heat sink instructions for thermal grease ... I'm confused

Recently purchased a Masscool copper heat sink/fan.

I am puzzled a bit by the instructions.

"If grease is already pre-applied on the heat sink, DON'T need to put
additional grease on CPU surface. If grease is not already pre-applied on
the heat sink, please put a think layer of great on CPU surface evenly."

I've seen heat sinks with "thermal pads" on them, but not sinks with grease
pre-applied on them.

Surely, I need to remove the existing grease from the CPU, don't I, and
apply a layer of new grease on the die, to get the best thermal transfer?
They don't mean that I should leave any old stuff on the CPU?

(my current CPU is cooking ... I have been using the heat sink that came
with the boxed AMD CPU ... with the thermal pad on the bottom.)
1 answer Last reply
More about heat sink instructions thermal grease confused

    "spoon2001" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Recently purchased a Masscool copper heat sink/fan.
    >
    > I am puzzled a bit by the instructions.
    >
    > "If grease is already pre-applied on the heat sink, DON'T need to put
    > additional grease on CPU surface. If grease is not already pre-applied on
    > the heat sink, please put a think layer of great on CPU surface evenly."
    >
    > I've seen heat sinks with "thermal pads" on them, but not sinks with
    > grease pre-applied on them.
    >
    > Surely, I need to remove the existing grease from the CPU, don't I, and
    > apply a layer of new grease on the die, to get the best thermal transfer?
    > They don't mean that I should leave any old stuff on the CPU?
    >
    > (my current CPU is cooking ... I have been using the heat sink that came
    > with the boxed AMD CPU ... with the thermal pad on the bottom.)

    be sure to clean the cpu well.
    you should be able to remove the remants of the old thermal pad by using
    a little rubbing alchol

Homebuilt Heat CPUs Systems