problem logon W98 pc's to NT4 domain...

RJ

Hello,

This morning all W98 pc's couldn't connect to my NT4 Domain. All XP an w2k
pc have no problem..
When I press ok when I logon with W98 I can connect to the fileserver(BDC)
but not to the Exchange
server(PDC)with dhcp and wins installed. It worked for 5years without
problems..

thoes anyone know what could be wrong here

Thanks for any reply...

Rudi

Most likely a browsing/wins issue. What error do they get when logging in?
Can they access the PDC by name or IP? What errors do they get in Outlook?
Possibly rebooting the PDC could reset any lost Netbios registrations.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"RJ" <jetrd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> This morning all W98 pc's couldn't connect to my NT4 Domain. All XP an w2k
> pc have no problem..
> When I press ok when I logon with W98 I can connect to the fileserver(BDC)
> but not to the Exchange
> server(PDC)with dhcp and wins installed. It worked for 5years without
> problems..
>
> thoes anyone know what could be wrong here
>
> Thanks for any reply...
>
> Rudi

RJ

Dear Scott,

Thanks for the reply... Just finished reinstalling the wins services...
Still got the problem of not finding the domain server but when they press
ok they can
open there outlook and the share on the fileserver ...So the biggest problem
is solved for now... maybe you know some good docs about migrating nt4 wins
to W2003 wins before I upgrade the whole thing to AD.. I have to study
DNS first before I upgrade to AD...

just one more question.. in the wins manager I added the internal ip of the
server .. but there is an other Ip address 0.223.0.184 .. I don't know what
it is..
Can I delete it??

Again,
Many thanks for your time..

Rudi

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> schreef in
bericht news:epaftwshEHA.4064@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Most likely a browsing/wins issue. What error do they get when logging in?
> Can they access the PDC by name or IP? What errors do they get in Outlook?
> Possibly rebooting the PDC could reset any lost Netbios registrations.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "RJ" <jetrd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > This morning all W98 pc's couldn't connect to my NT4 Domain. All XP an
w2k
> > pc have no problem..
> > When I press ok when I logon with W98 I can connect to the
fileserver(BDC)
> > but not to the Exchange
> > server(PDC)with dhcp and wins installed. It worked for 5years without
> > problems..
> >
> > thoes anyone know what could be wrong here
> >
> > Thanks for any reply...
> >
> > Rudi

The remote access WAN wrapper is bound
before the network adapter:

Unusual Addresses Like 1.10.0.184 Showing in WINS Database
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;156204