Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Q: Suitable PC3200 memory for Dell Dimension?

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2005 11:18:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Does anyone know who makes the Dell Dimension 8300 motherboard?
I want to upgrade the RAM (PC3200) but all the main manufacturers list
specific type for the 8300 that costs a bunch more.
Can I not use 2x 512Mb Elixir to work under HT technology or is there an
issue with Dell compatibility or matched pairs etc
I really don't want to pay £75 for each 512Mb strip!
Thanks
David
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2005 2:05:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:6rJBe.3245$BN5.1887@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...
> Does anyone know who makes the Dell Dimension 8300 motherboard?
> I want to upgrade the RAM (PC3200) but all the main manufacturers list
> specific type for the 8300 that costs a bunch more.
> Can I not use 2x 512Mb Elixir to work under HT technology or is there an
> issue with Dell compatibility or matched pairs etc
> I really don't want to pay £75 for each 512Mb strip!
> Thanks
> David
>

go to crucial.com & they'll tell you need - £31:99 ex vat per 512Mb strip...
& they can be trusted .... (unlike Dull...)

rgds

Rab
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2005 3:59:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Rab C Nesbitt wrote:
> "DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:6rJBe.3245$BN5.1887@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...
>> Does anyone know who makes the Dell Dimension 8300 motherboard?
>> I want to upgrade the RAM (PC3200) but all the main manufacturers
>> list specific type for the 8300 that costs a bunch more.
>> Can I not use 2x 512Mb Elixir to work under HT technology or is
>> there an issue with Dell compatibility or matched pairs etc
>> I really don't want to pay £75 for each 512Mb strip!
>> Thanks
>> David
>>
>
> go to crucial.com & they'll tell you need - £31:99 ex vat per 512Mb
> strip... & they can be trusted .... (unlike Dull...)
>
> rgds
>
> Rab


Dell will ass rape you for any kind of upgrade. Crucial will work just fine
and it is affordable.
--

sbb78247

Speak the truth and leave shortly there after.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2005 12:34:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Dell, HP, and IBM use proprietary memory sticks, usually with nine RAM chips
as opposed to eight. Most often, they are sync'd with the MOBO. So, you
take your chances with non-DELL RAM.

If your system is mission critical; you might want topony up the dough.

good luck.

I use ULTRA; but not in a DELL; works very well and is much cheaper than
CRUCIAL.


"DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:6rJBe.3245$BN5.1887@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...
> Does anyone know who makes the Dell Dimension 8300 motherboard?
> I want to upgrade the RAM (PC3200) but all the main manufacturers list
> specific type for the 8300 that costs a bunch more.
> Can I not use 2x 512Mb Elixir to work under HT technology or is there an
> issue with Dell compatibility or matched pairs etc
> I really don't want to pay £75 for each 512Mb strip!
> Thanks
> David
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2005 2:49:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"ScreamingMan" <akiss@spam.life.uiuc.edu> wrote in message
news:D bf0vv$meq$1@news.ks.uiuc.edu...
> Dell, HP, and IBM use proprietary memory sticks, usually with nine RAM
chips
> as opposed to eight. Most often, they are sync'd with the MOBO. So, you
> take your chances with non-DELL RAM.
>

Nine chips simply means ECC memory.

Have any links for this 'proprietary' memory?
!