Drives Quit

Both my CD Rom drives seem to have quit working.

Well actually one quit then the other later.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Duncan

In article <11d61irg60ju33@corp.supernews.com>, Duncan Oxley says...
> Both my CD Rom drives seem to have quit working.
>
> Well actually one quit then the other later.
>
> Any ideas?

Dust. TRied cleaning them ever?

--
Conor

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <11d61irg60ju33@corp.supernews.com>, Duncan Oxley says...
>> Both my CD Rom drives seem to have quit working.
>>
>> Well actually one quit then the other later.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
> Dust. TRied cleaning them ever?

If you are running a proprietary version of Win XP, that provided by the
computer's manufacturer, you may have to repair or reload XP if all else
fails. I had the same problem with eMachines and Dell's version of Win XP
Home.

Naturally, you will check the cables, settings, etc., first, before
reloading.

I finally solved the recurring problem by buying MS versions of the programs
and ditching the manufacturer's junk laden versions. No problems since then.

Ed Cregger

Duncan Oxley wrote:
> Both my CD Rom drives seem to have quit working.
>
> Well actually one quit then the other later.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Duncan

gremlins

"Duncan Oxley" <no@thanks> wrote in message
> Both my CD Rom drives seem to have quit working.
>
> Well actually one quit then the other later.
>
> Any ideas?

How about a little info. Do the drives show in device manager? If so, are
there any yellow or red marks beside them?
Are the drives detected by the bios - i.e., do they show up in the bios set
up screen [usually in the 'Basic Setup' screen].
More detail on what don't they do; will they do anything - e.g., will the
drive caddies open/close?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:53:04 -0700, "Duncan Oxley" <no@thanks> wrote:

>Both my CD Rom drives seem to have quit working.
>
>Well actually one quit then the other later.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Duncan

Duncan,
Unplug the first rom that quit on you if they are on the same Ide
cable.Remember the jumper setting.Trial and error to find the bad
one.They may both be bad.How old?Always pair up a HD with a cdrom or
dvd,don't put 2 rom's on an ide channel.

C.