help with video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

are the Radeon cards, namely the AIW and the 64MBDDR and good in video editing and capturing...
I guess Pinacle rules in video editing solutions...but i was aiming for a card that can do other things besides video editing...
So...is the Radeon solution any good...i'm not aiming for professional video editing capabilities...just converting small clips of various surgical procedures here and there in my work...short clips actually....
I'd really want get the 64MBDDR...as i find the TV tuner stuff of the AIW useless to me...
so..is the VIVO on the 64MBDDR good enough??
any advice would be great.....

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
With the right drivers set up properly, the Radeon's are pretty good at vid. capture. It can be a trick to get it all working however. The latest "official drivers" from ATI do work both in w2k and w98/me.

For external video capture, the only difference between the 64 vivo and the AIW is that the AIW has s-video IN whereas the 64 VIVO has only composite video in. Both have s-video out.

I got the AIW for this reason, and at this point think I should have gotten the 64vivo. I don't use the TV features at all, though they are pretty neat (like TIVO).

The vid edit software that comes with the AIW isn't very good however, M$ coerced ATI to use a newer codec for capture that isn't very well supported yet. This could present some issues. I haven't solved all of them yet and don't have time to until fall.

my 2 cents

BW

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek:

G

you said"AIW has s-video IN whereas the 64 VIVO has only composite video in. Both have s-video out"
what's the difference in that....??
does it mean i cant capture video from a VCR or a camcorder using the 64MBDDR

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
"does it mean i cant capture video from a VCR or a camcorder using the 64MBDDR"

No, you will be able to capture to the 64 VIVO just fine using the composite. Composite is the RCA connector. An s-video connector looks something like a PS-2 connector.

If your video source doesn't have s-video out, then you certainly won't need s-video in. Even if it does, it will also have composite out.

S-video is just a slightly better connection from one analog video source to another. It separates the different parts of the signal to get cleaner transmission. It is perceptible, but a good "composite" signal is pretty good too. Essentially all analog video devices have composite. S-video started with SVHS and Hi8 video. Most newer TV's have s-video in. S-video is also common on home DVD's as a step up from composite. You can look into this at any TV/video store. You can also "see" the connectors on the 3D animated product info pages at ATI.

Of course for serious video editing you'll eventually want DV. That's where I'm heading within the next year.
Hope that helps.

BW

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bw37 on 06/16/01 10:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got an AIW Radeon that works ok. If your source is not first quality then the card does not capture correctly. This is a big problem if you have old tapes of sketchy quality to convert. It works great as a VCR recording good signals from a dish.

The AIW has S-vid and sound inputs where the VIVO does not (I believe). S-vid is basically just a high quality version of composite using extra conductors for a better signal. You don't need it but it is nice. Talk to someone with a 64VIVO before you decide. Both of your helpers so far have 32AIW. I'm wondering if a AGP Gforce and a pci video editor might not be the way to go. Good luck. LD

Status
Not open for further replies.