Do Acer Monitors have a bad reputation?

Hi,

Do acer monitors have a bad reputation? I have just ordered this one here
at amazon uk (but can still cancel):

http://tinyurl.com/dmf7j

However someone on this forum

http://tinyurl.com/e4ym3

advised me that they are cheap rubbish and to avoid them.

I was just wondering if I should cancel, but this guy is the only person
I've found who's said anything negative about them. Any advice would be
much appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about acer monitors reputation

    Do they?

    Well if they do I must be lucky so far. In January we got a 19" LCD that
    I'm working with right now. It's very nice. In February I ordered a 17" LCD
    Acer for our operations manager at school. She's been thrilled with it. In
    March I picked up another 17" Acer for another system I put together for a
    teacher. He's been more than satisfied. And in April I got another 17" Acer
    that I use with new systems that I put together. Bad rep? None of them had
    any dead pixels either and I purchased them all from Newegg.com. I first
    noticed them for the good price and 3 year warranty in addition to their
    good specs. I've had my share of lousy products but I don't think I can rate
    Acer LCDs as one of them.

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net

    "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Do they?
    >
    > Well if they do I must be lucky so far. In January we got a 19" LCD that
    > I'm working with right now. It's very nice. In February I ordered a 17"
    > LCD Acer for our operations manager at school. She's been thrilled with
    > it. In March I picked up another 17" Acer for another system I put
    > together for a teacher. He's been more than satisfied. And in April I got
    > another 17" Acer that I use with new systems that I put together. Bad rep?
    > None of them had any dead pixels either and I purchased them all from
    > Newegg.com. I first noticed them for the good price and 3 year warranty in
    > addition to their good specs. I've had my share of lousy products but I
    > don't think I can rate Acer LCDs as one of them.

    Yes, and all 20 customer reviews of this acer model that I ordered gave it 5
    out of 5 and were all very enthusiastic. I just thought I'd better check
    though since this guy said they have a bad reputation. If the vast majority
    of people who have bought acer monitors are delighted with them, then that's
    good enough for me! :-)

    > "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Do they?
    > >
    > > Well if they do I must be lucky so far. In January we got a 19" LCD
    that
    > > I'm working with right now. It's very nice. In February I ordered a 17"
    > > LCD Acer for our operations manager at school. She's been thrilled with
    > > it. In March I picked up another 17" Acer for another system I put
    > > together for a teacher. He's been more than satisfied. And in April I
    got
    > > another 17" Acer that I use with new systems that I put together. Bad
    rep?
    > > None of them had any dead pixels either and I purchased them all from
    > > Newegg.com. I first noticed them for the good price and 3 year warranty
    in
    > > addition to their good specs. I've had my share of lousy products but I
    > > don't think I can rate Acer LCDs as one of them.
    > >

    > Yes, and all 20 customer reviews of this acer model that I ordered gave it
    5
    > out of 5 and were all very enthusiastic. I just thought I'd better check
    > though since this guy said they have a bad reputation. If the vast
    majority
    > of people who have bought acer monitors are delighted with them, then
    that's
    > good enough for me! :-)

    I had a 15" Acer CRT that died in <2years and a CD drive that only lasted
    just over a year. I hadn't planned on buying another Acer product but they
    changed their name to BenQ. I think that says a lot about their reputation.
    YMMV

    There are two Acer companies ... one is fairly high level electronics
    research
    .... the other sells pure and total garbage. It is entirely possible
    that at some
    date they have decided to improve their products ... or that they are
    selling
    someone elses products. Personally, I have "attempted" to repair their
    garbage,
    and what I generally discover is that the product is so poorly designed
    that it
    is simply incompatible with other hardware ... that is their cdroms in
    spades.
    It might work. It might not. I would not touch it if they gave it to
    me.

    johns

    "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> > Do they?
    >> >
    >> > Well if they do I must be lucky so far. In January we got a 19" LCD
    > that
    >> > I'm working with right now. It's very nice. In February I ordered a 17"
    >> > LCD Acer for our operations manager at school. She's been thrilled with
    >> > it. In March I picked up another 17" Acer for another system I put
    >> > together for a teacher. He's been more than satisfied. And in April I
    > got
    >> > another 17" Acer that I use with new systems that I put together. Bad
    > rep?
    >> > None of them had any dead pixels either and I purchased them all from
    >> > Newegg.com. I first noticed them for the good price and 3 year warranty
    > in
    >> > addition to their good specs. I've had my share of lousy products but I
    >> > don't think I can rate Acer LCDs as one of them.
    >> >

    >> Yes, and all 20 customer reviews of this acer model that I ordered gave
    >> it
    > 5
    >> out of 5 and were all very enthusiastic. I just thought I'd better check
    >> though since this guy said they have a bad reputation. If the vast
    > majority
    >> of people who have bought acer monitors are delighted with them, then
    > that's
    >> good enough for me! :-)
    >>
    > I had a 15" Acer CRT that died in <2years and a CD drive that only lasted
    > just over a year. I hadn't planned on buying another Acer product but they
    > changed their name to BenQ. I think that says a lot about their
    > reputation.
    > YMMV

    I bought two Acer AL1912 flat screen monitors last January and February.
    They have been working impeccably. I bought these because of the excellent
    performance of my three year old Acer CRT 17" monitor.

    Acer products are still being sold under the Acer name.

    Ed Cregger

    "johns" <johns123@moscow.com> wrote in message
    > There are two Acer companies ... one is fairly high level electronics
    > research
    > ... the other sells pure and total garbage. It is entirely possible
    > that at some
    > date they have decided to improve their products ... or that they are
    > selling
    > someone elses products. Personally, I have "attempted" to repair their
    > garbage,
    > and what I generally discover is that the product is so poorly designed
    > that it
    > is simply incompatible with other hardware ... that is their cdroms in
    > spades.
    > It might work. It might not. I would not touch it if they gave it to
    > me.
    >
    > johns

    Years ago, there were two Japanese CB radio manufacturers. One was named
    President and the other Robyn.

    Endless battles would develop on the air about which was the best and why. I
    was an electronics technician in those days and my primary interest was
    communications transceivers of all types.

    Pulling the case/cover from a President and a Robyn simultaneously and
    putting them side by side, it became apparent that both were made by the
    same manufacturer, in the same factory, by the same people, with the same
    designers. You could swap case components and they would fit the other
    perfectly.

    Looking at the circuit board, you could see without a doubt that they were,
    indeed, the same circuit board. There were provisions for loading a
    different set of components here and there, but, they were, alas, identical.

    The next revelation in manufacturing came about when VCR's came upon the
    scene. Debates and arguments over which brand was best were never ending. It
    then became public knowledge that there were only three manufacturers of
    VCR's in the entire world at that time. Again, negating the arguments of
    superiority. Why? Because all used the same basic components.

    Is China doing the same thing? I don't know. But I do know that I don't get
    excited about brand names these days. Once you see the light, there is no
    going back. Regardless of the brand, I am interested only in initial
    reputation and warranty support. I do not anticipate that any of the new
    electronic devices will last as long as my Robyn 520D CB set, which is still
    working well after 27 years. The new stuff is throw-away. If it is out of
    warranty, it goes to the recycle center. It isn't worth repairing anyway,
    because chances are it won't even work with the latest operating system
    being issued by Microsoft. Let's worry about something important. This isn't
    it.

    Ed Cregger

Homebuilt Acer Monitors Systems