Desktop I con Placement

I have noticed that a few programs I've instealled have the ability to make
a shortcut on the desktop that will move itself ahead of the folders after
an "arrange by name or type."

Some of them can have their target changed and even be renamed and still
exibit this behavior.

To me this is very handy and I would very much like to know how to do it. I
have found that copying the icons does not give the copy this same ability,
even if the target and name are not changed.

I use the quick launch area frequently, but it would be nice to be able to
move certain shortcuts over to the left side of the desktop and have them
stay there through an "arrange."

Since I know this can and is being done, can anyone give me a hint about how
it is being done?

cmsix
4 answers Last reply
More about desktop placement

    Shortcuts that are created in Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop will be placed before shortcuts created in Documents and Settings\<username>\Desktop. Additionally, some programs do have the ability to identify themselves as System icons, not just ordinary shortcuts, and these will be placed along with My Computer, My Documents and etc.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message news:%23EeBjCXfEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >I have noticed that a few programs I've instealled have the ability to make
    > a shortcut on the desktop that will move itself ahead of the folders after
    > an "arrange by name or type."
    >
    > Some of them can have their target changed and even be renamed and still
    > exibit this behavior.
    >
    > To me this is very handy and I would very much like to know how to do it. I
    > have found that copying the icons does not give the copy this same ability,
    > even if the target and name are not changed.
    >
    > I use the quick launch area frequently, but it would be nice to be able to
    > move certain shortcuts over to the left side of the desktop and have them
    > stay there through an "arrange."
    >
    > Since I know this can and is being done, can anyone give me a hint about how
    > it is being done?
    >
    > cmsix

    >"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >Shortcuts that are created in Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Desktop will be >placed before shortcuts created in Documents
    and >Settings\<username>\Desktop. Additionally, some programs do
    have the >ability to identify themselves as System icons, not just
    ordinary shortcuts, and >these will be placed along with My Computer,
    My Documents and etc.

    Thanks for the information. I tried it and it certainly works as
    predicted.

    On another note, I'm not very familiar with the Microsoft Newsgroups.
    I noticed that you top posted and I wonder if that is standard
    procedure here. I also noticed that Outlook Express refused to use >
    to indent your message in my reply (had to do it the old fashioned
    way). Have you done something to your messages to prevent this?

    I realize I'm being a little nosey here and if it's too nosey, don't
    be too shy to tell me so.

    cmsix

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message
    >I have noticed that a few programs I've instealled have the ability
    to make
    > a shortcut on the desktop that will move itself ahead of the folders
    after
    > an "arrange by name or type."
    >
    > Some of them can have their target changed and even be renamed and
    still
    > exibit this behavior.
    >
    > To me this is very handy and I would very much like to know how to
    do it. I
    > have found that copying the icons does not give the copy this same
    ability,
    > even if the target and name are not changed.
    >
    > I use the quick launch area frequently, but it would be nice to be
    able to
    > move certain shortcuts over to the left side of the desktop and have
    them
    > stay there through an "arrange."
    >
    > Since I know this can and is being done, can anyone give me a hint
    about how
    > it is being done?
    >
    > cmsix

    Technically, USENET etiquette says you should bottom post. I find that it makes it easier for most users to find their answers at the top of the Reply. Plus, that's the way OE is set up.

    As for the indentation, I use Mime, Quoted, Printable, which may be the cause of the lack of indentation.

    "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message news:%23IQH9sXfEHA.2352@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    >>"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>Shortcuts that are created in Documents and Settings\All
    > Users\Desktop will be >placed before shortcuts created in Documents
    > and >Settings\<username>\Desktop. Additionally, some programs do
    > have the >ability to identify themselves as System icons, not just
    > ordinary shortcuts, and >these will be placed along with My Computer,
    > My Documents and etc.
    >
    > Thanks for the information. I tried it and it certainly works as
    > predicted.
    >
    > On another note, I'm not very familiar with the Microsoft Newsgroups.
    > I noticed that you top posted and I wonder if that is standard
    > procedure here. I also noticed that Outlook Express refused to use >
    > to indent your message in my reply (had to do it the old fashioned
    > way). Have you done something to your messages to prevent this?
    >
    > I realize I'm being a little nosey here and if it's too nosey, don't
    > be too shy to tell me so.
    >
    > cmsix
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message
    >>I have noticed that a few programs I've instealled have the ability
    > to make
    >> a shortcut on the desktop that will move itself ahead of the folders
    > after
    >> an "arrange by name or type."
    >>
    >> Some of them can have their target changed and even be renamed and
    > still
    >> exibit this behavior.
    >>
    >> To me this is very handy and I would very much like to know how to
    > do it. I
    >> have found that copying the icons does not give the copy this same
    > ability,
    >> even if the target and name are not changed.
    >>
    >> I use the quick launch area frequently, but it would be nice to be
    > able to
    >> move certain shortcuts over to the left side of the desktop and have
    > them
    >> stay there through an "arrange."
    >>
    >> Since I know this can and is being done, can anyone give me a hint
    > about how
    >> it is being done?
    >>
    >> cmsix

    Ah, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

> [...]

    folders
    > after
    >> an "arrange by name or type."
    >>
    >> Some of them can have their target changed and even be renamed and
    > still
    >> exibit this behavior.
    >>
    >> To me this is very handy and I would very much like to know how to
    > do it. I
    >> have found that copying the icons does not give the copy this same
    > ability,
    >> even if the target and name are not changed.
    >>
    >> I use the quick launch area frequently, but it would be nice to be
    > able to
    >> move certain shortcuts over to the left side of the desktop and
    have
    > them
    >> stay there through an "arrange."
    >>
    >> Since I know this can and is being done, can anyone give me a hint

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP