a silent air cooled computer project

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"stormrider" <oceanwind42 yahoo.com> wrote:

> if anyone is curious I documented all the steps and components
> that I used to build a silent air cooled pc for games:
> Silent Gaming Review

Why don't you at least include a summary here instead of a simple
reference to your commercial web site.

"Jamie" <jamieivany@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>how come nobody mentions phase cooling?

1) Money.

2) Complexity.

3) Lack of benefit.

Essentially you can have just as much fun and have just as
effective a cooling system, for a lot less money and effort, by
using liquid cooling.

--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Ok, regarding water cooling, do the pumps get noisy with time?

They *start* that way!

>There was all this whining about Zalman pumps lately. Anyone with long term
>experience?

I don't know, I use an Eheim 1260, which is significantly larger
that most systems need.

Of various commercial systems that I've delt with, pumps only
started making *different* noise when something was going wrong.
Bad bearings, no liquid, high pressure, etc cause changes in the
noise.

>Basically, my main concern is long term performance. The fans last a very
>long time without much degradation (if the dust is removed)

Pumps and fans both vary in quality. I don't really know much
about pumps, and selected mine based on ratings required and the
reputation of the manufacturer. There weren't that many to
choose from.

With fans there are many many choices. Things like ball
vs. sleeve bearings are important, but another not well known
difference is how they are mounted. If the shaft is horizontal,
they will last longer. But if the air flow has to be vertical,
it makes a *huge* difference which way the fan is oriented. If
the blades are below the motor, the bearings will wear out
faster on most fans (*significantly* faster). Hence it is
important, if that is the mounting required, to get a fan that
blows air in the right direction when *properly* mounted.
Otherwise it will likely fail in less than two years rather than
working for the next decade or so.

>Now how about the pipes (probably ok - is thermal liquid corrosive?) and the
>pump?

Plastic tubing comes in different types, and some will
definitely last longer than others. The liquid isn't corrosive.

>Then the noise of the pump.
>I had a water fountain and the pump was clearly audible. Don't know if that
>has to do with the noise being carried through the whole water system

Probably.

I made no effort to mount everything inside a computer case, and
was far more interested in the mechanism than in the resulting
computer as such. That meant I could try various things to see
what the effect was, and certainly there are differences in how
one can mount a pump to prevent noise. Submersed vs
non-submersed, shock mounted, enclosed in a padded box,
etc. etc.

--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>My highest priority is noise actually, so pump noise a major concern.
>But I agree - it's very cool and I might do it just to do it, although
>playing with airflow can be fun too. I had so much fun I fried one
>motherboard trying to mount a fan (accidently moved the cpu, I guess) - was
>too lazy to turn the system off

You've got a great setup for having *fun* too. Being able to
actually watch the results, and adjust fan speed etc while
getting actual feedback on results is great.

I'm more into software than hardware these days, so the
Crystalfontz unit suits my needs; but for anyone who doesn't
want to do the software a manual controller like you are using
is the equivalent as far as fun goes.

Can you post a URL to a product info sheet or something similar
for the units you've got? Might be interesting...

--

"stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> if anyone is curious I documented all the steps and components that I used
> to build a silent air cooled pc for games:
> http://silentgamingreview.com/components.htm
>
> Silent Gaming Review
> http://silentgamingreview.com

Hmmm...nice. I am going to go for a "silent" computer on my next build.
I'm still tossing around the idea of using a water cooling system, but it
limits you somewhat, and takes a little more maintenance... Anyone else
here using either?

"Beall" <k.beallNOSPAM@mchsi.com> wrote in message

> "stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> if anyone is curious I documented all the steps and components that I
>> used to build a silent air cooled pc for games:
>> http://silentgamingreview.com/components.htm
>>
>> Silent Gaming Review
>> http://silentgamingreview.com
>>

> Hmmm...nice. I am going to go for a "silent" computer on my next build.
> I'm still tossing around the idea of using a water cooling system, but it
> limits you somewhat, and takes a little more maintenance... Anyone else
> here using either?

From what I've researched water cooling is the way to go for silent
operation and/or overclocking. If you get a nice sized case you can fit all
of your components inside or attached to the case. The setup can be a pain
for the inexperienced and the initial cost is of course much higher than an
air cooled solution. Once you get it up and running there shouldn't be that
much maintenance though (as long as you're not constantly lugging it to LAN
parties).
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>What do you think about the pump stopping, though.
>First it will fry the components.

If there are components that will fry with no flow, then a flow
meter of some kind that will positively indicate that flow is
below a certain amount, and a mechanism to shutdown the system,
are essential for unattended operation.

>Second, the water will heat up, expand and blow apart the weekest link so
>you'll get a couple of sprinklers inside of a case in no time
>I read somewhere that the expansion can be fixed by adding an overflow water
>tank. Anyone knows anything about it?

Don't worry too much about water expanding... :)

But *do* be concerned about the potential for leaks, because the
chances are fairly high.

Which is to say, I would *not* water cool a critical system
unless there is a standby system ready to replace it in the case
of failure. Hence, if it would take a week to get your system
back in operation if this particular box was totally destroyed,
don't water cool this particular box! If you have two computers
and can live without one for a few days or weeks, go for it.

>I am getting ready to build a dual core rig and still agonizing about the
>cooling
>Might go with the latest passive radiator from Zalman just for kicks
>
>http://www.silentgamingreview.com
>
>> From what I've researched water cooling is the way to go for silent
>> operation and/or overclocking. If you get a nice sized case you can fit
>> all of your components inside or attached to the case. The setup can be a
>> pain for the inexperienced and the initial cost is of course much higher
>> than an air cooled solution. Once you get it up and running there
>> shouldn't be that much maintenance though (as long as you're not
>> constantly lugging it to LAN parties).

--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Yes, I would have to agree. As tempting as watercooling sounds it seems
>still immature to trust your only rig to it.
>On the other hand the heat produced by components keeps going up.
>I have an overclocked 6800GT cooled passively with an external radiator but
>I want to try a 7800 in the new computer and have my doubts
>add to that 500W PSU, the dual core CPU which puts out more heat than my
>current 3400+.
>add two 10000rpm HD's for the raid and you'll be able to fry eggs inside =)

Besides, water cooling (if the risks can be handled) is just
plain *fun*.

--

kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:18:01 -0800, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd
>L. Davidson) wrote:
>
>>"stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>What do you think about the pump stopping, though.
>>>First it will fry the components.
>>
>>If there are components that will fry with no flow, then a flow
>>meter of some kind that will positively indicate that flow is
>>below a certain amount, and a mechanism to shutdown the system,
>>are essential for unattended operation.
>
>No, again the best solution is to actively monitor the
>actual part(s) in jeopardy.

All of them?

>This not being a
>enterprise-class, nor enterprise budget system (as far as we
>know) there will typically not be an enterprise class budget
>for precision flow metering and feedback. It is additional
>complexity that would be implemented while unproven at great
>cost and no certain benefit over already proven solutions
>for a PC.

Monitoring coolant flow in one location is an "enterprise-class"
item, while monitoring every part that is heat sensitive is a
low budget option?

>In other words, the same essential mechanism, actual
>component temp monitoring, is monitoring the only parameter
>that really matters. Water does not get damaged if IT stops
>flowing, we only care about the effect and can measure that
>effect quite a bit less expensively and just as reliably,
>and at greater precision unless there is an extreme budget
>and tons of testing and refinements. That's simply not cost
>or time effective even if it did work as well.

You don't seem to have just a whole lot of experience with this
kind of stuff.

--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>CF633 looks awesome! I am gonna get me on these!

I have to warn you though, the price is almost exactly *twice*
what they say it is!

Yep. That's cause as soon as you get one and put it into
service actually doing something... you can't play with it any
more and the only solution is to buy another one just to play
with.

--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> if anyone is curious I documented all the steps and components that I
> used to build a silent air cooled pc for games:
> http://silentgamingreview.com/components.htm

The problem with the huge and heavy Thermaltake Sonic Tower CL-P0071,
and others like it, is that they far exceed the recommended weight limit
for the CPU socket lugs. This heatsink is more than twice that maximum.
You may end up with broken lugs after awhile (unless you orient the
motherboard horizontally in a desktop case rather than vertically in a
[mini-]tower case). You *definitely* need to remove the overweight
heatsink before transporting the computer.

Stormrider

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> Why don't you at least include a summary here instead of a simple
> reference to your commercial web site.
Come on, dude! Where do you see me selling anything. just got stoked on
helping people do what I did and got a domain for the hell of it
no ads no promotions nothing to buy or sell
http://www.silentgamingreview.com

>> From: "stormrider" <oceanwind42 yahoo.com>
>> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>> Subject: a silent air cooled computer project
>> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 03:27:58 GMT

Stormrider

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

What do you think about the pump stopping, though.
First it will fry the components.
Second, the water will heat up, expand and blow apart the weekest link so
you'll get a couple of sprinklers inside of a case in no time
I read somewhere that the expansion can be fixed by adding an overflow water
tank. Anyone knows anything about it?
I am getting ready to build a dual core rig and still agonizing about the
cooling
Might go with the latest passive radiator from Zalman just for kicks

http://www.silentgamingreview.com

> From what I've researched water cooling is the way to go for silent
> operation and/or overclocking. If you get a nice sized case you can fit
> all of your components inside or attached to the case. The setup can be a
> pain for the inexperienced and the initial cost is of course much higher
> than an air cooled solution. Once you get it up and running there
> shouldn't be that much maintenance though (as long as you're not
> constantly lugging it to LAN parties).
> --
>

> "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
> - Alceryes

Stormrider

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Yes, I would have to agree. As tempting as watercooling sounds it seems
still immature to trust your only rig to it.
On the other hand the heat produced by components keeps going up.
I have an overclocked 6800GT cooled passively with an external radiator but
I want to try a 7800 in the new computer and have my doubts
add to that 500W PSU, the dual core CPU which puts out more heat than my
current 3400+.
add two 10000rpm HD's for the raid and you'll be able to fry eggs inside =)

"Floyd L. Davidson" <floyd@apaflo.com> wrote in message
> "stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>What do you think about the pump stopping, though.
>>First it will fry the components.
>
> If there are components that will fry with no flow, then a flow
> meter of some kind that will positively indicate that flow is
> below a certain amount, and a mechanism to shutdown the system,
> are essential for unattended operation.
>
>>Second, the water will heat up, expand and blow apart the weekest link so
>>you'll get a couple of sprinklers inside of a case in no time
>>I read somewhere that the expansion can be fixed by adding an overflow
>>water
>>tank. Anyone knows anything about it?
>
> Don't worry too much about water expanding... :)
>
> But *do* be concerned about the potential for leaks, because the
> chances are fairly high.
>
> Which is to say, I would *not* water cool a critical system
> unless there is a standby system ready to replace it in the case
> of failure. Hence, if it would take a week to get your system
> back in operation if this particular box was totally destroyed,
> don't water cool this particular box! If you have two computers
> and can live without one for a few days or weeks, go for it.
>
>>I am getting ready to build a dual core rig and still agonizing about the
>>cooling
>>Might go with the latest passive radiator from Zalman just for kicks
>>
>>http://www.silentgamingreview.com
>>
>>> From what I've researched water cooling is the way to go for silent
>>> operation and/or overclocking. If you get a nice sized case you can fit
>>> all of your components inside or attached to the case. The setup can be
>>> pain for the inexperienced and the initial cost is of course much higher
>>> than an air cooled solution. Once you get it up and running there
>>> shouldn't be that much maintenance though (as long as you're not
>>> constantly lugging it to LAN parties).
>
> --
> Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
> Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

price

$450.00 USD to start with. lol

L. Davidson) wrote:

>"stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>What do you think about the pump stopping, though.
>>First it will fry the components.
>
>If there are components that will fry with no flow, then a flow
>meter of some kind that will positively indicate that flow is
>below a certain amount, and a mechanism to shutdown the system,
>are essential for unattended operation.

No, again the best solution is to actively monitor the
actual part(s) in jeopardy. This not being a

> "stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Ok, regarding water cooling, do the pumps get noisy with time?
>
> They *start* that way!

Stormrider

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

http://silentgamingreview.com/components.htm
This is a listing by component - there are full model names etc. No product
sheets but you could google it
I would do the software, but I could not find anything that can turn the
fans completely off.

> "stormrider" <oceanwind42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>My highest priority is noise actually, so pump noise a major concern.
>>But I agree - it's very cool and I might do it just to do it, although
>>playing with airflow can be fun too. I had so much fun I fried one
>>motherboard trying to mount a fan (accidently moved the cpu, I guess) -
>>was
>>too lazy to turn the system off
>
> You've got a great setup for having *fun* too. Being able to
> actually watch the results, and adjust fan speed etc while
> getting actual feedback on results is great.
>
> I'm more into software than hardware these days, so the
> Crystalfontz unit suits my needs; but for anyone who doesn't
> want to do the software a manual controller like you are using
> is the equivalent as far as fun goes.
>
> Can you post a URL to a product info sheet or something similar
> for the units you've got? Might be interesting...
>
> --
> Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
> Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com

Stormrider

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I thought about that but I think the recommended weight limit is way too
concervative. There is a metal plate behind the socket that is distributing
the stress.
I lug my computer around without mercy and tower is mounted horizontally
with additional weight of two aluminum fans and a heat sync (the heat synch
is very light on it's own) Check this out:
http://silentgamingreview.com/images/coolmaster%20fan2.jpg (computer lying
on its side)
http://silentgamingreview.com/images/coolmaster%20fan1.jpg
So far no problems. I think it's a non-issue in this case. If you really
want to be safe, just put the computer horizontally making the tower
vertical

stormrider wrote:
> if anyone is curious I documented all the steps and components that I used
> to build a silent air cooled pc for games:
> http://silentgamingreview.com/components.htm
>
> Silent Gaming Review
> http://silentgamingreview.com

Im rebuilding my box now and looking into the cooling systems. I was
looking at that heatsink you got, hows it working out? What temps you
getting from the cpu?
Also, I see you have a few fat fans and a load of hardware in there,
that cant be good for the thermodynamics surely ?

--
Nullcode
"Suffering is a result of desire"

Stormrider

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

MD Athlon 64 3400+/1Gb Mem/ NVIDIA 6800GT 256Mb Idle - 1000Mhz Game
Mode - 2200Mhs
Sonic Tower without additional fans 49C 71+C (test aborted)
Sonic Tower with one additional fan (between the sonic towers) 38C 50C
Sonic Tower with two additional fans (recommended) 35C 46C

The fans are fat but they move a lot of air quietly .
I would be interested to know how my setup compares to Typhoon cooler from
Thermaltake.
Mine is more flexible though. Keep in mind that I can actually turn all the
fans off except the two case fans when I am not gaming.
In reality I keep one fan closer to the front of the case on (25% power)
probably 7v or so and I can play Half-Life 2 no problem.

Right now the place is at 80f the cpu is at 40c with one fan at a quarter
power

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:20:46 -0800, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd
L. Davidson) wrote:

>kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:18:01 -0800, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd
>>L. Davidson) wrote:

>>>If there are components that will fry with no flow, then a flow
>>>meter of some kind that will positively indicate that flow is
>>>below a certain amount, and a mechanism to shutdown the system,
>>>are essential for unattended operation.
>>
>>No, again the best solution is to actively monitor the
>>actual part(s) in jeopardy.
>
>All of them?

How many parts do you expect to be water-cooled? It's
usually not but a handful if more than 2. Plus, once one
has a single one actively monitored, it is not such an issue
using same monitoring technology for another.

>>This not being a
>>enterprise-class, nor enterprise budget system (as far as we
>>know) there will typically not be an enterprise class budget
>>for precision flow metering and feedback. It is additional
>>complexity that would be implemented while unproven at great
>>cost and no certain benefit over already proven solutions
>>for a PC.
>
>Monitoring coolant flow in one location is an "enterprise-class"
>item, while monitoring every part that is heat sensitive is a
>low budget option?

Yes. You are proposing a "from scrach" solution that will
require more expensive parts, engineering to construct and
testing to validate. Show us a ready-to-use affordable,
small, suitable, etc, solution. Even a good theory on how
to do something must be weighted against the actual
implementation burden.

>>In other words, the same essential mechanism, actual
>>component temp monitoring, is monitoring the only parameter
>>that really matters. Water does not get damaged if IT stops
>>flowing, we only care about the effect and can measure that
>>effect quite a bit less expensively and just as reliably,
>>and at greater precision unless there is an extreme budget
>>and tons of testing and refinements. That's simply not cost
>>or time effective even if it did work as well.
>
>You don't seem to have just a whole lot of experience with this
>kind of stuff.

That's funny.
SHOW US this grand concept you have- on water-cooled PC
class systems in actual commercial PC use. Show us sytems
that only use component thermal feedback control that failed
because of lack of your (implied necessary) water flow
sensor idea.

In short, provide any evidence that what you claim is
necessary, is, OR that it could even be implemented in a
timely or cost-effective manner. Plenty of water-cooled
systems out there are running using reasonable protection
that doesn't include your theoretically necessary control,
which I still contend is inferior to thermal feedback from
the cooled parts.

You still have not provided any reason/theory, let alone
evidence, that the thermal state of the cooling liquid is a
better control for the thermal state of the cooled
component, than consideration of the thermal state of that
component itself. On the contrary, we really DON"T CARE
what temp the water is nor how fast it's flowing so long as
the components stay cool. On the contrary, since the
system needs a mimal level of airflow either way, a system
with utmost noise reduction would turn off the water pump
completely if flow rate wasn't easily adjustable, IF the
thermals allowed it.

I've not suggested that option for one of the several
reasons your theory isn't practical- that requires
engineering of the solution and testing before being
considered reliable. Which year is it considered reliable?
It's being considered for use NOW, not after beta testing
and refinements at additional cost.

Different systems have different requirements. Some
distinctly different (non-PC, even non-computer) system's
use of water does not make that system-specific solution
applicable to water-cooling-at large.