Limited or no connectivity

Hi all!

I searched for this error, as it appeared to my last night.
In contrary like most users here who get it after installing SP2.
My pc has worked fine with wireless on sp2 fine for ages. But since I
tried installing a bittorrent client last night (which alerted my
virusscanner (avg)). So I removed it again. After that removal I got
the limited yellow mark in my wireles-tray icon.
My pc does not get a valid IP but a 169.254.x.x 255.255.0.0 number

So I'm afraid that invalid torrent client messed up my internet
settings, but I can't see where it is faulty.

any suggestions?

best regards, Ron.
3 answers Last reply
More about limited connectivity

    Hi Ron, just fixed mine in time to read yours. IPV6- has that Teredo
    Tunnelling and well here's my working IPConfig:
    C:\>ipconfig
    Windows IP Configuration
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.135.1
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::204:76ff:feba:7998%6
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    PPP adapter DSL Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
    Tunnel adapter 6to4 Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:447a:8e1e::447a:8e1e
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
    2002:836b:213c::836b:213c
    Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:68.122.142.30%2
    Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.135.1%2
    This was auto-configured by my DSL ISP though I did get good help at
    ipx6.org.Hope this helps. ~Steve
    "Ron" wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > I searched for this error, as it appeared to my last night.
    > In contrary like most users here who get it after installing SP2.
    > My pc has worked fine with wireless on sp2 fine for ages. But since I
    > tried installing a bittorrent client last night (which alerted my
    > virusscanner (avg)). So I removed it again. After that removal I got
    > the limited yellow mark in my wireles-tray icon.
    > My pc does not get a valid IP but a 169.254.x.x 255.255.0.0 number
    >
    > So I'm afraid that invalid torrent client messed up my internet
    > settings, but I can't see where it is faulty.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > best regards, Ron.

    Ron,
    go to start - run - type in CMD and hit enter
    type in ipconfig /release
    type in ipconfig /renew
    The first step makes windows get rid of the invalid IP address
    The second step tells it to ask for a new IP
    If there is another problem that is causing your wireless card to not be
    able to communicate with the router, it won't be able to ask for a new IP and
    you will end up with the 169.254.xxx.xxx ip again. If that happens, try
    cycling the power on the router, turn it off, count to 30, turn it back on,
    wait for it to do its self check. Then go to your laptop and run the
    ipconfig commands again. Barring an actual hardware fault this will usually
    work.

    --
    Nill

    "Ron" wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > I searched for this error, as it appeared to my last night.
    > In contrary like most users here who get it after installing SP2.
    > My pc has worked fine with wireless on sp2 fine for ages. But since I
    > tried installing a bittorrent client last night (which alerted my
    > virusscanner (avg)). So I removed it again. After that removal I got
    > the limited yellow mark in my wireles-tray icon.
    > My pc does not get a valid IP but a 169.254.x.x 255.255.0.0 number
    >
    > So I'm afraid that invalid torrent client messed up my internet
    > settings, but I can't see where it is faulty.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > best regards, Ron.

    I have a laptop which has Wireless capabilities. I am trying to establish
    some sort of a wireless connection but it isn't happening at my friends
    house. My friend just bought a new laptop and when she first used it she was
    instantly connected where she can access the internet anywhere in the house.
    I don't understand why this is happening and I really don't know what I'm
    doing and so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wireless Connectivity Wireless Networking