need help resetting domain controller pwd on NT4 machine

alex

Hi,

I have an NT box that was set up as a print controller a couple of years ago
(not by me). Everything was fine until a couple of days ago when 2 so called
software engineers/tossers? decided to update the firmware on the printer
and as a result needed to update some settings on the NT machine. The
incompetent gits never realised that they would need to login to the mahine
again and Nobody knows what the original password was for the computer. The
engineers just walked away saying that there was nothing they could do and I
am left with a system I cannot use.

I have be able to reset the administrator passwords locally but i stll
cannot access the machine because there seems to be some domain controller
login issue. I really do not want to have to reformat the disk but I need to
know if there is a way to get access.

The main problem I have with this system is I do not know to much about it
as it runs a print controller that acts as a shell so you cannot access the
file system.

Any help much appreciated
alex

Is the server a member of a domain or a domain controller?
Do you get a drop down list for domains on the logon screen?
If so does the computer name show up in the list? If you do
get a drop down list for domains the machine is most likely
a member server or DC. If the computer name shows up in
the list then it's most likely a member server.