Workgroup Printer Problem

ty

I have a desktop and a laptop in my home (infrastructure) network. The
desktop is connected to the wireless (Microsoft) router and the laptop is
wireless (Linksys adapter). Both systems run XP Pro and I can get to the net
from both. I can see and get file access to the laptop from the desktop but
the laptop cannot see the desktop. I want to be able to print to the printer
that is attached to the desktop. I have file and printer sharing enabled on
both and the printer has a share name.
I appreciate your help.

ty

I should also add that the laptop can see itself. Thanks

"Ty" wrote:

> I have a desktop and a laptop in my home (infrastructure) network. The
> desktop is connected to the wireless (Microsoft) router and the laptop is
> wireless (Linksys adapter). Both systems run XP Pro and I can get to the net
> from both. I can see and get file access to the laptop from the desktop but
> the laptop cannot see the desktop. I want to be able to print to the printer
> that is attached to the desktop. I have file and printer sharing enabled on
> both and the printer has a share name.
> I appreciate your help.

On the laptop, open a command prompt:

ping DesktopName ENTER

If you get an IP address, but the request times out; the Desktop firewall is
blocking file and printer sharing and/or ICMP echo.

If you get an echo response, then:

On the laptop use the Add Printer wizard. Select Network Printer, but do
not search for a printer; specify a printer name. The name of the printer
is: \\DesktopName\PrinterShareName.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a desktop and a laptop in my home (infrastructure) network. The
> desktop is connected to the wireless (Microsoft) router and the laptop is
> wireless (Linksys adapter). Both systems run XP Pro and I can get to the
net
> from both. I can see and get file access to the laptop from the desktop
but
> the laptop cannot see the desktop. I want to be able to print to the
printer
> that is attached to the desktop. I have file and printer sharing enabled
on
> both and the printer has a share name.
> I appreciate your help.

ty

Doug,
I tried this along with the entire (ezlan) network setup again and I still
cannot get access to the desktop. When I try to show the workgroup I get the
following error: "mshome is not accessible. you might not have permissions
to use this network resource, contact your administrator.... The list of
servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

I can still see the laptop from the desktop and get get access to its file
but not vice versa. The laptop can see itself.

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> On the laptop, open a command prompt:
>
> ping DesktopName ENTER
>
> If you get an IP address, but the request times out; the Desktop firewall is
> blocking file and printer sharing and/or ICMP echo.
>
> If you get an echo response, then:
>
> On the laptop use the Add Printer wizard. Select Network Printer, but do
> not search for a printer; specify a printer name. The name of the printer
> is: \\DesktopName\PrinterShareName.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>

> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a desktop and a laptop in my home (infrastructure) network. The
> > desktop is connected to the wireless (Microsoft) router and the laptop is
> > wireless (Linksys adapter). Both systems run XP Pro and I can get to the
> net
> > from both. I can see and get file access to the laptop from the desktop
> but
> > the laptop cannot see the desktop. I want to be able to print to the
> printer
> > that is attached to the desktop. I have file and printer sharing enabled
> on
> > both and the printer has a share name.
> > I appreciate your help.

OK, it's time to start eliminating possibilities:

1. On the Desktop - if you are running SP2, make sure the firewall has an
exception for file and printer sharing. If the machine is SP1 or earlier,
disable the firewall. Uninstall any third party firewalls or security
software.

2. On the desktop create a new user account with exactly the same user name
and password you use to log onto the laptop. It is not necessary to log
onto the desktop with this account - just create it and reboot.

3. Determine the IP address of the desktop - Start/Run cmd ENTER. ipconfig
ENTER.

4. On the laptop click Start/Run \\IPofDesktop ENTER - what happens?

> Doug,
> I tried this along with the entire (ezlan) network setup again and I still
> cannot get access to the desktop. When I try to show the workgroup I get
the
> following error: "mshome is not accessible. you might not have
permissions
> to use this network resource, contact your administrator.... The list of
> servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
>
> I can still see the laptop from the desktop and get get access to its file
> but not vice versa. The laptop can see itself.
>
> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > On the laptop, open a command prompt:
> >
> > ping DesktopName ENTER
> >
> > If you get an IP address, but the request times out; the Desktop
firewall is
> > blocking file and printer sharing and/or ICMP echo.
> >
> > If you get an echo response, then:
> >
> > On the laptop use the Add Printer wizard. Select Network Printer, but
do
> > not search for a printer; specify a printer name. The name of the
printer
> > is: \\DesktopName\PrinterShareName.
> >
> > Doug Sherman
> > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> >

> > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a desktop and a laptop in my home (infrastructure) network.
The
> > > desktop is connected to the wireless (Microsoft) router and the laptop
is
> > > wireless (Linksys adapter). Both systems run XP Pro and I can get to
the
> > net
> > > from both. I can see and get file access to the laptop from the
desktop
> > but
> > > the laptop cannot see the desktop. I want to be able to print to the
> > printer
> > > that is attached to the desktop. I have file and printer sharing
enabled
> > on
> > > both and the printer has a share name.
> > > I appreciate your help.

ty

FYI,
During my network troubleshooting, I was checking my NIC configuration on my
desktop to make sure that file and print sharing was enabled and realized
that there is nothing installed, no clients, services, or protocols. When I
try to install I got an error message that the file could not be found. I
ran the update driver but this still didn't allow installation. This is
strange because I get access to the internet. Is this possible? Could this
be the reason my laptop cannot access the desktop? How I fix this? Can I
delete and reinstall it?

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> OK, it's time to start eliminating possibilities:
>
> 1. On the Desktop - if you are running SP2, make sure the firewall has an
> exception for file and printer sharing. If the machine is SP1 or earlier,
> disable the firewall. Uninstall any third party firewalls or security
> software.
>
> 2. On the desktop create a new user account with exactly the same user name
> and password you use to log onto the laptop. It is not necessary to log
> onto the desktop with this account - just create it and reboot.
>
> 3. Determine the IP address of the desktop - Start/Run cmd ENTER. ipconfig
> ENTER.
>
> 4. On the laptop click Start/Run \\IPofDesktop ENTER - what happens?
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Doug,
> > I tried this along with the entire (ezlan) network setup again and I still
> > cannot get access to the desktop. When I try to show the workgroup I get
> the
> > following error: "mshome is not accessible. you might not have
> permissions
> > to use this network resource, contact your administrator.... The list of
> > servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
> >
> > I can still see the laptop from the desktop and get get access to its file
> > but not vice versa. The laptop can see itself.
> >
> > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > On the laptop, open a command prompt:
> > >
> > > ping DesktopName ENTER
> > >
> > > If you get an IP address, but the request times out; the Desktop
> firewall is
> > > blocking file and printer sharing and/or ICMP echo.
> > >
> > > If you get an echo response, then:
> > >
> > > On the laptop use the Add Printer wizard. Select Network Printer, but
> do
> > > not search for a printer; specify a printer name. The name of the
> printer
> > > is: \\DesktopName\PrinterShareName.
> > >
> > > Doug Sherman
> > > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> > >

> > > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The
> is
> the
> > > net
> desktop
> > > but
> > > printer
> enabled
> > > on

ty

Doug,
The machines can ping one another, teh user names and passwords are the same
on each system. Config/all shows that IP routing and WINS proxy are not
enabled.
I need help getting the client, file & print share, and tcp/ip installed.
Network wizard failed to install them. Thanks for your help