USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Speed

I just got an external hard drive case and put in a hard drive. I was
copying a 60GB backup file to it. It took about an hour to transfer. I
thought it would go much faster. What is the expected speed that I should
expect?
9 answers Last reply
More about external hard drive speed

    Are you sure that you've got it hooked up at USB 2.0 speeds? Cables,
    connector on the computer (as well as the external case) should all be 2.0.
    As well as ensuring your system has the USB 2.0 drivers correctly. Seems to
    me some OS's didn't support 2.0 natively, and you had to add on the right
    drivers.

    According to my math, here's the figures based on the theoretical maximums:

    USB 1.1
    12Mb/s = 1.5MB/s
    6,000MB/1.5MB/s = 4000 seconds
    4000 seconds = 66.67 minutes

    USB 2.0
    480Mb/s = 60MB/s
    6,000MB/60MB/s = 100 seconds
    100 seconds = 1.67 minutes

    Seems you're much closer to the 1.1 speeds than the 2.0 speeds. Here's a
    review of an external USB 2.0 HD, which averaged 26MB/s transfer:
    http://www.tech-mods.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&op=newreview&id=61
    For 60GB, that would have taken about 4 minutes to copy.

    Clint

    "AFGH" <heiber@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I just got an external hard drive case and put in a hard drive. I was
    >copying a 60GB backup file to it. It took about an hour to transfer. I
    >thought it would go much faster. What is the expected speed that I should
    >expect?

    That is why I am confused. My MB is only about 1 year old with Windows XP
    SP2 and USB 2.0 drivers.

    The properties on the drive say "USB 2.0 Storage Device". The enclosure is
    a Vantec NexStar NST-350U2.

    I am using the cable that came with the drive. Drive is brand new and 7200
    rpm.

    > That is why I am confused. My MB is only about 1 year old with Windows XP
    > SP2 and USB 2.0 drivers.
    >
    > The properties on the drive say "USB 2.0 Storage Device". The enclosure
    is
    > a Vantec NexStar NST-350U2.
    >
    > I am using the cable that came with the drive. Drive is brand new and
    7200
    > rpm.
    >

    > "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > Are you sure that you've got it hooked up at USB 2.0 speeds? Cables,
    > > connector on the computer (as well as the external case) should all be
    > > 2.0. As well as ensuring your system has the USB 2.0 drivers correctly.
    > > Seems to me some OS's didn't support 2.0 natively, and you had to add on
    > > the right drivers.
    > >
    > > According to my math, here's the figures based on the theoretical
    > > maximums:
    > >
    > > USB 1.1
    > > 12Mb/s = 1.5MB/s
    > > 6,000MB/1.5MB/s = 4000 seconds
    > > 4000 seconds = 66.67 minutes
    > >
    > > USB 2.0
    > > 480Mb/s = 60MB/s
    > > 6,000MB/60MB/s = 100 seconds
    > > 100 seconds = 1.67 minutes
    > >
    > > Seems you're much closer to the 1.1 speeds than the 2.0 speeds. Here's
    > > review of an external USB 2.0 HD, which averaged 26MB/s transfer:

    http://www.tech-mods.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&op=newreview&id=61
    > > For 60GB, that would have taken about 4 minutes to copy.
    > >
    > > Clint
    > >
    > > "AFGH" <heiber@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >>I just got an external hard drive case and put in a hard drive. I was
    > >>copying a 60GB backup file to it. It took about an hour to transfer. I
    > >>thought it would go much faster. What is the expected speed that I
    should
    > >>expect?

    Your math is flawed. Obviously 60GB in 4min would be15GB/min

    60,000,000,000 GB
    26,000,000 / GB/s
    --------------------------
    2,307.69230769230769 = s

    60 / m
    --------------------------
    38.461538461538462 =minutes

    My USB2(HiSpeed) drive kit says up to 35MB/s. So he's in the ball park to my
    kits specs. Though not the USB2(HiSpeed) spec itself. 480/60 is correct.
    Website for info: usb.org
    YMMV

    You're right. Move the decimal place on all my calcs... 6,000 MB = 6GB
    (approximately), not 60.

    Clint

    "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > "AFGH" <heiber@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> That is why I am confused. My MB is only about 1 year old with Windows
    >> XP
    >> SP2 and USB 2.0 drivers.
    >>
    >> The properties on the drive say "USB 2.0 Storage Device". The enclosure
    > is
    >> a Vantec NexStar NST-350U2.
    >>
    >> I am using the cable that came with the drive. Drive is brand new and
    > 7200
    >> rpm.
    >>

    >> "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> > Are you sure that you've got it hooked up at USB 2.0 speeds? Cables,
    >> > connector on the computer (as well as the external case) should all be
    >> > 2.0. As well as ensuring your system has the USB 2.0 drivers correctly.
    >> > Seems to me some OS's didn't support 2.0 natively, and you had to add
    >> > on
    >> > the right drivers.
    >> >
    >> > According to my math, here's the figures based on the theoretical
    >> > maximums:
    >> >
    >> > USB 1.1
    >> > 12Mb/s = 1.5MB/s
    >> > 6,000MB/1.5MB/s = 4000 seconds
    >> > 4000 seconds = 66.67 minutes
    >> >
    >> > USB 2.0
    >> > 480Mb/s = 60MB/s
    >> > 6,000MB/60MB/s = 100 seconds
    >> > 100 seconds = 1.67 minutes
    >> >
    >> > Seems you're much closer to the 1.1 speeds than the 2.0 speeds. Here's
    >> > review of an external USB 2.0 HD, which averaged 26MB/s transfer:
    >> >
    > http://www.tech-mods.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&op=newreview&id=61
    >> > For 60GB, that would have taken about 4 minutes to copy.
    >> >
    >> > Clint
    >> >
    >> > "AFGH" <heiber@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > should
    >> >>

    > Your math is flawed. Obviously 60GB in 4min would be15GB/min
    >
    > 60,000,000,000 GB
    > 26,000,000 / GB/s
    > --------------------------
    > 2,307.69230769230769 = s
    >
    > 60 / m
    > --------------------------
    > 38.461538461538462 =minutes
    >
    > My USB2(HiSpeed) drive kit says up to 35MB/s. So he's in the ball park to
    > my
    > kits specs. Though not the USB2(HiSpeed) spec itself. 480/60 is correct.
    > Website for info: usb.org
    > YMMV

    Following the link you provided with the review, I downloaded the HD Speed
    utility and ran it. I am getting about 13 - 14 MB/s. So I know it is
    working at 2.0 speeds, but it seems pretty slow for what I should be
    getting. I guess I need to follow up with Vantec.

    > You're right. Move the decimal place on all my calcs... 6,000 MB = 6GB
    > (approximately), not 60.
    >
    > Clint
    >
    > "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "AFGH" <heiber@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> That is why I am confused. My MB is only about 1 year old with Windows
    >>> XP
    >>> SP2 and USB 2.0 drivers.
    >>>
    >>> The properties on the drive say "USB 2.0 Storage Device". The enclosure
    >> is
    >>> a Vantec NexStar NST-350U2.
    >>>
    >>> I am using the cable that came with the drive. Drive is brand new and
    >> 7200
    >>> rpm.
    >>>

    >>> "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message

    >> http://www.tech-mods.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&op=newreview&id=61

    >> should
    >>> >>

    >> Your math is flawed. Obviously 60GB in 4min would be15GB/min
    >>
    >> 60,000,000,000 GB
    >> 26,000,000 / GB/s
    >> --------------------------
    >> 2,307.69230769230769 = s
    >>
    >> 60 / m
    >> --------------------------
    >> 38.461538461538462 =minutes
    >>
    >> My USB2(HiSpeed) drive kit says up to 35MB/s. So he's in the ball park to
    >> my
    >> kits specs. Though not the USB2(HiSpeed) spec itself. 480/60 is correct.
    >> Website for info: usb.org
    >> YMMV

    Hadn't noticed the D/Ls before going to see if I remembered the specs
    correctly. I'll have to check mine when I get on that computer again.
    Biggest file I've moved so far is 13GB. IIRC it took 9-10min so I'm a little
    slow to but the kit specs do say >up to 35MB/s<.
    If your setup is like mine you should check to see if the USB port the drive
    is connected to is sharing an IRQ that's already busy. Putting it on a USB
    port that's on another IRQ might give better performance. I had to move a
    USB1.1 device for that reason.

    > Following the link you provided with the review, I downloaded the HD Speed
    > utility and ran it. I am getting about 13 - 14 MB/s. So I know it is
    > working at 2.0 speeds, but it seems pretty slow for what I should be
    > getting. I guess I need to follow up with Vantec.
    >

    > "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > You're right. Move the decimal place on all my calcs... 6,000 MB = 6GB
    > > (approximately), not 60.
    > >
    > > Clint
    > >
    > > "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> "AFGH" <heiber@nospam.com> wrote in message
    Windows

    > >> is

    > >> 7200

    Cables,

    http://www.tech-mods.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&op=newreview&id=61

    > >> should
    > >>> >>

    > >> Your math is flawed. Obviously 60GB in 4min would be15GB/min
    > >>
    > >> 60,000,000,000 GB
    > >> 26,000,000 / GB/s
    > >> --------------------------
    > >> 2,307.69230769230769 = s
    > >>
    > >> 60 / m
    > >> --------------------------
    > >> 38.461538461538462 =minutes
    > >>
    > >> My USB2(HiSpeed) drive kit says up to 35MB/s. So he's in the ball park
    > >> my
    > >> kits specs. Though not the USB2(HiSpeed) spec itself. 480/60 is
    correct.
    > >> Website for info: usb.org
    > >> YMMV

    In article <lFXze.1843$ER6.799@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, AFGH
    says...
    > Following the link you provided with the review, I downloaded the HD Speed
    > utility and ran it. I am getting about 13 - 14 MB/s. So I know it is
    > working at 2.0 speeds, but it seems pretty slow for what I should be
    > getting.

    Not really. You have to remember that the maximum pseed for USB 2.0
    assumes nothing else at all is using the PCI bus.

    --
    Conor

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <lFXze.1843$ER6.799@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, AFGH
    > says...
    >> Following the link you provided with the review, I downloaded the HD
    >> Speed
    >> utility and ran it. I am getting about 13 - 14 MB/s. So I know it is
    >> working at 2.0 speeds, but it seems pretty slow for what I should be
    >> getting.
    >
    > Not really. You have to remember that the maximum pseed for USB 2.0
    > assumes nothing else at all is using the PCI bus.
    >

    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > -You wanted an argument? Oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse. You want room
    > K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git. (Monty Python)

    Mbps = mega bits per second

    MBps = mega bytes per second

    Big difference.

    Ed Cregger

    Hi,

    USB 2.0 is very slow - almost 70% slower than FIREWIRE (IEEE 1394) connected
    external HDD.

    This is bcs USB uses the CPU to process the signal - IEEE1394 is stand alone
    technology; this is why it's used in/on DV cameras.

    Your USB drive will never work faster than it's current speed. If you want
    fast external HDD, you have to get a case that supports FIREWIRE/IEEE1394.

    L8R

    "AFGH" <heiber@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I just got an external hard drive case and put in a hard drive. I was
    >copying a 60GB backup file to it. It took about an hour to transfer. I
    >thought it would go much faster. What is the expected speed that I should
    >expect?

Homebuilt Hardware External Hard Drive Hard Drives USB Systems