NT 4.0 Server Manager shows Windows 2003 Server as a Compu..

Nancy

I have recently joined the first Windows 2003 member server to our NT 4.0
domain without any issues. I noticed however that in Server Manager on the
NT4.0 domain the Windows 2003 server is listed under computers/workstations
instead of as a server, it's icon is also greyed out. Another issue is that
the server isn't displayed in Windows Explorer under the domain that it
belongs to, but if I search for it windows explorer finds it and it says it's
listed under it's domain container. Is this normal behavior for a Windows
2003 member server in an NT 4.0 domain?

Are Windows 2003 member servers normally treated as computers/workstations
in an NT 4 domain?

Are you sure it doesn't Windows NT 5.1 Workstation or Server?
In server manager click on view / show / servers; does the machine
show up as a Windows NT 5.1 server?

"Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have recently joined the first Windows 2003 member server to our NT
4.0
> domain without any issues. I noticed however that in Server Manager on
the
> NT4.0 domain the Windows 2003 server is listed under
computers/workstations
> instead of as a server, it's icon is also greyed out. Another issue is
that
> the server isn't displayed in Windows Explorer under the domain that
it
> belongs to, but if I search for it windows explorer finds it and it
says it's
> listed under it's domain container. Is this normal behavior for a
Windows
> 2003 member server in an NT 4.0 domain?
>
> Are Windows 2003 member servers normally treated as
computers/workstations
> in an NT 4 domain?

Nancy

In Server Manager it doesn't show up under VIEW/SHOW/SERVERS, it only shows
up under VIEW/SHOW/ALL or VIEW/SHOW/WORKSTATIONS however under the Type
column it says Windows NT Workstation or Server. Is this normal? Why is it
greyed out and why doesn't it show up in Explorer under the domain?

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Are you sure it doesn't Windows NT 5.1 Workstation or Server?
> In server manager click on view / show / servers; does the machine
> show up as a Windows NT 5.1 server?
>
> "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have recently joined the first Windows 2003 member server to our NT
> 4.0
> > domain without any issues. I noticed however that in Server Manager on
> the
> > NT4.0 domain the Windows 2003 server is listed under
> computers/workstations
> > instead of as a server, it's icon is also greyed out. Another issue is
> that
> > the server isn't displayed in Windows Explorer under the domain that
> it
> > belongs to, but if I search for it windows explorer finds it and it
> says it's
> > listed under it's domain container. Is this normal behavior for a
> Windows
> > 2003 member server in an NT 4.0 domain?
> >
> > Are Windows 2003 member servers normally treated as
> computers/workstations
> > in an NT 4 domain?

Okay thanks. The problem browsing since server manager
uses the browse list to enumerate the list you see. The computer
will send a host name announcement packet to the SMB or segment
master browser to make it's presence known on the network. It
does this during the boot up process then 30 seconds later then 1
minute later increasing to every 12 minutes. The SMB is responsible
for gathering the domain wide list and passing back to the DMB
domain master browser. The DMB will merge the domain wide
list from all other DMBs and pass back to the SMB. The DMB
in NT 4.0 is always the PDC and in W2k the PDC emulator role
by default the first domain controller. Try stopping the computer
browser service on the W2k3 machine. It's possible it is trying
to become the SMB and actually winning because of it's OS
criteria. The problem is common hen having a W2k3 member
in an NT 4.0 domain.

"Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> In Server Manager it doesn't show up under VIEW/SHOW/SERVERS, it only
shows
> up under VIEW/SHOW/ALL or VIEW/SHOW/WORKSTATIONS however under the
Type
> column it says Windows NT Workstation or Server. Is this normal? Why
is it
> greyed out and why doesn't it show up in Explorer under the domain?

Nancy

Thanks Michael for your suggestions. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that
stopping the browser service has remedied the situation as i have had it
stopped for almost 12 hours and the server still doesn't show up in explorer.
I also haven't seen any entries in the event log showing that a browser
selection has been enforced.
Could there be another issue causing this? Is it normal for this machine to
show up as a workstation or server and show offline in server manager?

"Nancy" wrote:

> I have recently joined the first Windows 2003 member server to our NT 4.0
> domain without any issues. I noticed however that in Server Manager on the
> NT4.0 domain the Windows 2003 server is listed under computers/workstations
> instead of as a server, it's icon is also greyed out. Another issue is that
> the server isn't displayed in Windows Explorer under the domain that it
> belongs to, but if I search for it windows explorer finds it and it says it's
> listed under it's domain container. Is this normal behavior for a Windows
> 2003 member server in an NT 4.0 domain?
>
> Are Windows 2003 member servers normally treated as computers/workstations
> in an NT 4 domain?

Did you run net config server and verify the hidden
field says no? Yes will prevent the machine from
showing up in the browse list.

Is it normal to show up as workstation or server
when it shows as inactive? Because it is inactive
or offline the browse list doesn't know exactly
whether it is a server or workstation. Did you
verify the server service is running? Check the
event viewer for errors then stop and start the
server service. If it doesn't start what is the
exact error?