NT 4.0 Server Manager shows Windows 2003 Server as a Compu..

I have recently joined the first Windows 2003 member server to our NT 4.0
domain without any issues. I noticed however that in Server Manager on the
NT4.0 domain the Windows 2003 server is listed under computers/workstations
instead of as a server, it's icon is also greyed out. Another issue is that
the server isn't displayed in Windows Explorer under the domain that it
belongs to, but if I search for it windows explorer finds it and it says it's
listed under it's domain container. Is this normal behavior for a Windows
2003 member server in an NT 4.0 domain?

Are Windows 2003 member servers normally treated as computers/workstations
in an NT 4 domain?
5 answers Last reply
More about server manager shows windows 2003 server compu

    Are you sure it doesn't Windows NT 5.1 Workstation or Server?
    In server manager click on view / show / servers; does the machine
    show up as a Windows NT 5.1 server?

    "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently joined the first Windows 2003 member server to our NT
    4.0
    > domain without any issues. I noticed however that in Server Manager on
    the
    > NT4.0 domain the Windows 2003 server is listed under
    computers/workstations
    > instead of as a server, it's icon is also greyed out. Another issue is
    that
    > the server isn't displayed in Windows Explorer under the domain that
    it
    > belongs to, but if I search for it windows explorer finds it and it
    says it's
    > listed under it's domain container. Is this normal behavior for a
    Windows
    > 2003 member server in an NT 4.0 domain?
    >
    > Are Windows 2003 member servers normally treated as
    computers/workstations
    > in an NT 4 domain?

    In Server Manager it doesn't show up under VIEW/SHOW/SERVERS, it only shows
    up under VIEW/SHOW/ALL or VIEW/SHOW/WORKSTATIONS however under the Type
    column it says Windows NT Workstation or Server. Is this normal? Why is it
    greyed out and why doesn't it show up in Explorer under the domain?

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > Are you sure it doesn't Windows NT 5.1 Workstation or Server?
    > In server manager click on view / show / servers; does the machine
    > show up as a Windows NT 5.1 server?
    >
    > "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have recently joined the first Windows 2003 member server to our NT
    > 4.0
    > > domain without any issues. I noticed however that in Server Manager on
    > the
    > > NT4.0 domain the Windows 2003 server is listed under
    > computers/workstations
    > > instead of as a server, it's icon is also greyed out. Another issue is
    > that
    > > the server isn't displayed in Windows Explorer under the domain that
    > it
    > > belongs to, but if I search for it windows explorer finds it and it
    > says it's
    > > listed under it's domain container. Is this normal behavior for a
    > Windows
    > > 2003 member server in an NT 4.0 domain?
    > >
    > > Are Windows 2003 member servers normally treated as
    > computers/workstations
    > > in an NT 4 domain?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Okay thanks. The problem browsing since server manager
    uses the browse list to enumerate the list you see. The computer
    will send a host name announcement packet to the SMB or segment
    master browser to make it's presence known on the network. It
    does this during the boot up process then 30 seconds later then 1
    minute later increasing to every 12 minutes. The SMB is responsible
    for gathering the domain wide list and passing back to the DMB
    domain master browser. The DMB will merge the domain wide
    list from all other DMBs and pass back to the SMB. The DMB
    in NT 4.0 is always the PDC and in W2k the PDC emulator role
    by default the first domain controller. Try stopping the computer
    browser service on the W2k3 machine. It's possible it is trying
    to become the SMB and actually winning because of it's OS
    criteria. The problem is common hen having a W2k3 member
    in an NT 4.0 domain.

    "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > In Server Manager it doesn't show up under VIEW/SHOW/SERVERS, it only
    shows
    > up under VIEW/SHOW/ALL or VIEW/SHOW/WORKSTATIONS however under the
    Type
    > column it says Windows NT Workstation or Server. Is this normal? Why
    is it
    > greyed out and why doesn't it show up in Explorer under the domain?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Thanks Michael for your suggestions. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that
    stopping the browser service has remedied the situation as i have had it
    stopped for almost 12 hours and the server still doesn't show up in explorer.
    I also haven't seen any entries in the event log showing that a browser
    selection has been enforced.
    Could there be another issue causing this? Is it normal for this machine to
    show up as a workstation or server and show offline in server manager?

    "Nancy" wrote:

    > I have recently joined the first Windows 2003 member server to our NT 4.0
    > domain without any issues. I noticed however that in Server Manager on the
    > NT4.0 domain the Windows 2003 server is listed under computers/workstations
    > instead of as a server, it's icon is also greyed out. Another issue is that
    > the server isn't displayed in Windows Explorer under the domain that it
    > belongs to, but if I search for it windows explorer finds it and it says it's
    > listed under it's domain container. Is this normal behavior for a Windows
    > 2003 member server in an NT 4.0 domain?
    >
    > Are Windows 2003 member servers normally treated as computers/workstations
    > in an NT 4 domain?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Did you run net config server and verify the hidden
    field says no? Yes will prevent the machine from
    showing up in the browse list.

    Is it normal to show up as workstation or server
    when it shows as inactive? Because it is inactive
    or offline the browse list doesn't know exactly
    whether it is a server or workstation. Did you
    verify the server service is running? Check the
    event viewer for errors then stop and start the
    server service. If it doesn't start what is the
    exact error?
    "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Thanks Michael for your suggestions. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that
    > stopping the browser service has remedied the situation as i have had it
    > stopped for almost 12 hours and the server still doesn't show up in
    explorer.
    > I also haven't seen any entries in the event log showing that a browser
    > selection has been enforced.
    > Could there be another issue causing this? Is it normal for this machine
    > show up as a workstation or server and show offline in server manager?

Windows Explorer Domain Windows Server 2003 Servers Windows