Will Rebate Wonders Never Cease?

Today I just got a postcard from Symantic saying that my submission for
a $30 rebate upgrading to Systemworks 2005 was rejected. In the corner of
the card it said my "Proof of Purchase" was missing. I could have sworn I
had sent everything in that was required: a copy of the receipt, my old
Systemworks 2002 CD, and the little green flap on the inside of the box that
said "Proof of Purchase"
I went to the computer where I'd scanned a picture of everything I'd
sent in and sure enough the little green flap, the CD and the receipt all
showed up on a scanned picture of the three items they'd required.
I called the toll free telephone number and went through a lengthy list
of options and buttons to push depending on which rejection postcard one had
received. Finally, the button to get a human.
Her name was Sofie. I gave her the number assigned over top my name on the
postcard. Then I quickly added that I had made a scan of all the materials
that I had sent to Texas and I had a copy of the little green Proof of
Purchase flap. "Just a moment sir," she said. About ten seconds passed. Then
she said,.."As a one time courtesy, because you are a valued customer, your
information has been updated to show you have sent in all the required
information. You should receive a rebate check in 6 to 8 weeks". "But don't
you want me to send you a copy of that Proof of Purchase flap?", I said. "No
sir, that won't be necessary," Sofie nonchalantly added. "Thank you," I
said.
And I thought it was the companies that had to protect themselves from
the scam artists.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net

    Jan Alter wrote:
    > Today I just got a postcard from Symantic saying that my submission for
    > a $30 rebate upgrading to Systemworks 2005 was rejected. In the corner of
    > the card it said my "Proof of Purchase" was missing. I could have sworn I
    > had sent everything in that was required: a copy of the receipt, my old
    > Systemworks 2002 CD, and the little green flap on the inside of the box that
    > said "Proof of Purchase"
    > I went to the computer where I'd scanned a picture of everything I'd
    > sent in and sure enough the little green flap, the CD and the receipt all
    > showed up on a scanned picture of the three items they'd required.
    > I called the toll free telephone number and went through a

    > "As a one time courtesy, because you are a valued customer, your
    > information has been updated to show you have sent in all the required
    > information. You should receive a rebate check in 6 to 8 weeks".

    That's a lot better than Best Buy, which will lie and deny a rebate
    even when handed proof of their mistake (wouldn't pay when I met their
    deadline, because they had misprinted the deadline).

    Thanks for proving that I'm not crazy for scanning all the included
    items. I also attach everything together lightly with glue and write
    my name, address, rebate amount, and rebate offer number on every piece
    submitted.

    Jan Alter wrote:

    > Today I just got a postcard from Symantic saying that my submission for
    > a $30 rebate upgrading to Systemworks 2005 was rejected. In the corner of
    > the card it said my "Proof of Purchase" was missing. I could have sworn I
    > had sent everything in that was required: a copy of the receipt, my old
    > Systemworks 2002 CD, and the little green flap on the inside of the box that
    > said "Proof of Purchase"
    > I went to the computer where I'd scanned a picture of everything I'd
    > sent in and sure enough the little green flap, the CD and the receipt all
    > showed up on a scanned picture of the three items they'd required.
    > I called the toll free telephone number and went through a lengthy list
    > of options and buttons to push depending on which rejection postcard one had
    > received. Finally, the button to get a human.
    > Her name was Sofie. I gave her the number assigned over top my name on the
    > postcard. Then I quickly added that I had made a scan of all the materials
    > that I had sent to Texas and I had a copy of the little green Proof of
    > Purchase flap. "Just a moment sir," she said. About ten seconds passed. Then
    > she said,.."As a one time courtesy, because you are a valued customer, your
    > information has been updated to show you have sent in all the required
    > information. You should receive a rebate check in 6 to 8 weeks". "But don't
    > you want me to send you a copy of that Proof of Purchase flap?", I said. "No
    > sir, that won't be necessary," Sofie nonchalantly added. "Thank you," I
    > said.
    > And I thought it was the companies that had to protect themselves from
    > the scam artists.

    I have this radical new theory that companies are actually a collection of
    people and that some of them screw up from time to time.

    > I have this radical new theory that companies are actually a collection of
    > people and that some of them screw up from time to time.

    With that theory in mind and the number of stories I've read over the years
    I'd suggest that those folks either need retraining or they are some of the
    most incompetent workers in the country.

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    > Jan Alter wrote:
    >
    >> Today I just got a postcard from Symantic saying that my submission for
    >> a $30 rebate upgrading to Systemworks 2005 was rejected. In the corner of
    >> the card it said my "Proof of Purchase" was missing. I could have sworn I
    >> had sent everything in that was required: a copy of the receipt, my old
    >> Systemworks 2002 CD, and the little green flap on the inside of the box
    >> that
    >> said "Proof of Purchase"
    >> I went to the computer where I'd scanned a picture of everything I'd
    >> sent in and sure enough the little green flap, the CD and the receipt all
    >> showed up on a scanned picture of the three items they'd required.
    >> I called the toll free telephone number and went through a lengthy
    >> list
    >> of options and buttons to push depending on which rejection postcard one
    >> had
    >> received. Finally, the button to get a human.
    >> Her name was Sofie. I gave her the number assigned over top my name on
    >> the
    >> postcard. Then I quickly added that I had made a scan of all the
    >> materials
    >> that I had sent to Texas and I had a copy of the little green Proof of
    >> Purchase flap. "Just a moment sir," she said. About ten seconds passed.
    >> Then
    >> she said,.."As a one time courtesy, because you are a valued customer,
    >> your
    >> information has been updated to show you have sent in all the required
    >> information. You should receive a rebate check in 6 to 8 weeks". "But
    >> don't
    >> you want me to send you a copy of that Proof of Purchase flap?", I said.
    >> "No
    >> sir, that won't be necessary," Sofie nonchalantly added. "Thank you," I
    >> said.
    >> And I thought it was the companies that had to protect themselves from
    >> the scam artists.

    FWIW, I am one person who can count change backwards. I guess it's
    becoming a lost art!

    Jan Alter wrote:

    >>I have this radical new theory that companies are actually a collection of
    >>people and that some of them screw up from time to time.
    >

    > With that theory in mind and the number of stories I've read over the years

    And that would be how many problems over how many years over how many
    billions of rebates done?

    > I'd suggest that those folks either need retraining or they are some of the
    > most incompetent workers in the country.

    I'm not sure which ones you're referring to. The high paid envelope opener
    or the data entry operators?

    "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Today I just got a postcard from Symantic saying that my submission for
    > a $30 rebate upgrading to Systemworks 2005 was rejected. In the corner of
    > the card it said my "Proof of Purchase" was missing. SNIP

    Staple or tape all of the rebate materials together. Machines open the
    envelopes and loose bits get lost. I've had good luck with rebates, but
    always retain copies just in case (Soyo took 10 months to pay a mobo rebate)
    ..

    "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote...
    > .."As a one time courtesy, because you are a valued customer, your
    > information has been updated to show you have sent in all the required
    > information. You should receive a rebate check in 6 to 8 weeks".

    OfficeMax refused my rebate several months ago, but sent me notice something
    like 3 months after I sent everything in. They persisted until I told them to
    send a copy of my e-mails to OfficeMax HQ (with a suggestion that I might have
    already done so) that included my decision to never set foot in an OfficeMax
    again. Several weeks later I got the rebate...

    I haven't gone back to OfficeMax anyhow, since and Office Depot opened up, and
    is closer...

Homebuilt Systems