Creating a network form Desktop to Laptop

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 2, 2005 10:32:01 PM

I am running XP Home on my desktop & XP Media Center on my laptop. I am able
to share my internet connection on both computers thanks to my router
(netgear WGR614 v6). My problem is that I am not able to network both
computers in order to share the files. I need to move some of the files from
my desktop to my laptop. Do I need a wireless adapter for my desktop in order
to network the computers together?

If anyone has a step by step (or a Dummy's Guide) to networking with my
criteria I would really appreciate it.

I have tried the wizards, I have tried some of the links in this newsgroup
but I have not been able to set up a network to share my files.

Desperate in SF
Andy
August 3, 2005 2:39:26 AM

If you have them hardwired to the router, no, You didn't mention how the
laptop is connected to the router??? you only need a wireless adapter if you
want the laptop to be wirelessly connected. No, you definitely do not need a
wireless adapter on the desktop.:But you do need to make a workgroup, etc.Go
here., everything you need to know:
http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
Good luck
Frank L

"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running XP Home on my desktop & XP Media Center on my laptop. I am
>able
> to share my internet connection on both computers thanks to my router
> (netgear WGR614 v6). My problem is that I am not able to network both
> computers in order to share the files. I need to move some of the files
> from
> my desktop to my laptop. Do I need a wireless adapter for my desktop in
> order
> to network the computers together?
>
> If anyone has a step by step (or a Dummy's Guide) to networking with my
> criteria I would really appreciate it.
>
> I have tried the wizards, I have tried some of the links in this newsgroup
> but I have not been able to set up a network to share my files.
>
> Desperate in SF
> Andy

August 4, 2005 2:59:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Still no network.
I have disabled the firewalls and the security software. File sharing is
enabled on both computers.

I have my desktop hardwirded to a router and the laptop is wirelessly
connected to the router. Internet is perfect.

I created a workgroup on my desktop and my laptop, However I am not able to
access the workgroup on the laptop from the laptop or the desktop. On the
laptop I am told I do not have permission... ask administrator. Since I am
not able to create a network, I am not able to view either workgroup from
either computer.

Any other suggestions?

"Frank" wrote:

> If you have them hardwired to the router, no, You didn't mention how the
> laptop is connected to the router??? you only need a wireless adapter if you
> want the laptop to be wirelessly connected. No, you definitely do not need a
> wireless adapter on the desktop.:But you do need to make a workgroup, etc.Go
> here., everything you need to know:
> http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
> Good luck
> Frank L
>

> "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running XP Home on my desktop & XP Media Center on my laptop. I am
> >able
> > to share my internet connection on both computers thanks to my router
> > (netgear WGR614 v6). My problem is that I am not able to network both
> > computers in order to share the files. I need to move some of the files
> > from
> > my desktop to my laptop. Do I need a wireless adapter for my desktop in
> > order
> > to network the computers together?
> >
> > If anyone has a step by step (or a Dummy's Guide) to networking with my
> > criteria I would really appreciate it.
> >
> > I have tried the wizards, I have tried some of the links in this newsgroup
> > but I have not been able to set up a network to share my files.
> >
> > Desperate in SF
> > Andy

a b D Laptop
August 5, 2005 5:58:34 PM

I am having the exact same problem, Andy. Did you figure it out?

"Andy" wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. Still no network.
> I have disabled the firewalls and the security software. File sharing is
> enabled on both computers.
>
> I have my desktop hardwirded to a router and the laptop is wirelessly
> connected to the router. Internet is perfect.
>
> I created a workgroup on my desktop and my laptop, However I am not able to
> access the workgroup on the laptop from the laptop or the desktop. On the
> laptop I am told I do not have permission... ask administrator. Since I am
> not able to create a network, I am not able to view either workgroup from
> either computer.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> "Frank" wrote:
>
> > If you have them hardwired to the router, no, You didn't mention how the
> > laptop is connected to the router??? you only need a wireless adapter if you
> > want the laptop to be wirelessly connected. No, you definitely do not need a
> > wireless adapter on the desktop.:But you do need to make a workgroup, etc.Go
> > here., everything you need to know:
> > http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
> > Good luck
> > Frank L
> >

> > "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am running XP Home on my desktop & XP Media Center on my laptop. I am
> > >able
> > > to share my internet connection on both computers thanks to my router
> > > (netgear WGR614 v6). My problem is that I am not able to network both
> > > computers in order to share the files. I need to move some of the files
> > > from
> > > my desktop to my laptop. Do I need a wireless adapter for my desktop in
> > > order
> > > to network the computers together?
> > >
> > > If anyone has a step by step (or a Dummy's Guide) to networking with my
> > > criteria I would really appreciate it.
> > >
> > > I have tried the wizards, I have tried some of the links in this newsgroup
> > > but I have not been able to set up a network to share my files.
> > >
> > > Desperate in SF
> > > Andy

August 6, 2005 2:36:02 AM

No solution yet, you may want to try this: www.networkmagic.com.
I installed it and it looked like it would work except that it did not
recognize the version of my router (netgear WGR614 v6 if you have V4 or less
you are ok). The application supports lots of different router models and
makes. hopefully this will work for you.

I am still searching
Andy

"cctx" wrote:

> I am having the exact same problem, Andy. Did you figure it out?
>
> "Andy" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion. Still no network.
> > I have disabled the firewalls and the security software. File sharing is
> > enabled on both computers.
> >
> > I have my desktop hardwirded to a router and the laptop is wirelessly
> > connected to the router. Internet is perfect.
> >
> > I created a workgroup on my desktop and my laptop, However I am not able to
> > access the workgroup on the laptop from the laptop or the desktop. On the
> > laptop I am told I do not have permission... ask administrator. Since I am
> > not able to create a network, I am not able to view either workgroup from
> > either computer.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > "Frank" wrote:
> >
> > > If you have them hardwired to the router, no, You didn't mention how the
> > > laptop is connected to the router??? you only need a wireless adapter if you
> > > want the laptop to be wirelessly connected. No, you definitely do not need a
> > > wireless adapter on the desktop.:But you do need to make a workgroup, etc.Go
> > > here., everything you need to know:
> > > http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
> > > Good luck
> > > Frank L
> > >

> > > "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

August 10, 2005 12:59:13 AM

Hi Cindy,
it seems the problem about the file sharing lies in the norton security.
if anyone has it on their pc's they need to open up to Personal filewall /
configure, then click networking tab and check they have settings for :
HOME active, then add the pc's you want to share ie: your ip addresses to
the trusted zone,. Also in the locations tab ensure 'Turn network Detector'
is checked. also keep firewalls set to on.
hope this helps
Bren
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2005 2:56:11 AM

That did the trick thanks so much!!!!!

--
nocomputerman
August 10, 2005 10:59:13 AM

That worked. Than You

"bren" wrote:

> Hi Cindy,
> it seems the problem about the file sharing lies in the norton security.
> if anyone has it on their pc's they need to open up to Personal filewall /
> configure, then click networking tab and check they have settings for :
> HOME active, then add the pc's you want to share ie: your ip addresses to
> the trusted zone,. Also in the locations tab ensure 'Turn network Detector'
> is checked. also keep firewalls set to on.
> hope this helps
> Bren

August 10, 2005 11:00:04 AM

Try this. It worked.