Microsoft Hiring Up a Storm for Next Generation of Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
It's just a marketing ploy. They always need quality engineers, but they're emphasizing this so they could project their confidence about Surface. Unless they have like 5 million preorders, there's no way they can go all-out on Surface 2. The corporate culture and associated structures simply wouldn't allow it.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I find myself becoming more interested in surface and windows 8 because it would be really sweet to flick documents from my cellphone to my tablet to my desktop

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]It's just a marketing ploy. They always need quality engineers, but they're emphasizing this so they could project their confidence about Surface. Unless they have like 5 million preorders, there's no way they can go all-out on Surface 2. The corporate culture and associated structures simply wouldn't allow it.[/citation]

Microsoft has around 50 billion in the bank. It absolutely can go all out if it feels like it.

G

It just means that they have completed the current surface tablet and is preparing for the next generation. Every companies will do that. When a car manufacturer rolls out 2013 model, they are actually working on the design of 2016 model. They will not wait for the 5 mil preorders before starting the next project.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Along with Kinect tech, and with the OS in place to support gesture/keyboard controlled desktops (finally relief for my mouse cramped hand, ha), gesture/touch controlled tablets and touch/voice controlled phones.
The future looks bright, all from the brilliant teams assembled/assembling there folks. They've been building these teams for years, and now it all comes together :lol:

If just one person they hire knows how to make a decent commercial, and the board does not be dumb and shoot it down, then surface stands a good chance at being a winner. It has the hardware, it has the looks, and it has the buzz; All it needs to be is sub $1000 and something to get the word out about it.

radon_antila

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Microsoft has around 50 billion in the bank. It absolutely can go all out if it feels like it.[/citation] Agreed. It's worth remembering that in the late 1999's-early 2000's, Microsoft took on a billion-dollar loss just to enter and compete on the console market with the introduction of original XBox. And that was a market they didn't have a significant stake in.

There are a lot of things you can accuse Microsoft of being, but "not willing to risk its money" is not one of them.

redyellowblueblast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Microsoft is going to loose out horribly on this. Not only are they basing it on a OS that almost nobody wants, but they also have a fight going up hill against Google and Apple's offerings, which are already well received by the masses. If people already own a Android Tablet or a iPad, as most consumers do, then why would they care about the Surface? The same could be said about the Windows 8 Phone. Microsoft just needs to stick to making laptop/desktop OSs. This generation is no longer about Microsoft vs Apple. Its now about Google vs Apple. Personally I am putting all my money in Google. They look to be the new Microsoft, only on steroids.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]radon_antila[/nom]Agreed. It's worth remembering that in the late 1999's-early 2000's, Microsoft took on a billion-dollar loss just to enter and compete on the console market with the introduction of original XBox. And that was a market they didn't have a significant stake in.There are a lot of things you can accuse Microsoft of being, but "not willing to risk its money" is not one of them.[/citation]
well they didn't have a dividend policy back then

G

redyellowblueblast you've got it all wrong. Business is waiting for the surface. It will be an explosion beyond belief.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]well they didn't have a dividend policy back then[/citation]
[citation][nom]redyellowblueblast[/nom]Microsoft is going to loose out horribly on this. Not only are they basing it on a OS that almost nobody wants, but they also have a fight going up hill against Google and Apple's offerings, which are already well received by the masses. If people already own a Android Tablet or a iPad, as most consumers do, then why would they care about the Surface? The same could be said about the Windows 8 Phone. Microsoft just needs to stick to making laptop/desktop OSs. This generation is no longer about Microsoft vs Apple. Its now about Google vs Apple. Personally I am putting all my money in Google. They look to be the new Microsoft, only on steroids.[/citation]

Who says no one wants this OS, you? Besides the average TH reader and other geeks worldwide, there are MILLIONS of people that would love a more streamlined OS interface. To keep thinking that Win8 is aimed at techies is a showing of your understanding here.

[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... this logo is a kindergarten drawing of a dick...[/citation]
I dunno about that. What I want to know is, why is it fuchsia!? It looks like a breast cancer ribbon!* It only barely invokes the four-shape motif of Microsoft logos and the color is just...irrelevant to Microsoft's branding. If it faded between red/yellow/green/blue it would be fine, but...fuchsia?

They're probably trying to break any associations with "technology-qua-technology" in favor of a "the technology disappears and all you're left with is the user experience" vibe, but still...color fail.

* Please note that I'm not making light of breast cancer in any way.

public32

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
[citation][nom]redyellowblueblast[/nom]Microsoft is going to loose out horribly on this. Not only are they basing it on a OS that almost nobody wants, but they also have a fight going up hill against Google and Apple's offerings, which are already well received by the masses. If people already own a Android Tablet or a iPad, as most consumers do, then why would they care about the Surface? The same could be said about the Windows 8 Phone. Microsoft just needs to stick to making laptop/desktop OSs. This generation is no longer about Microsoft vs Apple. Its now about Google vs Apple. Personally I am putting all my money in Google. They look to be the new Microsoft, only on steroids.[/citation]

What! are you serious?? If Windows 8, works seemlessly and smoothly with/between all the devices Microsoft is building around this ecosystem(PC, tablet, phone, xbox and kinect) its going to be a jackpot for MSFT.

Imagine this; Am playing a game on xbox using kinect, windows phone rings, but because I already transferred all calls to xbox before playing, a wave of hand pauses my game and streams audio from phone to xbox, found out my CFO is trying share some data with me, I pick up my Surface, transfer audio from xbox to Surface, while conversation is ongoing I download the data, noticed there needs to be some changes to the data, fire up full-fledged Excel, make corrections and email the data. Now with a wave of my hand I hang up and continue with my game.

Now picture all this done without jailbreaking your "ISurface" .

Status
Not open for further replies.