Problem migrating to a windows 2003 domain?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 20, 2004 2:40:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.migration,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Here in my work, we where using Windows 2000 as a file/print server, but
using it as a workgroup computers.
All the clients, most of them windows XP and 2000wks are members of that
workgroup, and have them login as local accounts, which username/password is
the same as in the server so they arent prompted to login when accessign a
shared resource.

Now, we are migrating to 2003 and a Domain, i already have the server done,
which is a Domain Controller and has all the accounts already made.

Now, the problem im having, is, that, when i change in XP to be a part of
the domain and when the users logon, the profile is blank, he has start all
the settings from scratch, reinstall all programs, and i have manually to
get their application data and my documents folders from the old documents &
settings\user folder.

Is there a way to stop with this? so i can tell windows to use the same
profile that the user was using?
Is there any workaround for this?
Im sure that MS and Gates has passed for this, there cant be the need to
rebuild all the profiles when migrating from a workgroup to a domain, or
there is?

Anyone can supply with comments, suggestions, experiences, help, whatever
about this?

Thanks a lot guys... or, tellme which is the correct newsgroup to post this
:)
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 10:37:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.migration,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

It's a common problem. The way I've seen it done is by running a script
that migrates the local profiles to domain-base profiles. It's not
perfectly clean ...

-ds

"Christian Reizlein" <creizlein@easymail.net.uy> wrote in message
> Here in my work, we where using Windows 2000 as a file/print server, but
> using it as a workgroup computers.
> All the clients, most of them windows XP and 2000wks are members of that
> workgroup, and have them login as local accounts, which username/password
> is
> the same as in the server so they arent prompted to login when accessign a
> shared resource.
>
> Now, we are migrating to 2003 and a Domain, i already have the server
> done,
> which is a Domain Controller and has all the accounts already made.
>
> Now, the problem im having, is, that, when i change in XP to be a part of
> the domain and when the users logon, the profile is blank, he has start
> all
> the settings from scratch, reinstall all programs, and i have manually to
> get their application data and my documents folders from the old documents
> &
> settings\user folder.
>
> Is there a way to stop with this? so i can tell windows to use the same
> profile that the user was using?
> Is there any workaround for this?
> Im sure that MS and Gates has passed for this, there cant be the need to
> rebuild all the profiles when migrating from a workgroup to a domain, or
> there is?
>
> Anyone can supply with comments, suggestions, experiences, help, whatever
> about this?
>
> Thanks a lot guys... or, tellme which is the correct newsgroup to post
> this
> :)

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 3:16:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.migration (More info?)

You can manually copy the old profile over the new profile once the new
profile has been created. Not a pretty solution but if we're talking about a
network that was running in a workgroup it might be manageable.

Right click on My Computer and click on Properties
Go to the Advanced tab then go to User Profiles->Settings
Click on the old profile and click Copy To and choose the new profile
location.

Note that if the profile is big this may take a while.

Phil

!