Problem with browsing the network for certain workgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

We have here WindowsNT 4.0 LAN with workgroups. There are a couple of
workgroups (p.e. JUHID), from where it's impossible to browse entire
network, and other computers can't browse computers from those workgroups -
and this from computers with Win98 and from computers with WindowsXP.

An example:
There is a comp with Win98 in workgroup JUHID. In networks settings are
present
1) Client for Microsoft Networks with 'Log on to Windows NT domain' checked
and the domain set properly;
2) NetBEUI;
3) TCP/IP with fixed IP, gateway, WINS and DNS - all set properly;
4) File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks.

The comp is logged on into domain, it can access all available network
resources, can access internet through firewall, can ping all computers and
server, etc.

But when Network neighborhood is opened, no computer (there are at leas 2 in
workgroup) is displayed - only the 'Entire Network' icon is present. When to
try to open 'Entire Network', an error 'Unable to browse the network. The
network is not accessible. ...' is returned. At same time when searched for
some available computer on network, or for server, it's found and accessible
from Find window.

From other computers, or the workgoup isn't listed at all (Win98), or the
workgroup is listed, but when tried to open, an error 'This resource is not
accessible. ...' is returned (WindowsXP).

Setting the comp to another workgroup is enough to browse the network
properly. And I tested with my comp (win98) - when set to workgroup JUHID, I
couldn't browse the network anymore.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

--
Arvi Laanemets
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil<At>tarkon.ee)

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Enabling NetBIOS (in TCP properties / Advanced) might help.

--

"Arvi Laanemets" <garbage@hot.ee> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We have here WindowsNT 4.0 LAN with workgroups. There are a couple of
> workgroups (p.e. JUHID), from where it's impossible to browse entire
> network, and other computers can't browse computers from those
> workgroups -
> and this from computers with Win98 and from computers with WindowsXP.
>
> An example:
> There is a comp with Win98 in workgroup JUHID. In networks settings are
> present
> 1) Client for Microsoft Networks with 'Log on to Windows NT domain'
> checked
> and the domain set properly;
> 2) NetBEUI;
> 3) TCP/IP with fixed IP, gateway, WINS and DNS - all set properly;
> 4) File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks.
>
> The comp is logged on into domain, it can access all available network
> resources, can access internet through firewall, can ping all computers
> and
> server, etc.
>
> But when Network neighborhood is opened, no computer (there are at leas 2
> in
> workgroup) is displayed - only the 'Entire Network' icon is present. When
> try to open 'Entire Network', an error 'Unable to browse the network. The
> network is not accessible. ...' is returned. At same time when searched
> for
> some available computer on network, or for server, it's found and
> accessible
> from Find window.
>
> From other computers, or the workgoup isn't listed at all (Win98), or the
> workgroup is listed, but when tried to open, an error 'This resource is
> not
> accessible. ...' is returned (WindowsXP).
>
> Setting the comp to another workgroup is enough to browse the network
> properly. And I tested with my comp (win98) - when set to workgroup JUHID,
> couldn't browse the network anymore.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
> Arvi Laanemets
> (When sending e-mail, use address arvil<At>tarkon.ee)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

For Win98 this feature is on separate NetBIOS tab, enabled and dimmed by
default. And remember - the same computer with same settings in another
workgroups browses his own workgroup as entire network without any problem.
And any other computer from network, accessing network neighborhood without
problems, and visible in network before, disappears from network and can't
browse other computers, when it is put to this workgroup. It looks like the
workgroup is in some blacklist in server/master browser ?!

--

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:eGmy6BamEHA.2096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Enabling NetBIOS (in TCP properties / Advanced) might help.
>
> --
>
> "Arvi Laanemets" <garbage@hot.ee> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > We have here WindowsNT 4.0 LAN with workgroups. There are a couple of
> > workgroups (p.e. JUHID), from where it's impossible to browse entire
> > network, and other computers can't browse computers from those
> > workgroups -
> > and this from computers with Win98 and from computers with WindowsXP.
> >
> > An example:
> > There is a comp with Win98 in workgroup JUHID. In networks settings are
> > present
> > 1) Client for Microsoft Networks with 'Log on to Windows NT domain'
> > checked
> > and the domain set properly;
> > 2) NetBEUI;
> > 3) TCP/IP with fixed IP, gateway, WINS and DNS - all set properly;
> > 4) File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks.
> >
> > The comp is logged on into domain, it can access all available network
> > resources, can access internet through firewall, can ping all computers
> > and
> > server, etc.
> >
> > But when Network neighborhood is opened, no computer (there are at leas
2
> > in
> > workgroup) is displayed - only the 'Entire Network' icon is present.
When
> > try to open 'Entire Network', an error 'Unable to browse the network.
The
> > network is not accessible. ...' is returned. At same time when searched
> > for
> > some available computer on network, or for server, it's found and
> > accessible
> > from Find window.
> >
> > From other computers, or the workgoup isn't listed at all (Win98), or
the
> > workgroup is listed, but when tried to open, an error 'This resource is
> > not
> > accessible. ...' is returned (WindowsXP).
> >
> > Setting the comp to another workgroup is enough to browse the network
> > properly. And I tested with my comp (win98) - when set to workgroup
JUHID,
> > couldn't browse the network anymore.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > --
> > Arvi Laanemets
> > (When sending e-mail, use address arvil<At>tarkon.ee)

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

This might be relevant - Alternate Workgroup Name Stops Network Browsing
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190648&Product=w98
--

> [...]
>> > from Find window.
>> >
>> > From other computers, or the workgoup isn't listed at all (Win98), or
> the
>> > workgroup is listed, but when tried to open, an error 'This resource is
>> > not
>> > accessible. ...' is returned (WindowsXP).
>> >
>> > Setting the comp to another workgroup is enough to browse the network
>> > properly. And I tested with my comp (win98) - when set to workgroup
> JUHID,
>> > couldn't browse the network anymore.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > --
>> > Arvi Laanemets
>> > (When sending e-mail, use address arvil<At>tarkon.ee)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

We haven't used Policy Editor on any of our computers. And I'm 100% sure for
my comp, which I used for testing, about that - I did clean install a couple
of months ago.