Why does whole network crash when server goes down?

Tags:
  • Workstations
  • Microsoft
  • Servers
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 18, 2004 4:48:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Hello!

I have a Windows 2003 server domain controller and two Windows XP Pro
workstations. The server includes DHCP and DNS services.

Recently the server crashed due to hardware failure and all peer-to-peer
came to a stop! I had an RDP session going from one XP station to the other,
and several drive shares going. It all came to a screeching halt until the
server rebooted! Even tracert and ping would not work. ipconfig/all shows
everything is OK on both workstations.

I ran tracert after the server booted, and it shows the two workstations are
communicating directly.

arp -a confirms this. This is intolerable in an emergency. Any ideas what
could be wrong?

Thanks!
--
"The only good SPAMMER is a DEAD SPAMMER."

More about : network crash server

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 4:48:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Well if DNS and DHCP are running on the server and the clients cannot get
addresses then this could cause this scenario. The server going down could
also cause the Network browsing to not function. BUT it should not cause the
clients to not to be able to ping each other for instance. What were their
IP's before/during the server outtage? Also since the DNS server went down
they probably wouldn't be able to connect to the Internet anymore. it also
depends what you are pinging. If your pinging by the IP address that would
not be interupted by the server going down but if pinging by name that would
make sense as they cannot contact the DNS server to find the appropriate IP
of the machine. I would do some testing. Like turn the server off and see if
you can ping the other computer by its IP address, this should work. Name
mappings and DNS will fail which in a Win2k/2k3 domain is pretty devastating
to the network.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"rg" <rg@nospam.please> wrote in message
news:o IElnMUhEHA.4064@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello!
>
> I have a Windows 2003 server domain controller and two Windows XP Pro
> workstations. The server includes DHCP and DNS services.
>
> Recently the server crashed due to hardware failure and all peer-to-peer
> came to a stop! I had an RDP session going from one XP station to the
other,
> and several drive shares going. It all came to a screeching halt until the
> server rebooted! Even tracert and ping would not work. ipconfig/all shows
> everything is OK on both workstations.
>
> I ran tracert after the server booted, and it shows the two workstations
are
> communicating directly.
>
> arp -a confirms this. This is intolerable in an emergency. Any ideas what
> could be wrong?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> "The only good SPAMMER is a DEAD SPAMMER."

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 6:40:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

In news:o IElnMUhEHA.4064@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
rg <rg@nospam.please> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello!
>
> I have a Windows 2003 server domain controller and two
> Windows XP Pro workstations. The server includes DHCP and
> DNS services.
>
> Recently the server crashed due to hardware failure and
> all peer-to-peer came to a stop! I had an RDP session
> going from one XP station to the other, and several drive
> shares going. It all came to a screeching halt until the
> server rebooted! Even tracert and ping would not work.
> ipconfig/all shows everything is OK on both workstations.
>
> I ran tracert after the server booted, and it shows the
> two workstations are communicating directly.
>
> arp -a confirms this. This is intolerable in an
> emergency. Any ideas what could be wrong?

This is why one should not create a single DC domain.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

When the domain controller goes down, there will be a master browser
election; and this may well cause a temporary loss of network connectivity
and name resolution. If 'tracert and ping would not work' means you could
not ping by name, that would be an expected temporary condition. It can
take several minutes for the browse list to rebuild itself and broadcasts
may fail during this process. If the condition does not resolve itself
after several minutes, try putting the workstations in a different
workgroup.

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

!