Windows 2003 Server in NT 4 Domains

I have a two-part question:

1. Can I add a Windows 2003 server to a Windows NT 4.0
domain? (I know you can add a W2K server to one.)

2. Can a Windows 2003 server act as a BDC in a Windows
NT 4.0 domain?

1) Yes you can as a member server.

2) No a W2k or higher DC needs the AD which
is not available in NT 4.0.

"Steve L." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a two-part question:
>
> 1. Can I add a Windows 2003 server to a Windows NT 4.0
> domain? (I know you can add a W2K server to one.)
>
> 2. Can a Windows 2003 server act as a BDC in a Windows
> NT 4.0 domain?

Hi, I have questions with regards to Windows 2003 and NT 4.
Can I run Win2003 server as PDC and WinNT4.0 as BDC? What about both PDC and
BDC with Win2003, and member servers running WinNT4.0?

Thanks & regards.

Richard

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> 1) Yes you can as a member server.
>
> 2) No a W2k or higher DC needs the AD which
> is not available in NT 4.0.
>
> "Steve L." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a two-part question:
> >
> > 1. Can I add a Windows 2003 server to a Windows NT 4.0
> > domain? (I know you can add a W2K server to one.)
> >
> > 2. Can a Windows 2003 server act as a BDC in a Windows
> > NT 4.0 domain?

You can have an NT 4.0 BDC in a W2k3 environment
as long as the domain functional level is compatible. It's
common to upgrade the PDC first but leave the BDCs
intact but if you want to create a new BDC for the W2k3
domain you have to open server manager on the W2k3
machine and first create the account.

Also you an have a W2k3 member in an NT 4.0 domain.