Windows XP Pro system won't authenticate to domain control..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 17, 2004 5:00:06 PM

A Windows XP Pro client that has been connecting to the
Windows NT 4.0 SP6a domain server for over a year just
stopped out of the blue the other day. It will not
authenticate with the domain server anymore. The same
server still provides an address to the workstation with
DHCP and it can surf all over the web. I took the
workstation out of the domain and tried to rejoin the
Windows domain I get the following message (note this is
the only PC on the network with this problem):

The domain name AL-Law might be a NetBIOS domain name. If
this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly
registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain
name, then the following information can help you
troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the
service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a
domain controller for domain AL-Law:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.AL-Law

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include
delegation to its child zone:

AL-Law
.. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 5:38:43 PM

Hi Steve,

It sounds like the problem is isolated to this workstation. Check these
things first:

1. Make sure the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is started and set to
Automatic on the XP Client.

2. If Internet Connection Firewall or Windows Firewall is enabled under the
Advanced tab of the Windows XP machine's Local Area Connection, try
Disabling it and see if you can join the domain.

3. Try booting the XP Machine into Safe Mode with Networking and see if
everything works. If all is well then try locating the process causing the
problem. To do this:

Open msconfig.exe and select the Services tab, click the box "Hide all
Microsoft services" and click Disable All. Next, click the Startup tab and
click Disable All, click OK and reboot in Normal Mode.

If the problem is still gone after the reboot then open msconfig and Enable
everything in Startup. Reboot. If everything still works, Enable half of
the disabled services and reboot. Continue this until you locate the
process causing the issue.

If these things do not help then here are some other things you could check:

1. If the PDC has more than one NIC (not recommended) it could be the client
can resolve only one of the IP Addresses on the PDC.

2. Verify the XP Client can ping all NICs on the PDC and then verify the PDC
can ping the XP Client.

3. After the XP Client pings the PDC run "nbtstat -c" on the client and see
if a 1Bh and 1Ch record is listed in the cache. If these records are
present verify the IP address is the PDCs?

4. If you have WINS in your environment open WINS management and locate the
1Bh and 1Ch records and verify the correct DC name and IP Address is listed.
If you have more than one WINS Server, make sure all WINS servers only
register in their own WINS database for both Preferred and Alternate in the
IP Properties; then let WINS replication merge the WINS databases.

5. If you use lmhosts files on the XP clients verify the PDC name and its IP
Address is correct.

--
David Everett
Microsoft Corporation