Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

no cleartype in landscape ?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 8:35:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

i notice that on QVGA WM2003SE Pocket PC's, cleartype is disabled when the
screen is in landscape orientation.

is that a limitation of the OS (i.e. cleartype fints cannot be used in
landscape) ?

or is that just because the OEM did not include the cleartype fonts that
match the landscape screen orientations (right and left) ?

naturally i understand that cleartype fonts take ROM space, and that special
cleartype fonts are necessary for landscape viewing.

also, i noticed that some QVGA displays used by some WM2003SE devices (e.g.
Axim x30) are very uncomfortable to use in landscape orientation, because
they have very limited viewing angles in one direction. in other words, when
in landscape, one of your eyes sees the display in an orientation in which
the display does not look good, because of parallax. apparently those
display hardware were designed for viewing in portrait orientation only.

More about : cleartype landscape

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 9:14:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The PocketTV Team wrote:

> i notice that on QVGA WM2003SE Pocket PC's, cleartype is disabled when the
> screen is in landscape orientation.
>
> is that a limitation of the OS (i.e. cleartype fints cannot be used in
> landscape) ?
>
> or is that just because the OEM did not include the cleartype fonts that
> match the landscape screen orientations (right and left) ?
>
> naturally i understand that cleartype fonts take ROM space, and that special
> cleartype fonts are necessary for landscape viewing.

Actually that is not correct. ClearType is a name of a technology to
render fonts. The fonts themselves are not different, it's the way
pixels are generated from font description that is different.

I can't give you definite answer (i.e. I don't know that myself) but
it's possible that ClearType technology can only work in regular,
non-landscape mode and that would be a limitation of ClearType.

Krzysztof Kowalczyk | http://www.arslexis.com
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 9:50:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Krzysztof Kowalczyk" <kkowalczyk@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ekhtwz9hEHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The PocketTV Team wrote:
>
> I can't give you definite answer (i.e. I don't know that myself) but
> it's possible that ClearType technology can only work in regular,
> non-landscape mode and that would be a limitation of ClearType.

i know that what you say is incorrect. this is not a limitation of the
ClearType technology.

cleartype can work with any orientation. it just needs to know the relative
position of the R, G and B luminophores in each pixel, and the cleartype
font must be rendered according to that.

i just wanted to know why they don't support it in landscape on the WM2003SE
Pocket PC's.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 1:17:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

There are *not* different fonts for each rotation. ClearType assumes a
specific RGB striping of the LCD and renders based on that. While it is
true that the display driver and ClearType could alter the algorithms based
on rotation, Windows CE supports only vertical RGB striping, so there's no
way for an OEM to allow ClearType that actually looks right in both
orientations, in fact it will be suboptimal with a 180 degree rotation
because striping then is BGR.

http://grc.com/ctwhat.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

-Chris



"The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in message
news:uQIC7H%23hEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>
> "Krzysztof Kowalczyk" <kkowalczyk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ekhtwz9hEHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > The PocketTV Team wrote:
> >
> > I can't give you definite answer (i.e. I don't know that myself) but
> > it's possible that ClearType technology can only work in regular,
> > non-landscape mode and that would be a limitation of ClearType.
>
> i know that what you say is incorrect. this is not a limitation of the
> ClearType technology.
>
> cleartype can work with any orientation. it just needs to know the
relative
> position of the R, G and B luminophores in each pixel, and the cleartype
> font must be rendered according to that.
>
> i just wanted to know why they don't support it in landscape on the
WM2003SE
> Pocket PC's.
>
>
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 1:17:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> There are *not* different fonts for each rotation. ClearType assumes a
> specific RGB striping of the LCD and renders based on that. While it is
> true that the display driver and ClearType could alter the algorithms
based
> on rotation, Windows CE supports only vertical RGB striping,

will this be fixed in Magneto ?

of course, if most Magneto devices will be VGA, Cleartype is not that
important (hard to see the difference on a VGA screen!)

> so there's no
> way for an OEM to allow ClearType that actually looks right in both
> orientations, in fact it will be suboptimal with a 180 degree rotation
> because striping then is BGR.

i don't see why it would be more suboptimal with a 180 degree rotation - i
mean, if ClearType could had algorithms to support horizontal RGB stripping.
August 22, 2004 6:06:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.
com> (Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:35:36) about "no cleartype in landscape ?":

It's just a technical issue, Cleartype is not bassed on the use of special
fonts. It's a post-processing applied to the rendered fonts. Changing the
brightness of the red, green and blue subpixels, the borders of the letters
are made smoother. The problem is that the software rutine that does that
is designed to work with vertical subpixels, so in landscape mode it can't
work. Maybe they will fix it in a future release.

Bye
Victor <vcespon-@-terra.es> Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:59:21 +0200

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

----- Original Message -----
From: "The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> Sent: Sun,
22 Aug 2004 01:35:36 Subject: no cleartype in landscape ?


i notice that on QVGA WM2003SE Pocket PC's, cleartype is disabled when the
screen is in landscape orientation.

is that a limitation of the OS (i.e. cleartype fints cannot be used in
landscape) ?

or is that just because the OEM did not include the cleartype fonts that
match the landscape screen orientations (right and left) ?

naturally i understand that cleartype fonts take ROM space, and that
special cleartype fonts are necessary for landscape viewing.

also, i noticed that some QVGA displays used by some WM2003SE devices (e.g.
Axim x30) are very uncomfortable to use in landscape orientation, because
they have very limited viewing angles in one direction. in other words,
when in landscape, one of your eyes sees the display in an orientation in
which the display does not look good, because of parallax. apparently those
display hardware were designed for viewing in portrait orientation only.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 6:06:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

"Victor" <vcespon-@-terra.es> wrote in message
news:1093125972@vcespon-.-terra.es...
> Reply to message from "The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.
> com> (Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:35:36) about "no cleartype in landscape ?":
>
> It's just a technical issue, Cleartype is not bassed on the use of special
> fonts. It's a post-processing applied to the rendered fonts. Changing the
> brightness of the red, green and blue subpixels, the borders of the
letters
> are made smoother. The problem is that the software rutine that does that
> is designed to work with vertical subpixels, so in landscape mode it can't
> work. Maybe they will fix it in a future release.

i know exactly (and very well) how cleartype works.

i just thought the cleartype fonts were pre-calculated and in ROM, and you
seem to say they are calculated by software. not sure that you are right.
what is the source of your information ?
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 6:06:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/WhatIsClearType.msp...

-Chris


"The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in message
news:o jbLdG%23hEHA.712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
> "Victor" <vcespon-@-terra.es> wrote in message
> news:1093125972@vcespon-.-terra.es...
> > Reply to message from "The PocketTV Team"
<do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.
> > com> (Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:35:36) about "no cleartype in landscape ?":
> >
> > It's just a technical issue, Cleartype is not bassed on the use of
special
> > fonts. It's a post-processing applied to the rendered fonts. Changing
the
> > brightness of the red, green and blue subpixels, the borders of the
> letters
> > are made smoother. The problem is that the software rutine that does
that
> > is designed to work with vertical subpixels, so in landscape mode it
can't
> > work. Maybe they will fix it in a future release.
>
> i know exactly (and very well) how cleartype works.
>
> i just thought the cleartype fonts were pre-calculated and in ROM, and you
> seem to say they are calculated by software. not sure that you are right.
> what is the source of your information ?
>
>
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 6:06:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Tacke, eMVP" <ctacke[at]OpenNETCF_dot_org>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: no cleartype in landscape ?


> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/WhatIsClearType.msp...

Thanks, but I know all that.

There is no technical reason for Cleartype to not work also in Landscape.

Of course it would have to know that the luminophores (sub-pixels) are not
disposed in the same way.

Question: Now that Windows Media 2003 Second Edition has introduced support
for Landscape-oriented screens, will they have a version of Cleartype that
supports those ?
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 11:20:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

"The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in message
news:%23UTSEfAiEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> ----- Original Message -----
........
>
> Thanks, but I know all that.
>
> There is no technical reason for Cleartype to not work also in Landscape.
>
> Of course it would have to know that the luminophores (sub-pixels) are not
> disposed in the same way.

Is that not a technical reason? After you said 'There is no technical reason
for Cleartype to not work also in Landscape'.

Did you try asking Microsoft?
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 11:20:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

> > Of course it would have to know that the luminophores (sub-pixels) are
not
> > disposed in the same way.
>
> Is that not a technical reason?

it's not a technical reason that makes it impossible to handle cleartype in
both portrait and the two landscape oprientation. it can "technically" be
implemented. no technical reason prevent this.

the fact that it is not implemented is an engineering choice based on
specifications, development cost, memory requirements, or whatever other
reason. it is not missing because of a technical impossibility, if you want.

> After you said 'There is no technical reason
> for Cleartype to not work also in Landscape'.
>
> Did you try asking Microsoft?

Microsoft people monitor this forum :) 
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 11:29:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in message
news:uv$5qs%23hEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > There are *not* different fonts for each rotation. ClearType assumes a
> > specific RGB striping of the LCD and renders based on that. While it is
> > true that the display driver and ClearType could alter the algorithms
> based
> > on rotation, Windows CE supports only vertical RGB striping,
>
> will this be fixed in Magneto ?

Magneto won't change physical positioning of sub-pixels. Talk to the screen
manufaturers?


>
> of course, if most Magneto devices will be VGA, Cleartype is not that
> important (hard to see the difference on a VGA screen!)
>
> > so there's no
> > way for an OEM to allow ClearType that actually looks right in both
> > orientations, in fact it will be suboptimal with a 180 degree rotation
> > because striping then is BGR.
>
> i don't see why it would be more suboptimal with a 180 degree rotation - i
> mean, if ClearType could had algorithms to support horizontal RGB
stripping.
>
>

Just because *you* don't see doesn't mean that what you have been told is
not right.It seems that you need to spend more time and effort learning the
subject you are asking about rather than just keep denying/arguing with
others posts. You obviously don't know (or you wouldn't be asking) but you
don't seem to want to accept any information volunteered.
Have you considered the shape of the sub-pixels in the different
orientations? And relative positions? They will differ when viewing in
portrait and landscape mode.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 11:29:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> > will this be fixed in Magneto ?
>
> Magneto won't change physical positioning of sub-pixels. Talk to the
screen
> manufaturers?

that's not the issue.

the position of the sub-pixels will never be the same in landscape and
portrait.

the only way to solve the problem here is to improve the cleartype algorithm
so that it does things differently depending on the display orientation.

my question was: will this be done in magneto ?

will there be correctt sub-pixel font interpolation based on the position of
the subpixels in landscape orientation (which is not the same in left-handed
portrait and right-handed portrait, as you also know) ?

> Have you considered the shape of the sub-pixels in the different
> orientations? And relative positions? They will differ when viewing in
> portrait and landscape mode.

i know this very well. i'm far less "ignorant" on the subject than you
assume.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 12:04:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> will this be fixed in Magneto ?

Nope. Magneto is based on CE 5.0 and the link I pointed to that says it
only supports vertical striping was infor on CE 5.0.

> i don't see why it would be more suboptimal with a 180 degree rotation - i
> mean, if ClearType could had algorithms to support horizontal RGB
stripping.

It's because ClearType is optimized for RGB, in that order. If you fli[ the
display, the striping becomes BGR. You'll het fuzzy color shifts on the
edges when the algo tries to turn on say red and ends up turning on blue due
to the inversion.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 12:06:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

>
> There is no technical reason for Cleartype to not work also in Landscape.
>

Correct, but CE doesn't implement it.

> Question: Now that Windows Media 2003 Second Edition has introduced
support
> for Landscape-oriented screens, will they have a version of Cleartype that
> supports those ?

You mean Windows Mobile, not Media, I assume. The question is still no.
The underlying OS is still CE, which doesn't support it. Not ideal, but a
fact of life.
August 22, 2004 6:09:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "Chris Tacke, eMVP" <ctacke[at]OpenNETCF_dot_org>
(Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:04:35) about "Re: no cleartype in landscape ?":


>> will this be fixed in Magneto ?

CT> Nope. Magneto is based on CE 5.0 and the link I pointed to that says
CT> it only supports vertical striping was infor on CE 5.0.

>> i don't see why it would be more suboptimal with a 180 degree
>> rotation - i mean, if ClearType could had algorithms to support
>> horizontal RGB
CT> stripping.

CT> It's because ClearType is optimized for RGB, in that order. If you
CT> fli[ the display, the striping becomes BGR. You'll het fuzzy color
CT> shifts on the edges when the algo tries to turn on say red and ends up
CT> turning on blue due to the inversion.

He probably knows that "Very well...."

;> )



Bye
Martin <martin@scotland.org> Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:08:52 +0100

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 8:20:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

"The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in message
news:esPsmWDiEHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...


> >
> > Did you try asking Microsoft?
>
> Microsoft people monitor this forum :) 
>
>

And if you want an answer you will ask. It can't be that important if it's
not worth an email from you (relying on chance).
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 8:21:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in message
news:o sf3WUDiEHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...


>
> i know this very well. i'm far less "ignorant" on the subject than you
> assume.
>
>
>

You *think* you are far less ignorant, but that's not what you have
demonstrated....
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 10:47:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in message
news:uv$5qs%23hEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> of course, if most Magneto devices will be VGA, Cleartype is not that
> important (hard to see the difference on a VGA screen!)

I actually see more of a difference on a VGA screen than on a small screen
with ClearType. Probably because the fonts are so much larger.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 11:18:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> It's because ClearType is optimized for RGB, in that order. If you fli[
the
> display, the striping becomes BGR. You'll het fuzzy color shifts on the
> edges when the algo tries to turn on say red and ends up turning on blue
due
> to the inversion.

naturally, but again, there is no technical impossibility that would prevent
adding support in cleartype for other subpixel dispositions.

i understand that there is no such support, so currently cleartype cannot
work unless subpixels are in vertical disposition.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 11:22:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

> And if you want an answer you will ask. It can't be that important if it's
> not worth an email from you (relying on chance).

i already go the answer.

the answer is: it would be technically possible to have cleartype working in
landscape, but it would require cleartype to support other subpixel
disposition, unfortunately it is not implemented at the time, cleartype only
support vertical stripping.

i am just disapointed that it will not work on magneto.

but again, most magneto pocket pcs will probably have VGA displays, so
cleartype will become obsolete/unnecessary...
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 11:25:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

yes, i meant Mobile :) 

thanks for the clear answer.

that's exactly what i was assuming, but i wanted to make sure. thanks for
the clarification.

too bad they did not think of implementing cleartype with support for
multiple subpixel disposition, especially now that WM2003SE have support for
screen rotation. it would have been so nice...


"Chris Tacke, eMVP" <ctacke[at]OpenNETCF_dot_org> wrote in message
news:o SQZ4BEiEHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >
> > There is no technical reason for Cleartype to not work also in
Landscape.
> >
>
> Correct, but CE doesn't implement it.
>
> > Question: Now that Windows Media 2003 Second Edition has introduced
> support
> > for Landscape-oriented screens, will they have a version of Cleartype
that
> > supports those ?
>
> You mean Windows Mobile, not Media, I assume. The question is still no.
> The underlying OS is still CE, which doesn't support it. Not ideal, but a
> fact of life.
>
>
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 12:12:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hmmm...

Interesting...

I guess it is possible... but if it will be done or if it will be viable,
then that remains as another question.

I remember seeing some screens that actually render Cleartype pretty well in
landscape orientation. So I guess it not only depends on how Cleartype is
implemented, but also on the hardware... I guess we will forever be looking
for a good LCD<>Cleartype combo...

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices


"The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in message
news:o sf3WUDiEHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > will this be fixed in Magneto ?
>
> Magneto won't change physical positioning of sub-pixels. Talk to the
screen
> manufaturers?

that's not the issue.

the position of the sub-pixels will never be the same in landscape and
portrait.

the only way to solve the problem here is to improve the cleartype algorithm
so that it does things differently depending on the display orientation.

my question was: will this be done in magneto ?

will there be correctt sub-pixel font interpolation based on the position of
the subpixels in landscape orientation (which is not the same in left-handed
portrait and right-handed portrait, as you also know) ?

> Have you considered the shape of the sub-pixels in the different
> orientations? And relative positions? They will differ when viewing in
> portrait and landscape mode.

i know this very well. i'm far less "ignorant" on the subject than you
assume.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 12:15:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I remember having Cleartype running on my Jornada 568 before... and it
performed pretty well in landscape... much better then the iPAQs at that
time.

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices


"Chris Tacke, eMVP" <ctacke[at]OpenNETCF_dot_org> wrote in message
news:uv8d0AEiEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> will this be fixed in Magneto ?

Nope. Magneto is based on CE 5.0 and the link I pointed to that says it
only supports vertical striping was infor on CE 5.0.

> i don't see why it would be more suboptimal with a 180 degree rotation - i
> mean, if ClearType could had algorithms to support horizontal RGB
stripping.

It's because ClearType is optimized for RGB, in that order. If you fli[ the
display, the striping becomes BGR. You'll het fuzzy color shifts on the
edges when the algo tries to turn on say red and ends up turning on blue due
to the inversion.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:31:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I have a little freeware at
http://www.pc-counselor.com/downloads.htm#freewares

to activate cleartype in landscape in SE. Just copy that little exe in
your startup folder and being in Portrait activate the cleartype in your
PPC, after that do a soft reset with my little tool in your
Windows\Startup and you will get cleartype in your PPC in landscape. ;) 

In that way you will be able to see how it looks ;) 

The PocketTV Team wrote:

> i notice that on QVGA WM2003SE Pocket PC's, cleartype is disabled when the
> screen is in landscape orientation.
>
> is that a limitation of the OS (i.e. cleartype fints cannot be used in
> landscape) ?
>
> or is that just because the OEM did not include the cleartype fonts that
> match the landscape screen orientations (right and left) ?
>
> naturally i understand that cleartype fonts take ROM space, and that special
> cleartype fonts are necessary for landscape viewing.
>
> also, i noticed that some QVGA displays used by some WM2003SE devices (e.g.
> Axim x30) are very uncomfortable to use in landscape orientation, because
> they have very limited viewing angles in one direction. in other words, when
> in landscape, one of your eyes sees the display in an orientation in which
> the display does not look good, because of parallax. apparently those
> display hardware were designed for viewing in portrait orientation only.
>
>
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:31:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"CTitanic" <ctitanicNOSPAM@pc-counselor.8m.com> wrote in message
news:o vqmWoXiEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I have a little freeware at
> http://www.pc-counselor.com/downloads.htm#freewares
>
> to activate cleartype in landscape in SE. Just copy that little exe in
> your startup folder and being in Portrait activate the cleartype in your
> PPC, after that do a soft reset with my little tool in your
> Windows\Startup and you will get cleartype in your PPC in landscape. ;) 
>
> In that way you will be able to see how it looks ;) 

well, i would assume it does not look good at all since the cleartype
algorithm currently always assumes vertical banding of the sub-pixels.

in landscape mode, the banding of the sub-pixels is horizontal, not
vertical.

so cleartype would need to use a different algorithm in order to look good
in landscape, but it does not. so i don't see any point in using cleartype
in landscape until the day when cleartype supports the corresponding
sub-pixel arrangement (which it does not yet, as we learned).
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:31:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in message
news:o oOfs7YiEHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "CTitanic" <ctitanicNOSPAM@pc-counselor.8m.com> wrote in message
> news:o vqmWoXiEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > I have a little freeware at
> > http://www.pc-counselor.com/downloads.htm#freewares
> >
> > to activate cleartype in landscape in SE. Just copy that little exe in
> > your startup folder and being in Portrait activate the cleartype in your
> > PPC, after that do a soft reset with my little tool in your
> > Windows\Startup and you will get cleartype in your PPC in landscape. ;) 
> >
> > In that way you will be able to see how it looks ;) 
>
> well, i would assume it does not look good at all since the cleartype
> algorithm currently always assumes vertical banding of the sub-pixels.
>
> in landscape mode, the banding of the sub-pixels is horizontal, not
> vertical.
>
> so cleartype would need to use a different algorithm in order to look good
> in landscape, but it does not. so i don't see any point in using
cleartype
> in landscape until the day when cleartype supports the corresponding
> sub-pixel arrangement (which it does not yet, as we learned).
>
>

That's a lot of assuming...

Why don't you just try it?
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 5:40:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message > >
>
> That's a lot of assuming...
>
> Why don't you just try it?
>
>

Exactly! :D 
August 3, 2012 5:56:05 PM

1. tap Start > Settings > System > Screen > ClearType and make the Enable ClearType box ticked on.

2. Start the registry editor and navigate your way to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\ClearTypeSettings

3. Mark the DWORD entry titled, OffOnRotation

4. By default it has value of 1. You need to edit the value to 0.

5. You need just to Accept the changes and soft-reset your Pocket PC


That's all you guys had to say... Works fine in both landscape and portrait now.
!