Is it possible to have WinNT PDC and Windows Server 2003 D..

I'm planning to roll out a new Windows Server 2003 server
to replace our old Windows NT4 Server.

My question is this. I need both servers to operate on
the network initially. Is it possible to "demote" the old
WinNT server in anyway, to be just a member server? i.e
remove DNS/DHCP. The new server is to be the new Domain
Controller for the domain.

You can not demote a NT 4.0 PDC, you promote a NT 4.0 BDC to PDC which
demotes the original PDC to BDC.

There is no MS supported method to make a PDC/BDC a member server. There is
a program called Upromote that claims to do this but I have not used it.

You can install NT 4.0 on the NEW server as a BDC while connected to your
existing network. At the proper time the NT 4.0 SAM will be replicated to
the new server. Promote the new server to PDC, then upgrade to Win 2k3.

I would suggest upgrading the original PDC (now BDC) to Win 2k3 also.
See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326209&Product=winsvr2003

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE