Default Gateway for NT 4 Server

I have three sites that are connected over a WAN. Each
site has a PDC running NT 4 with SP6 installed. Let's
call these sites A, B, and C. Site A communicates to
Site B with router1 and to Site C with router2. If I
make the default gateway on the PDC for Site A equal to
router1 then I cannot ping any file servers on Site C.
If I make the default gateway on the PDC for Site A equal
to router2 then I cannot ping any file servers on Site
B. On the PDC for Site A under TCP/IP properties I have
added both router1 and router2 as Gateways but can only
communicate with the resources corresponding to the
network for the first gateway listed under the Advanced
button. I can at all times ping both router1 and router2
from the PDC at Site A.
7 answers Last reply
More about default gateway server

    Leave them blank.

    "Roger Nelson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have three sites that are connected over a WAN. Each
    > site has a PDC running NT 4 with SP6 installed. Let's
    > call these sites A, B, and C. Site A communicates to
    > Site B with router1 and to Site C with router2. If I
    > make the default gateway on the PDC for Site A equal to
    > router1 then I cannot ping any file servers on Site C.
    > If I make the default gateway on the PDC for Site A equal
    > to router2 then I cannot ping any file servers on Site
    > B. On the PDC for Site A under TCP/IP properties I have
    > added both router1 and router2 as Gateways but can only
    > communicate with the resources corresponding to the
    > network for the first gateway listed under the Advanced
    > button. I can at all times ping both router1 and router2
    > from the PDC at Site A.

    Since the PDC has a static IP address I have to include a
    Default Router. Whichever router I insert as the default
    router automatically will show up under the Advanced
    button.

    wrote in message
    >> I have three sites that are connected over a WAN. Each
    >> site has a PDC running NT 4 with SP6 installed. Let's
    >> call these sites A, B, and C. Site A communicates to
    >> Site B with router1 and to Site C with router2. If I
    >> make the default gateway on the PDC for Site A equal to
    >> router1 then I cannot ping any file servers on Site C.
    >> If I make the default gateway on the PDC for Site A
    equal
    >> to router2 then I cannot ping any file servers on Site
    >> B. On the PDC for Site A under TCP/IP properties I
    have
    >> added both router1 and router2 as Gateways but can only
    >> communicate with the resources corresponding to the
    >> network for the first gateway listed under the Advanced
    >> button. I can at all times ping both router1 and
    router2
    >> from the PDC at Site A.
    >

    >.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Correct. If the PDC was acting as the router then
    they would be blank.. The PDC should be pointing
    towards the router on it's subnet. Unless the default
    router will route to the remote subnets you have to
    add static routes in the routing table pointing towards
    the remote subnets and the gateway to the remote
    subnets.

    "Roger Nelson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Since the PDC has a static IP address I have to include a
    > Default Router. Whichever router I insert as the default
    > router automatically will show up under the Advanced
    > button.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I have two routers. I would like the users on the
    network to be able to access remote resources on either
    router. How can I configure TCP/IP properties to allow
    for both routers? The users can only access remote
    resources for the Default Gateway with the lowest
    Interface Metric.

    wrote in message
    >> Since the PDC has a static IP address I have to
    include a
    >> Default Router. Whichever router I insert as the
    default
    >> router automatically will show up under the Advanced
    >> button.
    >

    >.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Well I am not sure how you'd do that without
    teaming the adapters or statically assigning routes
    to the clients using the route add command.
    > I have two routers. I would like the users on the
    > network to be able to access remote resources on either
    > router. How can I configure TCP/IP properties to allow
    > for both routers? The users can only access remote
    > resources for the Default Gateway with the lowest
    > Interface Metric.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Thank you for your reply. Is their a way to place the
    route commands in a file so Windows will read them at
    startup instead of having to go to each computer? I
    think I can place the "route" command in the login script
    but I was hoping Windows had a file such as the "lmhost"
    and "networks" that I could utilize.

    wrote in message
    >> I have two routers. I would like the users on the
    >> network to be able to access remote resources on either
    >> router. How can I configure TCP/IP properties to allow
    >> for both routers? The users can only access remote
    >> resources for the Default Gateway with the lowest
    >> Interface Metric.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Sure depending on the client OS..

    "Roger Nelson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your reply. Is their a way to place the
    > route commands in a file so Windows will read them at
    > startup instead of having to go to each computer? I
    > think I can place the "route" command in the login script
    > but I was hoping Windows had a file such as the "lmhost"
    > and "networks" that I could utilize.

Default Gateway Servers Windows