your Mum! :-)

    Regards,
    John
    "James Hodson" <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:48:21 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
    > <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:
    >

    > >"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Just to make you feel bad, both our cats died last year, and I really
    > >> miss them :-( :-( :-( 8 tears )
    > >
    > >God, that does make me feel bad! We lost ours as well after 15 years
    > >together. I've tried to tell people how it felt, but somehow, I just
    > >don't feel I ever managed to say it so that people understood how much
    > >pain it was.
    >
    > Hi Dudley
    >
    > I do know how you feel, but just to make you feel worse ... ;-)
    >
    > 31 Dec 1994, Mum died - no tears
    > Mid 1998, had 18 year old cat put down (murdered) - loadsa sobs
    >
    > <URL:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Olympus_small.jpg> Olympus
    > in her younger days.
    >
    > James
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:34:09 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
    dhenriques@trashearthlink.net brought the following to our attention:

    >"ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
    >> Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
    >> reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
    >> much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    >>

    >Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out there in
    >real life. I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than
    >it was in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.

    Kinda' late with this reply.. getting caught up and didn't get to read
    all of the thread. If it's dark and there's no moonlight.. or ground
    lights.. then it will look VERY black. OTOH a lot can be done with a
    good set of terrain textures.. especially the (night) _L.bmp's.

    These guys are, for most part, the `tt' gurus: (and others of course)

    * Ruud Faber

    * Lennart Arvidsson

    Would be worth searching around for their files. Ruud is the author
    of FScene. Also check out `Dawn/Dusk Texture Smoothing' and
    `Multi-Texturing' setting in DISPLAY menu.

    Another trick that seems to work when clouds are in the sky.. is a
    replacement moon bmp. Many are contained in FS Sky World zips.
    There seems to be a difference when using the LARGE white moon
    file.. illuminating the clouds.. as the sun bitmap makes a difference.

    Some good landclass files will `lay in' night bitmaps where they
    should be.. that in combination with the NIGHT textures mentioned
    above!!

    - the more you Sim.. the better it becomes!!
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:06:15 +1000, "John Ward"
    <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

    >Oh - I was expecting to see a picture of your Mum! :-)

    I'll get my shovel ...

    James

Games Microsoft Video Games