Sign in with
Your question

Transfer Files from XP to Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
March 7, 2011 10:10:33 PM

Hey guys
So im finally going to move on from my XP home edition to Windows 7. I really dont want to download and install all my games again and all of my other files. I heard that theres a file transfer program that lets you move your xp files to your new windows 7 OS. Is this even possible or is is there another way?
thanks

More about : transfer files windows

a c 209 $ Windows 7
March 7, 2011 10:21:53 PM

Even if you find a program to transfer your data files you'll still have to reinstall your games and other application programs.
m
l
March 16, 2011 4:26:36 PM

He's right, even if you do a upgrade you will have to re-install all of your programs. Windows 7 operates best when you do a fresh install with format since it gets all the right drivers for your hardware. If you are permanently moving to Windows 7 then take the time and do a fresh install and load all of your programs its worth the effort.
I have been running Win 7 for almost one year without problems.
m
l
Related resources
a c 228 $ Windows 7
March 16, 2011 5:30:23 PM

Like others have said, there is no direct upgrade path from XP to win7. If you do a custom install of Win7, it will rename your current windows folder to windows.old so you may be able to fish some stuff out of there, but you will still need to reinstall all your software.
m
l
May 31, 2011 10:15:28 AM

k3v1n_123 said:
Hey guys
So im finally going to move on from my XP home edition to Windows 7. I really dont want to download and install all my games again and all of my other files. I heard that theres a file transfer program that lets you move your xp files to your new windows 7 OS. Is this even possible or is is there another way?
thanks

Yes there is device called is Windows Easy Share Cable it connects Windows xp to windows 7 PC and transfers the all data successfully. It costs around you around $11.73 from amazon. For more help and tech support for this windows easy share cable you can visit http://www.iyogi.net.au/
m
l
May 31, 2011 10:45:40 AM

To use the Easy Transfer method you can either use a network drive or a usb (if you don't want to buy the cable). Also, be sure to install your programs on to your new computer (Win 7 machine) before doing the easy transfer. It will make life easier.
m
l
May 31, 2011 1:09:02 PM

Hi,

It's all good if you want to step over to Win7, and there are a lot of ways to transfer your files to your new OS, I'm sure you'll find a way that suits you best, but my advise is that if you have a lot of programm's and games that you want to be able to use under Win7 you should know that some of them are not going to work. :pt1cable:  :cry: 

to work around this problem you can install both Windows's on the same PC, and enjoy the best of both of them. :D 

good luck
m
l
!