Win98 PC can't find domainserver ...

RJ

Hey all..

Still have a problem with w98 PC's .. they can't find a domainserver to
logon...
I'm using wins and have reinstalled wins .. my w2k an xp workstations have
no problem..
My PDC is the exchangeserver so outlook does not find a mailserver .. but it
can find the username
when I configure outlook ... even when I put in the servername or the IP
address(changes autom to server name)..

Problem started when I moved the pdc to new hardware(VMware) and I had to
reïnstall the networkadapters..
1 nic is for the internal network and 1 nic for the Internetconnection ...
There was also an old ISDN adapter bound
in the old configuration, but I deleted this one....

Anyone an idea where to look for a sollution...

Many many thanks,

Rudi

Hello Sir,
Could post a screen shot of your winipcfg screen on a windows 98 machine
and an ipconfig screen from XP or W2k Pro?

***
Richard Lyda
Microsoft Corp
Server Setup Team

Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me.
This allows others to add to and benefit from these threads
and also helps to ensure a more timely response.
This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either
expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the
implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a
particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting
are mine and do not necessarily express or reflect the views
and/or opinions of Microsoft.

Immediately after a failed logon attempt on the Win 9x
machines open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c and
verify at least the following names are in the cache:
computernames 00, 03, 20 and domain names 1b and
1c. They should be pointing towards the PDC of the
domain. These names must be resolved in order to
find a DC for logon authentication.

"RJ" <jetrd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:
> Hey all..
>
> Still have a problem with w98 PC's .. they can't find a domainserver
> logon...
> I'm using wins and have reinstalled wins .. my w2k an xp workstations
have
> no problem..
> My PDC is the exchangeserver so outlook does not find a mailserver ..
but it
> can find the username
> when I configure outlook ... even when I put in the servername or the
IP
> address(changes autom to server name)..
>
> Problem started when I moved the pdc to new hardware(VMware) and I had
> reïnstall the networkadapters..
> 1 nic is for the internal network and 1 nic for the Internetconnection
> There was also an old ISDN adapter bound
> in the old configuration, but I deleted this one....
>
> Anyone an idea where to look for a sollution...
>

> Many many thanks,
>
> Rudi

RJ

Some w98 workstations can logon but can't find the mailserver(=PDC) .. Some
w98 pc's that work don't have any names in cache when I do nbtstat -c.
All w98 hosts file have the ip address and servername... ...Workstation who
can logon but can't find the mailserver have the name of a fileserver in
cache...

Its really strange... can it be that the wins database needs more time to
update..

Thanks for the help....

Rudi

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> schreef in
bericht news:uz3g%23dCkEHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Immediately after a failed logon attempt on the Win 9x
> machines open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c and
> verify at least the following names are in the cache:
> computernames 00, 03, 20 and domain names 1b and
> 1c. They should be pointing towards the PDC of the
> domain. These names must be resolved in order to
> find a DC for logon authentication.
>

> "RJ" <jetrd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:
> > Hey all..
> >
> > Still have a problem with w98 PC's .. they can't find a domainserver
> > logon...
> > I'm using wins and have reinstalled wins .. my w2k an xp workstations
> have
> > no problem..
> > My PDC is the exchangeserver so outlook does not find a mailserver ..
> but it
> > can find the username
> > when I configure outlook ... even when I put in the servername or the
> IP
> > address(changes autom to server name)..
> >
> > Problem started when I moved the pdc to new hardware(VMware) and I had
> > reïnstall the networkadapters..
> > 1 nic is for the internal network and 1 nic for the Internetconnection
> > There was also an old ISDN adapter bound
> > in the old configuration, but I deleted this one....
> >
> > Anyone an idea where to look for a sollution...
> >

> > Many many thanks,
> >
> > Rudi

Hello,
I noticed you 98 machines are on a different subnet 192.168.128.0 and your
W2K and WINS servers are on 192.168.129.0.
You need to get the 98 machines on the same subnet as the other systems
(192.168.129.0).
***
Richard Lyda
Server Setup Team

Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me.
This allows others to add to and benefit from these threads
and also helps to ensure a more timely response.
This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either
expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the
implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a
particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting
are mine and do not necessarily express or reflect the views
and/or opinions of Microsoft.

RJ

This is because some W98 machines are on a different location and are
connected by a router..
Router Location A is 192.168.129.254 and router B is 192.168.128.254 .. all
servers are on subnet 129 with 129.254 as gateway
All workstations on sub 128 have 128.254 as gateway ..I don't think this is
the problem because W98 on the 129 sub also have this problem..

Thanks..

"richard lyda" <a-rlyda@microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Hello,
> I noticed you 98 machines are on a different subnet 192.168.128.0 and your
> W2K and WINS servers are on 192.168.129.0.
> You need to get the 98 machines on the same subnet as the other systems
> (192.168.129.0).
> ***
> Richard Lyda
> Server Setup Team
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me.
> This allows others to add to and benefit from these threads
> and also helps to ensure a more timely response.
> This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either
> expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the
> implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a
> particular purpose.
> The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting
> are mine and do not necessarily express or reflect the views
> and/or opinions of Microsoft.

Hi RJ,

It isn't a problem at all to have them on different subnets
separated by a router as long as you have a name server
on your network because broadcasts do not normally
traverse routers. You'll need a WINS server. You could
also use lmhosts files which generally isn't recommended
because they are static entries and could cause unforeseen
problems e.g., change tcp/ip addresses.