upgrade hangup

upon trying to upgrade my pc from win98, after the first reboot during the
installation the computer hangs up with this message in text mode:

setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...

any suggestions?
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade hangup

    How did you start the install? You have to boot to the CD to reformat the
    disk and install XP. Run the Windows Upgrade Advisor on the cd first. Sounds
    like you might have a hardware incompatibility. Here are instructions for a
    clean install: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

    "Chad Smith" wrote:

    > upon trying to upgrade my pc from win98, after the first reboot during the
    > installation the computer hangs up with this message in text mode:
    >
    > setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...
    >
    > any suggestions?

    i've actually tried to install both ways. i did the upgrade advisor before i
    tried anything, and there were a couple of issues, but i swapped out
    hardware, and it still didn't work. i then wiped out win98, reinstalled it,
    then tried the xp upgrade, but still the same problem.

    any other ideas?

    chad

    Hi, Chad.

    Are you SURE it is hung? Sometimes this step takes what seems an
    unreasonably long time. The computer is hurrying as fast as it can, but it
    just takes a while. ;^}

    Have you tried clean installing WinXP by booting from the WinXP CD-ROM?
    Many users have reported that, even after successfully upgrading from Win9x,
    they have been bothered by niggling inconsistencies and have ended up wiping
    the drive and clean installing after all. You will, of course, have to
    reinstall your applications. But WinXP Setup should recognize all your
    hardware and install the proper drivers for it. One of these
    hardware/driver conflicts may be what is causing your hangup problem. (The
    upgrade version of the WinXP CD-ROM will ask for proof that you own a
    product that qualifies for the upgrade price; when it asks, jut insert your
    Win98 CD briefly. No need to have Win98 installed.)

    WinXP deals with hardware much differently from MS-DOS/Win9x/ME, so drivers
    that work fine with one Windows version almost certainly will not work with
    the other.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Chad Smith" <chadericsmith@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    upon trying to upgrade my pc from win98, after the first reboot during the
    installation the computer hangs up with this message in text mode:

    setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...

    any suggestions?

    Greetings --

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and *hard drives*) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Chad Smith" <chadericsmith@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    upon trying to upgrade my pc from win98, after the first reboot during
    the
    installation the computer hangs up with this message in text mode:

    setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...

    any suggestions?

Computers Microsoft Configuration Windows XP