Domain name restriction.

Hi,

Just trying to find out what the limitation is on domains
which NT 4.0 can join. I have a 2000 domain which is
called 12345678912345.123

Problem is that I want to add a couple NT4.0 machines to
this domain (there are currently no NT machines on the
domain). When I try to join the domain, I cannot enter
the full domain name.. There is not enough room.

I've been searching for documentation on the exact
limitation, and anyone who could provide a link to some
documentation would be most helpful.

Thanks for the help.

Erik.

For downlevel clients you have to enter the 15 digit
Netbios name e.g., 12345678912345
The Netbios Name is limited to 15 characters.

"Erik Burton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just trying to find out what the limitation is on domains
> which NT 4.0 can join. I have a 2000 domain which is
> called 12345678912345.123
>
> Problem is that I want to add a couple NT4.0 machines to
> this domain (there are currently no NT machines on the
> domain). When I try to join the domain, I cannot enter
> the full domain name.. There is not enough room.
>
> I've been searching for documentation on the exact
> limitation, and anyone who could provide a link to some
> documentation would be most helpful.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Erik.

Thanks for the reply!

I have tried entering what I can, that's everything up
until the period. Though if I try that, it will not find
the domain controller. It seems to me that it cannot
resolve the name since it doesn't know the extension.

Do you mean to enter the Hostname of a domain controller
instead of the domain name??

Is there a way to get these machines onto this domain
which has a 14.3 domain name?

Again, thanks for the prompt reply.

wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just trying to find out what the limitation is on
domains
>> which NT 4.0 can join. I have a 2000 domain which is
>> called 12345678912345.123
>>
>> Problem is that I want to add a couple NT4.0 machines
>> this domain (there are currently no NT machines on the
>> domain). When I try to join the domain, I cannot enter
>> the full domain name.. There is not enough room.
>>
>> I've been searching for documentation on the exact
>> limitation, and anyone who could provide a link to some
>> documentation would be most helpful.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Erik.
>

>.

Open the AD Domains and Trusts and highlight the domain
and right click then left click on properties and look at the
PreWindows 2000 domain name. That's the Netbios domain
name you should be entering. If the machine still cannot find
the domain then I'll need more details of your setup including
subnetting and methods of name resolution. If you have a
NBNS (Netbios Name Server e.g., WINS) then make sure
the machine is pointing towards the WINS server.

"Erik Burton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I have tried entering what I can, that's everything up
> until the period. Though if I try that, it will not find
> the domain controller. It seems to me that it cannot
> resolve the name since it doesn't know the extension.
>
> Do you mean to enter the Hostname of a domain controller
> instead of the domain name??
>
> Is there a way to get these machines onto this domain
> which has a 14.3 domain name?
>
> Again, thanks for the prompt reply.

In news:458001c49061$45a7f880$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Erik Burton <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I have tried entering what I can, that's everything up
> until the period. Though if I try that, it will not find
> the domain controller. It seems to me that it cannot
> resolve the name since it doesn't know the extension.
>
> Do you mean to enter the Hostname of a domain controller
> instead of the domain name??

Open Active Directory Users & Computers, right click on the object named
with your domain name choose properties. On the General tab it will have
your Pre-Windows 2000 Domain name. That is the name you use with NT4.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]