How can I improve night visibility?

In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ProJo

dallas

"ProJo"
> reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
> much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.

First you have to give us the specs of your set up. What display are you
using? What graphics card?

Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ProJo wrote:

> In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
> Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
> reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
> much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>
> ProJo

Can you show some screen captures? My last 5 years in the Army I flew
nothing but nights. I can tell you, it's dark, and dark air has no lift.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

During the war (WW2) we were told it was the thing to eat carrots. Have you
tried that?

Quilly
Website
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
Do not reply personally, false address

"ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
> Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
> reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
> much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>
> ProJo

Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out there
in real life.
I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it was
in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.

Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees better
in the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches the
approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches the
screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the
yoke and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
please...every time!!
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message

> "ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>> In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
>> Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
>> reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
>> much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>
>> ProJo
>
> Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out there in
> real life.
> I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it was
> in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.
>
> Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees better in
> the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches the
> approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches the
> screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the yoke
> and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
> please...every time!!
> Dudley Henriques
> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
> Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
> for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
> dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

Perhaps you can train mine then Dudley!
He is currently banned after rubbing his chin against the fuel cutoff lever
while I was on final approach!

Chris

"Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
>>> Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
>>> reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
>>> much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>>
>>> ProJo
>>
>> Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out there
>> in real life.
>> I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it was
>> in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.
>>
>> Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees better
>> in the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches the
>> approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches the
>> screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the
>> yoke and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
>> please...every time!!
>> Dudley Henriques
>> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
>> Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
>> for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
>> dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net
>
> Perhaps you can train mine then Dudley!
> He is currently banned after rubbing his chin against the fuel cutoff
> lever while I was on final approach!
>
> Chris

Hey, all your cat was doing is giving you practice on emergency procedures.
Perhaps he has visions of being an Instructor Pilot/Instrument Examiner some
day and wants to sharpen his skills. :)))

Regards,
Paul

dallas

"Chris Curtis"
> He is currently banned after rubbing his chin against the fuel cutoff
lever
> while I was on final approach!

LOL been there...

One of my cat can put the gear down by rubbing her chin on one of the yoke
buttons. I think she wants to fly.

Dallas

"Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> Perhaps you can train mine then Dudley!

"Trained cat"= "oximoron of the day perhaps??????? :)"

> He is currently banned after rubbing his chin against the fuel cutoff
> lever while I was on final approach!
>
> Chris

Cats are extremely smart and frugal as we all know. In this instance I'm
fairly certain that your cat was watching the approach closely enough
that he could mentally compute the exact distance the airplane would
have to travel from it's present position on the approach to the
ramp at shutdown based on his fuel calculations.
Then, based on the total energy the airplane had at that
specific instant in time, the cat no doubt knew instinctively that the
money he saved you by shutting off the fuel could be put to much better
use on the way home from the airport by stopping at the Seven Eleven for
some Meow Mix.
DH

crash

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> and shout loudly as he flew off the chair, "Check Mate AGAIN, you
> stupid son of a bitch!!!"

Do what I do with my co-pilot - refuse to play unless she has a queen (-)
handicap!!

Come on Guys,
I made a very serious suggestion about eating more carrots and all you can
do is talk about cats!
ProJo needs our help here...

"CRASH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>> and shout loudly as he flew off the chair, "Check Mate AGAIN, you
>> stupid son of a bitch!!!"
>

> Do what I do with my co-pilot - refuse to play unless she has a queen
> handicap!!

Just a queen???? Not enough!! All I'd get with that is a damn stupid
grin he gives me all the time after my first move as he tells me,
"You absolutely sure you want to make that opening? That's mate in 37
moves for sure you moron!! :)

DH

> Come on Guys,
> I made a very serious suggestion about eating more carrots and all you
> can do is talk about cats!
> ProJo needs our help here...

Have YOU ever succeeded in getting a cat to eat a carrot? I haven't!!
:)
DH

> Have YOU ever succeeded in getting a cat to eat a carrot? I haven't!!
> :)
> DH

Just to make you feel bad, both our cats died last year, and I really miss
them :-( :-( :-( 8 tears )

>> Have YOU ever succeeded in getting a cat to eat a carrot? I haven't!!
>> :)
>> DH
>
> Just to make you feel bad, both our cats died last year, and I really
> miss them :-( :-( :-( 8 tears )

God, that does make me feel bad! We lost ours as well after 15 years
together. I've tried to tell people how it felt, but somehow, I just
don't feel I ever managed to say it so that people understood how much
pain it was.
DH

dallas

"Quilljar"
> I made a very serious suggestion about eating more carrots and all you can
> do is talk about cats!

I took your suggestion and my nose and eyes turned pink.

Dallas

dallas

"ProJo"
> Gee, thanks for all the help. Let me know if I can return the favor.

Well, come on.. we did ask for your computers graphics card and monitor
specs...

But, even without those I can say you can likely improve your night vision
by carefully going through the exercises on this website to set your gamma
and contrast.

http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

Dallas

crash

Dallas wrote:

> I took your suggestion and my nose and eyes turned pink.

I won't ask how you can tell - JayDub might, but I won't............
d:->))

"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi ProJo,
>
> There are various addons available which provide better stars, a photo
> realistic moon, and improved night lighting of the roads, etc, if that's
> what you mean?
>
> Regards,
> John Ward

Hi ProJo

Don't be too frustrated with the response! There are some great and helpful
people here but I'm afraid with greatness there comes a hint of madness too!
Hardware specs would be useful; I haven't done anything to my setup and get
good clear stars, etc.
Is it a flat screen?
Calibration would almost certainly help.

Chris

a hint of madness too!

Chris

A 'hint' ! !!! ???

--
Quilly
Website
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
Do not reply personally, false address

Hi Dudley,

ROTFL!

Rip snorter, mate! :))

Regards,
John Ward
"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message

> "ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> > In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
> > Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
> > reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
> > much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
> >
> > ProJo
>
> Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out there
> in real life.
> I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it was
> in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.
>
> Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees better
> in the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches the
> approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches the
> screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the
> yoke and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
> please...every time!!
> Dudley Henriques
> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
> Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
> for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
> dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

Hi JW;

Did you get an email from me about avionics for the Spit?
> Hi Dudley,
>
> ROTFL!
>
> Rip snorter, mate! :))
>
> Regards,
> John Ward
> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "ProJo" <jjoseph3@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>> > In the first versions of FS it was pretty easy to fly VFR at night.
>> > Now, it seems pretty difficult to see. This can't be closer to
>> > reality because when I fly a commercial flight I can see everything
>> > much more clearly than in FS. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>> >
>> > ProJo
>>
>> Actually, aside from a moonlit night, it can get pretty black out
>> there
>> in real life.
>> I believe MS went to a more realistic night scenario in 2004 than it
>> was
>> in 2002; at least that was mentioned during the beta process.
>>
>> Personally, in the simulator, I use the cat method since he sees
>> better
>> in the dark than I do. The cat sits next to the monitor and watches
>> the
>> approach closely. I just keep the needles centered while he watches
>> the
>> screen. When he yowls in terror and jumps up, I just pull back on the
>> yoke and the airplane sits down on the runway just as nice as you
>> please...every time!!
>> Dudley Henriques
>> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
>> Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
>> for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
>> dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

Hi Quilljar,

I've heard that people also see things more clearly after a pint or two
of Guiness.

I don't know whether that's true or not, so I suppose, just in the
interest of accuracy, someone should do some scientific research... :))

Regards,
John Ward

> During the war (WW2) we were told it was the thing to eat carrots. Have
you
> tried that?
>
> Quilly
> Website
> http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
> Do not reply personally, false address

Hi Quilljar,

Oh, OK then - there's always the obvious thing to do, turn on the
lights!

That usually brightens things up for me. :)

Regards,
John Ward
> Come on Guys,
> I made a very serious suggestion about eating more carrots and all you can
> do is talk about cats!
> ProJo needs our help here...
>
> Quilly
> Website
> http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
> Do not reply personally, false address

All I know about Guiness is that there is supposed to be a pork chop in
every glass. This is the nutritional value, you understand not an actual
pork chop. Otherwise, you would find that Homer Simpson had already drunk
every glass before you could get to it.