Monitor does not get any signal after upgrading motherboar..

I ordered an EP-8KMM3I-X motherboard and an AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU from
newegg.com a couple of weeks ago, after I installed them in my computer
case and connected every peripheral devices, I turned on the power, but
the monitor does not get any signal.

You can view the motherboard here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123231

However, the fan of the cooler works great, also, the HDD indicator is
on, but just the monitor does not get any signal. The 512MB DDR RAM is
good, too, because I tested it on another desktop and it works great.

The motherboard and the CPU (the entire system actually) worked great
before I tested them outside the case.

Is it possible that the motherboard has been damaged?

Could any of you please help me trouble shoot this? Thanks.
10 answers Last reply
More about monitor signal upgrading motherboar

    Yes, I tested them outside of the case.

    Bare minimum components, what else can I take off? HDD? RAM?

    Are you sure that the monitor is plugged into the correct video out and that
    is the video out which is selected in the BIOS? i.e., that you haven't
    selected "on-board" video and then are plugged into an AGP card?

    SM

    <antonyliu2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I ordered an EP-8KMM3I-X motherboard and an AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU from
    > newegg.com a couple of weeks ago, after I installed them in my computer
    > case and connected every peripheral devices, I turned on the power, but
    > the monitor does not get any signal.
    >
    > You can view the motherboard here:
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123231
    >
    > However, the fan of the cooler works great, also, the HDD indicator is
    > on, but just the monitor does not get any signal. The 512MB DDR RAM is
    > good, too, because I tested it on another desktop and it works great.
    >
    > The motherboard and the CPU (the entire system actually) worked great
    > before I tested them outside the case.
    >
    > Is it possible that the motherboard has been damaged?
    >
    > Could any of you please help me trouble shoot this? Thanks.

    Well, the onboard video support is the only video out I have. I am not
    using any PCI or AGP video card. As a matter of fact, those slots are
    not used at all at this point of time.

    What else might it be? Thanks.

    ScreamingMan wrote:
    > Are you sure that the monitor is plugged into the correct video out and that
    > is the video out which is selected in the BIOS? i.e., that you haven't
    > selected "on-board" video and then are plugged into an AGP card?
    >
    > SM
    >

    > <antonyliu2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I ordered an EP-8KMM3I-X motherboard and an AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU from
    > > newegg.com a couple of weeks ago, after I installed them in my computer
    > > case and connected every peripheral devices, I turned on the power, but
    > > the monitor does not get any signal.
    > >
    > > You can view the motherboard here:
    > >
    > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123231
    > >
    > > However, the fan of the cooler works great, also, the HDD indicator is
    > > on, but just the monitor does not get any signal. The 512MB DDR RAM is
    > > good, too, because I tested it on another desktop and it works great.
    > >
    > > The motherboard and the CPU (the entire system actually) worked great
    > > before I tested them outside the case.
    > >
    > > Is it possible that the motherboard has been damaged?
    > >
    > > Could any of you please help me trouble shoot this? Thanks.

    antonyliu2002@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I ordered an EP-8KMM3I-X motherboard and an AMD Sempron 2400+
    > CPU from newegg.com a couple of weeks ago, after I installed
    > them in my computer case and connected every peripheral devices,
    > I turned on the power, but the monitor does not get any signal.
    > You can view the motherboard here:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123231
    > However, the fan of the cooler works great, also, the HDD
    > indicator is on,

    Permanently?

    > but just the monitor does not get any signal. The 512MB DDR RAM
    > is good, too, because I tested it on another desktop and it
    > works great.
    > The motherboard and the CPU (the entire system actually) worked
    > great before I tested them outside the case.

    You tested them outside of the case?

    > Is it possible that the motherboard has been damaged?

    You should test with the bare minimum components.

    John Doe wrote:
    > antonyliu2002 yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, I tested them outside of the case.
    >
    > How did you do that?

    O, I just put the motherboard on top of the case and connect the powers
    then powered it on.

    > > Bare minimum components, what else can I take off? HDD? RAM?
    >
    > Yes, only one stick of RAM. Everything except the bare minimum.
    > You should not include any peripherals.
    >
    > You do not need a hard disk drive to test.
    >
    > The only thing you should use when things go wrong is video and
    > keyboard. Remove everything except one stick of RAM. Be sure to
    > use a CPU heatsink and fan.

    I have only one 512MB DDR RAM, which has been tested and it works
    great. I'll try the minimum. I do have a CPU cooler.

    Now, is it possible that the motherboard has gone bad?

    on a side note: this has been done with the old harddrive and OS
    installation?
    have you tried clearing the cmos yet?
    your PSU is up to par with the new board?
    <antonyliu2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I ordered an EP-8KMM3I-X motherboard and an AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU from
    > newegg.com a couple of weeks ago, after I installed them in my computer
    > case and connected every peripheral devices, I turned on the power, but
    > the monitor does not get any signal.
    >
    > You can view the motherboard here:
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123231
    >
    > However, the fan of the cooler works great, also, the HDD indicator is
    > on, but just the monitor does not get any signal. The 512MB DDR RAM is
    > good, too, because I tested it on another desktop and it works great.
    >
    > The motherboard and the CPU (the entire system actually) worked great
    > before I tested them outside the case.
    >
    > Is it possible that the motherboard has been damaged?
    >
    > Could any of you please help me trouble shoot this? Thanks.

    antonyliu2002 yahoo.com wrote:

    > Yes, I tested them outside of the case.

    How did you do that?

    > Bare minimum components, what else can I take off? HDD? RAM?

    Yes, only one stick of RAM. Everything except the bare minimum.
    You should not include any peripherals.

    You do not need a hard disk drive to test.

    The only thing you should use when things go wrong is video and
    keyboard. Remove everything except one stick of RAM. Be sure to
    use a CPU heatsink and fan.

    > From: antonyliu2002 yahoo.com
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    > Subject: Re: Monitor does not get any signal after upgrading motherboard & CPU
    > Date: 21 Jul 2005 06:05:54 -0700

    antonyliu2002@yahoo.com wrote:
    > John Doe wrote:
    >> antonyliu2002 yahoo.com wrote:

    >> > Yes, I tested them outside of the case.

    >> How did you do that?

    > O, I just put the motherboard on top of the case and connect the
    > powers then powered it on.
    > Now, is it possible that the motherboard has gone bad?

    Yes, even likely, if the bottom of your mainboard was touching
    metal.

    If not, anything is possible. Again, you test by using minimum
    components.

    I ran into something similar recently. Here's what I was told to do on the
    group.

    1. Take the mobo out of the chassis.
    2. Take out everything except the CPU (even the memory) and the ATX 12V
    connector.
    3. Turn the PC on. You can do that by shorting the two connectors for the
    power switch.
    4. If you hear beeps, the board and CPU are fine.
    5. Now add RAM. Repeat 3, 4.
    6. Now add video. Repeat 3, 4.
    7. Now, slowly add other things.

    At some point, you'll find your problem.

    Good luck.
    --
    Wiley Q.

    "Wiley Q. Hacker" <wiley.q.hacker gmail.com> wrote:

    > I ran into something similar recently. Here's what I was told to
    > do on the group.
    > 1. Take the mobo out of the chassis.

    What group gave you that idea? Hopefully not here.

    > At some point, you'll find your problem.

    And if you short the underside of the mainboard, you will have
    additional problems.

    > Good luck.
    > --
    > Wiley Q.

    > From: "Wiley Q. Hacker" <wiley.q.hacker gmail.com>
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    > Subject: Re: Monitor does not get any signal after upgrading motherboard & CPU
    > Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:28:34 -0700

Homebuilt Monitors Motherboards Systems Product