Windows xp upgrade on compaq

IS THERE A KNOW PROBLEM WITH UPGRADING COMPAQ 7478 TO
WINDOWS XP
5 answers Last reply
More about windows upgrade compaq

    If there is try formatting then just install windows xp

    or open a word file the system hangs

    Hi, Marv.

    I've never owned a Compaq and don't know what a 7478 is, but...

    Do you specifically mean "upgrade"? Or would a "clean install" suit you
    just as well? What operating system came pre-installed on your Compaq?
    Does your Compaq meet the minimum requirements to install WinXP? A quick
    description would be nice for those of us who aren't familiar with that
    model.

    Anything you can do to make it easier for us to help you will make it more
    likely that you will actually get help. We WANT to help; that's why we're
    here; but you have to do your part, too.

    Tell us, step by step, exactly how you are attempting to do the upgrade, and
    what messages you see on your screen. (Neither Device Manager nor Word,
    which you mentioned in another post in this thread) should have anything to
    do with upgrading to WinXP.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Marv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > IS THERE A KNOW PROBLEM WITH UPGRADING COMPAQ 7478 TO
    > WINDOWS XP

    Greetings --

    First of all, please unstick your CapsLock key. Posting in all
    caps, as you have done, is the Usenet equivalent of shouting, and is
    considered very rude. More importantly, posting in all caps makes the
    post very hard to read, further reducing your chances of getting help.

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Marv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > IS THERE A KNOW PROBLEM WITH UPGRADING COMPAQ 7478 TO
    > WINDOWS XP

    Marv:
    I have a 7100 Model Compaq and the xp upgrade went very well when I
    installed it three years ago. I always do a Quick Restore back to the OS that
    was installed when you purchase the Computer, then I do the xp upgrade after
    I have done that. I have found out that when I uninstalled xp upgrade, and
    then re-install xp it seems to bring up all kinds of errors on my Computer.
    Hope this helps.

    "Marv" wrote:

    > IS THERE A KNOW PROBLEM WITH UPGRADING COMPAQ 7478 TO
    > WINDOWS XP

Windows XP Microsoft Compaq