Promo BDC to PDC on w2k

Hi,

I have two windows 2000 acts as a PDC and BDC. One day, my PDC windows 2000
suddenly crashed. I use my BDC w2k to service my domain client. After repair
the original PDC, I reinstall the w2k and acts as a part of domain
controller. Now, I have two w2k with BDC function. how can i promo original
PDC to be a new PDC from BDC. thanks.

Regards,
Andy
4 answers Last reply
More about promo

    In NT there are no PDCs and BDCs the DCs work on
    a peer to peer level. There is a PDC emulator role which
    is usually the first DC of the domain. Transfer the PDC
    emulator role.

    "Andy Woo" <anwoo@verde.com> wrote in message news:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two windows 2000 acts as a PDC and BDC. One day, my PDC windows
    2000
    > suddenly crashed. I use my BDC w2k to service my domain client. After
    repair
    > the original PDC, I reinstall the w2k and acts as a part of domain
    > controller. Now, I have two w2k with BDC function. how can i promo
    original
    > PDC to be a new PDC from BDC. thanks.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Andy

    But why win2003 server have PDC and BDC? and how to transfer the PDC
    emulator role? please give me more detail idea. Thanks.

    "Michael Giorgio - MVP" <michael.giorgio@Nospam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:OUDQTENlEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > In NT there are no PDCs and BDCs the DCs work on
    > a peer to peer level. There is a PDC emulator role which
    > is usually the first DC of the domain. Transfer the PDC
    > emulator role.
    >
    > "Andy Woo" <anwoo@verde.com> wrote in message news:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have two windows 2000 acts as a PDC and BDC. One day, my PDC windows
    > 2000
    >> suddenly crashed. I use my BDC w2k to service my domain client. After
    > repair
    >> the original PDC, I reinstall the w2k and acts as a part of domain
    >> controller. Now, I have two w2k with BDC function. how can i promo
    > original
    >> PDC to be a new PDC from BDC. thanks.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Andy

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Why doesn't W2k3 server have a PDC and BDC? In NT
    changes can only be made on the PDC e.g., a machine will
    have to contact the PDC for all security changes. The changes
    are then replicated out to all BDCs on the domain. W2k or
    higher DCs work on a peer to peer basis meaning changes
    can be made on all DCs and replicated out to all DCs of the
    domain. For backwards compatibility the first DC of a W2k
    or higher domain will act as the PDC emulator role holder.

    How To View and Transfer FSMO Roles in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324801
    "Andy Woo" <anwoo@verde.com> wrote in message news:
    > But why win2003 server have PDC and BDC? and how to transfer the PDC
    > emulator role? please give me more detail idea. Thanks.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    In news:uT9BsaYlEHA.2224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Andy Woo <anwoo@verde.com> wrote their comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > But why win2003 server have PDC and BDC? and how to
    > transfer the PDC emulator role? please give me more
    > detail idea. Thanks.

    If the DC that went down was the first DC in your forest, chances are it
    held all 5 FSMO roles (RID, Infrastructure, PDC, Domain Naming, and Schema
    Masters) You will need to seize all five of these roles since the original
    crashed and was not restored from backup. You will also need at least one
    Global Catalog, too.

    197132 - Windows 2000 Active Directory FSMO Roles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;197132

    223787 - Flexible Single Master Operation Transfer and Seizure Process:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223787

    234790 - How To Find Servers That Hold Flexible Single Master Operations
    Roles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234790

    255504 - Using Ntdsutil.exe to Seize or Transfer FSMO Roles to a Domain
    Controller:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504

    255690 - HOW TO View and Transfer FSMO Roles in the Graphical User
    Interface:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690

    313994 - How To Create or Move a Global Catalog in Windows 2000:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]