enforce screen saver password

Eugene

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Hi,

I am trying to enforce screen saver password to certain users in my domain.

I created a pwd.reg file which contains
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"SCRNSAVE.EXE"="C:\\WINNT\\system32\\logon.scr"
"ScreenSaveActive"="1"
"ScreenSaveTimeOut"="120"
"ScreenSaverIsSecure"="1"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
Panel\Desktop]
"ScreenSaverIsSecure"=dword:00000001

I added this line in the login script "regedit /s \\{server}\pwd.reg"

But I got this error during login "Cannot import \\{server}\pwd.reg : error
accessing regisrty"

Any way to get around this without giving users admin permission?
What is the "regedit /r" parameter used for? I tried adding the "/r"
parameter and pointed it to %username% and did not get the error, but it did
not change the registry as well.

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Use Group Policy.

The settings for the screensaver are here

User Configuration--Administrative Templates--Control Panel--Display

Regards
Mark Dormer

"Eugene" <@> wrote in message news:eKUK1zVkEHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to enforce screen saver password to certain users in my
> domain.
>
> I created a pwd.reg file which contains
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
> "SCRNSAVE.EXE"="C:\\WINNT\\system32\\logon.scr"
> "ScreenSaveActive"="1"
> "ScreenSaveTimeOut"="120"
> "ScreenSaverIsSecure"="1"
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
> Panel\Desktop]
> "ScreenSaverIsSecure"=dword:00000001
>
> I added this line in the login script "regedit /s \\{server}\pwd.reg"
>
> But I got this error during login "Cannot import \\{server}\pwd.reg :
> error
> accessing regisrty"
>
> Any way to get around this without giving users admin permission?
> What is the "regedit /r" parameter used for? I tried adding the "/r"
> parameter and pointed it to %username% and did not get the error, but it
> did
> not change the registry as well.
>
> Thanks.

Eugene

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Hi Mark,

Thank for the quick reply.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm using a NT PDC. I using a mix environment.

I'm not familiar with NT policies. I tried using the System policy on my DC
but I can only prevent password from being remove, not enforcing it.

Thanks.

"Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote in message
> Use Group Policy.
>
> The settings for the screensaver are here
>
> User Configuration--Administrative Templates--Control Panel--Display
>
> Regards
> Mark Dormer
>

> "Eugene" <@> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to enforce screen saver password to certain users in my
> > domain.
> >
> > I created a pwd.reg file which contains
> > REGEDIT4
> >
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
> > "SCRNSAVE.EXE"="C:\\WINNT\\system32\\logon.scr"
> > "ScreenSaveActive"="1"
> > "ScreenSaveTimeOut"="120"
> > "ScreenSaverIsSecure"="1"
> >
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
> > Panel\Desktop]
> > "ScreenSaverIsSecure"=dword:00000001
> >
> > I added this line in the login script "regedit /s \\{server}\pwd.reg"
> >
> > But I got this error during login "Cannot import \\{server}\pwd.reg :
> > error
> > accessing regisrty"
> >
> > Any way to get around this without giving users admin permission?
> > What is the "regedit /r" parameter used for? I tried adding the "/r"
> > parameter and pointed it to %username% and did not get the error, but it
> > did
> > not change the registry as well.
> >
> > Thanks.

Eugene

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

just in case anyone is interested...

I used a system policy to enforce the screen saver password instead.

you can find more info at MS KB article - 195655