PMDG planes

Hi..

I have thought about buying a PMDG plane, but is it possible to learn how to
operate these planes, or will I have to spend the next 1000 hours just to
learn part of it.??

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about pmdg planes

    1005 to be exact :-)
    Like you I have been holding back.
    Bill

    "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi..
    >
    > I have thought about buying a PMDG plane, but is it possible to learn how
    > operate these planes, or will I have to spend the next 1000 hours just to
    > learn part of it.??
    >
    > Thanks

    The PMDG can be as hard or to a certain extent as easy as you want to make
    it. I would suggest that you be prepared to invest at least 10 - 12 hours
    familiarising yourself with the systems and reading the manuals, although
    maybe that's just because I'm a slow learner. A number of quick start
    checklists are available and AVSIM hosts their forum which has many expert
    members.

    So I would base your decision in this way:

    a) Do I want to learn how a Boeing aircraft actually works and flies
    b) Am I prepared to invest some time learning it.
    c) Do I want to jump in and be flying / proficient in ten mins

    If you ticked c) you will probably be disappointed. If you ticked a) and b)
    you will never look back and will hate every MS provided aircraft in the
    future.

    Once you have invested some time in this product you can be up and running
    in no time. Personally I generate proper FMC flight plans in FSBuild which
    are exported to FS9, FSNAV, and PMDG format simultaneously. I use the FS9
    file for Activesky, FSNav as a moving map/ Charts /ILS frequencies etc
    (Cheating I know). The FSBuild bit takes 2 mins. I then load the NG at an
    airport, and even if the engines aren't running (complete cold and dark
    cockpit) it can be ready to taxi in ten mins. If you start with the thing
    running at the active it takes a min to put in the plan and off you go.

    If you have the cash you must buy the FMC guide and ideally cockpit
    companion:

    http://www.fmcguide.com/books.html#fug

    The model is so good it deserves these books.

    HTH

    Geoff

    "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi..
    >
    > I have thought about buying a PMDG plane, but is it possible to learn how
    > operate these planes, or will I have to spend the next 1000 hours just to
    > learn part of it.??
    >
    > Thanks

    I have been flying MS planes and some freeware planes for over three years.
    Is the PMDG planes and specifically the B737NG that hard to learn to fly, or
    will it still require a considerable reading?

    "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi..
    >
    > I have thought about buying a PMDG plane, but is it possible to learn how
    > operate these planes, or will I have to spend the next 1000 hours just to
    > learn part of it.??
    >
    > Thanks

    "Robert LeBlanc"
    > I have been flying MS planes and some freeware planes for over three
    years.
    > Is the PMDG planes and specifically the B737NG that hard to learn to fly,
    or
    > will it still require a considerable reading?

    Downloading and reading the tutorial should be enough to scare you :-)

    http://www.precisionmanuals.com/html/downloads.htm

    Mastering the challenge of a very realistic aircraft can be a very
    satisfying experience.

    Dallas

    It's not so much hard, as requiring you to invest some time reading and
    learning. It's is quite a lot different from the standard aircraft in FS9.

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:48:36 -0000, "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >So I would base your decision in this way:
    >
    >a) Do I want to learn how a Boeing aircraft actually works and flies
    >b) Am I prepared to invest some time learning it.
    >c) Do I want to jump in and be flying / proficient in ten mins

    Hi Geoff

    This applies to many programs. I still use the old manuals for Excel
    and Word, the programs I had on an ancient Win3.1 PC. Although I have
    more modern versions of these two on my current machine, they came
    already intalled. There we no manuals save for the so called help
    files.

    As I always read in bed and in the bath, I gleaned much of my
    knowledge (much of which is now forgotten) about these programs just
    by casually flipping through the pages.

    James

    James,

    I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but what applies to many programs. If it's
    that you have to invest time to learn them then yes.

    Regards

    Geoff

    "James Hodson" <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:48:36 -0000, "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >So I would base your decision in this way:
    > >
    > >a) Do I want to learn how a Boeing aircraft actually works and flies
    > >b) Am I prepared to invest some time learning it.
    > >c) Do I want to jump in and be flying / proficient in ten mins
    >
    > Hi Geoff
    >
    > This applies to many programs. I still use the old manuals for Excel
    > and Word, the programs I had on an ancient Win3.1 PC. Although I have
    > more modern versions of these two on my current machine, they came
    > already intalled. There we no manuals save for the so called help
    > files.
    >
    > As I always read in bed and in the bath, I gleaned much of my
    > knowledge (much of which is now forgotten) about these programs just
    > by casually flipping through the pages.
    >
    > James

    I have purchased the 737-600/700, 737-800/900, and PMDG Express B1900D, and
    highly recommend them for more realistic airline flying. It does not take
    long to learn enough to start the engines, take off, and fly a basic IFR
    flight plan with ATC. The B1900D is in my opinion the easiest to learn.
    All are available in a number of free liveries. Starting from a cold and
    dark cockpit is most realistic, but takes additional effort to learn. The
    flight management computer (FMC) is very realistic, but takes more study to
    master. However, you don't need to understand the FMC to fly these planes.
    I suggest trying the 737NG-600/700 first. It has an excellent virtual
    cockpit. Some liveries have winglets, some have virtual stairs, some have
    both. Good luck.

    Jim Kaye
    "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi..
    >
    > I have thought about buying a PMDG plane, but is it possible to learn how
    > operate these planes, or will I have to spend the next 1000 hours just to
    > learn part of it.??
    >
    > Thanks

Games Microsoft Video Games