BT Voyager 2100 and Network Setup

I have just purchased a BT Voyager 2100 ADSL router (plus 2 1040 PCI
adaptors for my desktops and a laptop adaptor). All installed fine
(SSID changed and hidden, WPA setup OK) and I can access the internet
from all 3 machines.

The instructions supplied by BT was good for this. However, I am now
stuck as I do not know the next steps to take to setup 'file and
printer sharing'. BT do not supply details of this.

I am running Windows XP SP2. I have turned off Windows firewall as I
use the freebie Zonealarm. However, I have managed to turn on file and
printer sharing. Therefore I can setup up a printer as being shareable.
I just don't see it on another pc but I assume that is because the
network is not set up correctly.

Do I use the 'Wireless Network Setup Wizard'. However that confuses me
as it asks for a new SSID and WPA key. That I have already done when
setting up the Voyager 2100. I do not wish to confuse the current
setup.

Does anyone have successful experience of setting up the network? If so
could you point me in the right direction where to proceed next.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Unless you know exactly how to configure ZonaAlarm to allow file and printer
sharing, your first step should be to uninstall ZoneAlarm. Don't try
disabling it, uninstall it altogether. You can use the SP2 firewall with an
exception for file and printer sharing, or after you get the network
working, you can try reinstalling ZoneAlarm.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"bigt" <bigt@norubbish.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just purchased a BT Voyager 2100 ADSL router (plus 2 1040 PCI
> adaptors for my desktops and a laptop adaptor). All installed fine
> (SSID changed and hidden, WPA setup OK) and I can access the internet
> from all 3 machines.
>
> The instructions supplied by BT was good for this. However, I am now
> stuck as I do not know the next steps to take to setup 'file and
> printer sharing'. BT do not supply details of this.
>
> I am running Windows XP SP2. I have turned off Windows firewall as I
> use the freebie Zonealarm. However, I have managed to turn on file and
> printer sharing. Therefore I can setup up a printer as being shareable.
> I just don't see it on another pc but I assume that is because the
> network is not set up correctly.
>
> Do I use the 'Wireless Network Setup Wizard'. However that confuses me
> as it asks for a new SSID and WPA key. That I have already done when
> setting up the Voyager 2100. I do not wish to confuse the current
> setup.
>
> Does anyone have successful experience of setting up the network? If so
> could you point me in the right direction where to proceed next.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Doug,

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. I didn't quite do what you
suggested but disabled Zonealarm and assigned XP firewall instead on
the 2 machines that I was trying to share printers between. I was able
to print from one machine to the printer on the other and vise-versa.

I now need to try and work out how to set up Zonealarm to allow file
and printer sharing. If I get stuck i will post another question.

Thanks again for your help.

Doug,

Managed to set up Zonealarm to allow file and printer sharing across my
network. All 3 pcs now recognise all printers connected. Haven't tried
file sharing yet but not so bothered with that.

Thanks again.

ZoneAlarm and other 3rd party firewalls are notorious for not allowing file
and printer sharing even when 'disabled.' Fortunately, this was not the
case for you. ZoneAlarm is capable of allowing standard Windows file
sharing, but you will have to read the manual closely to get this setup
right. If you have problems, your best bet is a google search or ZoneAlarm
support site.

Good luck.

> Doug,
>
> Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. I didn't quite do what you
> suggested but disabled Zonealarm and assigned XP firewall instead on
> the 2 machines that I was trying to share printers between. I was able
> to print from one machine to the printer on the other and vise-versa.
>
> I now need to try and work out how to set up Zonealarm to allow file
> and printer sharing. If I get stuck i will post another question.
>
> Thanks again for your help.

Go get 'em!

> Doug,
>
> Managed to set up Zonealarm to allow file and printer sharing across my
> network. All 3 pcs now recognise all printers connected. Haven't tried
> file sharing yet but not so bothered with that.
>
> Thanks again.

Doug,

Just to close this posting to say that file sharing is now working
fine. A few glitches (mainly misunderstandings on my part) but I can
read, copy and update files between machines.

Regards