Wireless access to parallel printer ??

I have to provide a home for a Lexmark Optra 1200 printer (parallel
interface). Problem is space - it will have to go upstairs (1st
floor), my PC is on the ground floor, total straight line distance
about 20 meters. There's a wooden floor/ceiling in the way, plus one
(maybe two) load bearing (brick) walls supporting the central
stairway, plus sundry furniture & metal cabinets.

I guess I need a wireless link. I'm not a newbie, but I've not used
wireless Tech before. Browsing the web has so far only confused me :-
Print server, or not? 802.11 or Bluetooth?

My PC has a 1.4Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Win 98SE (fully patched), USB 1.1,
no NIC installed (but I have one lying around). There's an Epson C60
ink-jet printer currently connected to the parallel port, but I can
move that over to USB. Also price may be an issue, especially as the
budget might be limited to around £75-£100 (gbp) -- yet to be
negotiated with my wife!

Also ... any security implications in such a set-up? ( I run the
Zone-Alarm firewall - relevant?)

Can anyone point me at some friendly non-confusing info on the web?

-- MummerX
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless access parallel printer

    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174

    "Don" <nospam@please.gov> wrote in message
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174

    One thing to note is that these "generic" print servers do not manage the
    propietary "bi-directional" code that tells you if the printer is jammed,
    printer is out of paper, ink is low, etc.

    > "Douglas Brown" <MummerX_SST@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have to provide a home for a Lexmark Optra 1200 printer (parallel
    > > interface). Problem is space - it will have to go upstairs (1st
    > > floor), my PC is on the ground floor, total straight line distance
    > > about 20 meters. There's a wooden floor/ceiling in the way, plus one
    > > (maybe two) load bearing (brick) walls supporting the central
    > > stairway, plus sundry furniture & metal cabinets.
    > >
    > > I guess I need a wireless link. I'm not a newbie, but I've not used
    > > wireless Tech before. Browsing the web has so far only confused me :-
    > > Print server, or not? 802.11 or Bluetooth?
    > >
    > > My PC has a 1.4Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Win 98SE (fully patched), USB 1.1,
    > > no NIC installed (but I have one lying around). There's an Epson C60
    > > ink-jet printer currently connected to the parallel port, but I can
    > > move that over to USB. Also price may be an issue, especially as the
    > > budget might be limited to around £75-£100 (gbp) -- yet to be
    > > negotiated with my wife!
    > >
    > > Also ... any security implications in such a set-up? ( I run the
    > > Zone-Alarm firewall - relevant?)
    > >
    > > Can anyone point me at some friendly non-confusing info on the web?
    > >
    > > -- MummerX

    Just to avoid the shock later, might be important to note that these types
    of generic print servers don't manage the propietary "bi-directional" code
    that tells your computer that the printer is low in in, out of paper,
    jammed, etc.

    //rus//

    "Don" <nospam@please.gov> wrote in message
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174
    >

    > "Douglas Brown" <MummerX_SST@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have to provide a home for a Lexmark Optra 1200 printer (parallel
    > > interface). Problem is space - it will have to go upstairs (1st
    > > floor), my PC is on the ground floor, total straight line distance
    > > about 20 meters. There's a wooden floor/ceiling in the way, plus one
    > > (maybe two) load bearing (brick) walls supporting the central
    > > stairway, plus sundry furniture & metal cabinets.
    > >
    > > I guess I need a wireless link. I'm not a newbie, but I've not used
    > > wireless Tech before. Browsing the web has so far only confused me :-
    > > Print server, or not? 802.11 or Bluetooth?
    > >
    > > My PC has a 1.4Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Win 98SE (fully patched), USB 1.1,
    > > no NIC installed (but I have one lying around). There's an Epson C60
    > > ink-jet printer currently connected to the parallel port, but I can
    > > move that over to USB. Also price may be an issue, especially as the
    > > budget might be limited to around £75-£100 (gbp) -- yet to be
    > > negotiated with my wife!
    > >
    > > Also ... any security implications in such a set-up? ( I run the
    > > Zone-Alarm firewall - relevant?)
    > >
    > > Can anyone point me at some friendly non-confusing info on the web?
    > >
    > > -- MummerX

Printers Wireless Access Peripherals Product