XP-SP2 upgrade no longer finds domain controller

bobt

The domain controller is NT4.0 (sp6 w/current patches).
Prior to SP2 upgrade, the logon to domain controller worked fine (and still
does for
all other machines).
After SP2 upgrade, the initial logon fails - says cannot find domain
controller. I turned off firewall completely and still no difference.
If I try to change computer name/domain after local logon, it fails and says
cannot find user name or password wrong (tried multiple times).
However, I can connect network drives fine from DC with the same user name
and password.

Any ideas (besides the obvious, upgrading from NT for the DC).

Thanks,
BobT

Netlogon over TCP/IP is enabled?
After unsuccessfully finding a domain
controller open a dos prompt and run
nbtstat -c; what do you see?

"BobT" <BobT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> The domain controller is NT4.0 (sp6 w/current patches).
> Prior to SP2 upgrade, the logon to domain controller worked fine (and
still
> does for
> all other machines).
> After SP2 upgrade, the initial logon fails - says cannot find domain
> controller. I turned off firewall completely and still no difference.
> If I try to change computer name/domain after local logon, it fails
and says
> cannot find user name or password wrong (tried multiple times).
> However, I can connect network drives fine from DC with the same user
name
> and password.
>
> Any ideas (besides the obvious, upgrading from NT for the DC).

Even though you turned off the firewall did you also stop/disable the
Windows Firewall Service? I had a weird issue with a SP2 box and the
firewall would not turn off completely from the Security Center until after
the I also disabled the service and rebooted.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:eCZCzsEjEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Netlogon over TCP/IP is enabled?
> After unsuccessfully finding a domain
> controller open a dos prompt and run
> nbtstat -c; what do you see?
>
> "BobT" <BobT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > The domain controller is NT4.0 (sp6 w/current patches).
> > Prior to SP2 upgrade, the logon to domain controller worked fine (and
> still
> > does for
> > all other machines).
> > After SP2 upgrade, the initial logon fails - says cannot find domain
> > controller. I turned off firewall completely and still no difference.
> > If I try to change computer name/domain after local logon, it fails
> and says
> > cannot find user name or password wrong (tried multiple times).
> > However, I can connect network drives fine from DC with the same user
> name
> > and password.
> >
> > Any ideas (besides the obvious, upgrading from NT for the DC).

Verify Netbios over tcp/ip is enabled.
After a failed logon attempt open a dos