Inexpensive compatible video card for SP2?

My old video card didn't make the upgrade to Windows XP SP2, so I'm
looking for a compatible card.

The system is a PIII-500 with 576MB of RAM. I've got a PCI and AGP slot
available for the card.

I'm running Microsoft Office and a little Photoshop and Illustrator.
Games are not a priority on this machine.

I'd appreciate any good suggestions.

Thanks!

questionz_99@yahoo.com wrote:

> My old video card didn't make the upgrade to Windows XP SP2, so
> I'm looking for a compatible card. The system is a PIII-500 with
> 576MB of RAM. I've got a PCI and AGP slot available for the
> card.

Please forget PCI, unless you were to already have AGP and wanted
two monitors.

That reminds me of my first PCI mainboard and video card. It was a
tremendous upgrade from the 486 VESA system I was using (my early
days), seemed like everything was about three times faster. Wow,
that was the best upgrade I ever had.

> I'm running Microsoft Office and a little Photoshop and
> Illustrator. Games are not a priority on this machine.

I think that almost any video card is going to function with
Windows XP SP2, or at least any ordinary modern video card.

I guess you should go with any card which meets your budget from a
store you feel like buying from.

What do you want to spend? Photoshop is somewhat demanding, isn't
it?

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

<questionz_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My old video card didn't make the upgrade to Windows XP SP2, so I'm
> looking for a compatible card.
>
> The system is a PIII-500 with 576MB of RAM. I've got a PCI and AGP slot
> available for the card.
>
> I'm running Microsoft Office and a little Photoshop and Illustrator.
> Games are not a priority on this machine.
>
> I'd appreciate any good suggestions.

This should be perfect for your needs. Plus, it has both analog and digital
outputs in case you want to get an LCD monitor someday and it accepts only
digital input only.

Rosewill RW92SE-128D Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814164002&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Video+Cards

questionz_99@yahoo.com wrote:
> My old video card didn't make the upgrade to Windows XP SP2, so I'm
> looking for a compatible card.
>
> The system is a PIII-500 with 576MB of RAM. I've got a PCI and AGP
> slot available for the card.
>
> I'm running Microsoft Office and a little Photoshop and Illustrator.
> Games are not a priority on this machine.
>
> I'd appreciate any good suggestions.
>
> Thanks!

anything from last generations nVida or ATI cards will work on the agp slot.
nVidia 5200+ or ATI 9200+ will do the trick. How fast do you want to go on
the old girl?

Well, Hackworth put me on the right track. I've been researching 64-bit
and 128-bit ATI 9250 and 9550 cards.

For about $51, it looks like I can get a 128-bit 256MB 9550 model.

As for speed, I'd like my Web browsing, Photoshop image loading and
Adobe Audition multitrack audio file editing to process smoothly. And
when I have 200 little tiny soldiers running around the screen in
Command & Conquer, I want the pages to scroll without lagging.

That's all. It's not much, really.

Thanks, everyone!

John: the answer is, Heck, no! The 128MB ATI cards are all 64-bit, and
from what I've read, 128-bit is far more robust.

Komusa has the 128MB 9250 for just $41; and the 128MB 9550 for $51. I'd
rather go with the 128-bit 9250 for $51.

I really gotta thank Hackworth from turning me away from the low-end
NVidia cards. I almost bought an MX400 on clearance at OfficeMax for
$49, just to get something SP2-compatible.

But I won't really know until I get the new card, will I? Anyone with a
card suggestion, please comment.

questionz_99@yahoo.com wrote:

> OK, here it is:
>
> GECUBE- ATI Radeon 9250 256MB DDR AGP 8X - Retail Box.
>
> $51, shipping included.
>
> http://www.komusa.com/geatira9225d.html

You are going with 256 MB of RAM because it will do something for
your Photoshop work?

Do not make the mistake of going for more RAM because you think it
means a faster video card. I did that once with a SavagePro (or
whatever the name was) 32 MB card. It was slower than my 8 MB card.

Otherwise, have fun.

> Well, Hackworth put me on the right track. I've been researching 64-bit
> and 128-bit ATI 9250 and 9550 cards.
>
> For about $51, it looks like I can get a 128-bit 256MB 9550 model.

My pleasure. I'd be curious to know how you like it and how it works out for
you.

I have nothing against Nvidia cards. In fact, I have a GeForce 6800
(vanilla) in my son's machine and it's terrific for his needs. For my own
machine and for what I do, however, I prefer ATI's stuff.

That review of my AGP card will have to wait. Turns out the AGP
interface on my IBM 300 PL 6862 is incompatible with this card (Turns
out to be something called NLX form factor). Looks like I'll have to
upgrade the computer to use it.

In the meantime, I'm going to have to run down a used PCI card that's
compatible with SP2.