NT4 Client fails to authenticate it's machine account in a..

I can add an NT4 client to a windows 2000 domain and
records are created in WINS, DNS and the AD. However when
the machine is rebooted it fails to authenticate with it's
AD account.
I've tried creating the machine account in the AD
manually, as well as the DNS record.

The same machine works OK in a test enviromemt.

Any ideas

When you say "authenticate it's machine account " what exactly
do you mean? Can we assume you are getting an error the trust
relationship between the primary domain failed?

"Andy B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> I can add an NT4 client to a windows 2000 domain and
> records are created in WINS, DNS and the AD. However when
> the machine is rebooted it fails to authenticate with it's
> AD account.
> I've tried creating the machine account in the AD
> manually, as well as the DNS record.
>
> The same machine works OK in a test enviromemt.

andyb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003

when the client machine tries to log in the message "The
system cannot log ypu on to this domain because the
systems computer account in it's primary domain is missing
or the pasword on that account is incorrect".

The account is there in the AD and records exist in the
DNS and WINS for the machine and we have also tried to
manually create the computer account. Until now NT
machines have been OK, but last week they have all started
to fail in this way.

We have setup a test DC on a separate network configured
in exactly the same way as the live domain, and the same
NT clients work OK in this setup. the only difference are
some of the latest security updates, 839645, 840315,
841872 and 842526.

Have you tried resetting the account in the AD? If this
doesn't work then a registry setting could be preventing
the NT machines from setting up a secure channel.
Check the following values in the registry:

RestrictAnonymous
LMCompatibility

How to Use the RestrictAnonymous Registry Value in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246261