Can, and should, SD card be defragged?

August 22, 2004 1:35:37 AM

As I'm typing this i'm using dirms to defragment my SD card. I'm
tempted to stop it but i'll let it run and see how it goes.

Does anyone have experience with defragmenting an SD card and whether
this is advisable or not?

thanks

More about : card defragged

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 8:48:02 AM

mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in news:6005702b.0408212035.5016309
@posting.google.com:

> As I'm typing this i'm using dirms to defragment my SD card. I'm
> tempted to stop it but i'll let it run and see how it goes.
>
> Does anyone have experience with defragmenting an SD card and whether
> this is advisable or not?
>
> thanks

it can be done, but you will hardly gain anything by it.
Defragmentating harddiskcontents is done because when files are scattered
all over the disk, the accesstime of the drive increases since the
driveheads have to make more movements to reach all parts of the files.
Since there are no mechanical moving parts present in memorycards, the
time-gain, if there is any, will be minimal. So there's no real need to
do it, though it won't harm anything either.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 10:47:35 AM

"Mike Henley" <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote in message
> As I'm typing this i'm using dirms to defragment my SD card. I'm
> tempted to stop it but i'll let it run and see how it goes.
>
> Does anyone have experience with defragmenting an SD card and whether
> this is advisable or not?
>
> thanks

Your choice, but you won't get any speed increase because there is no
physical movement of drive heads like mechanical hard drives. That's the
main purpose of defragmenting, and if it doesn't do that then is it worth
it? Only you can decide for you.
Remember you are messing with files, locations etc. and it is always
possible for things to go wrong although these utilities are better than
they used to be. If they are important then back up before doing anything
that could cause file losses or problems- but then again you'll be doing
regular backups anyway? Spending the time doing backups rather than
defragmenting is probably a better use of your time than defragmenting. But
only you can decide what is right for yourself.

Probably more advisable are the utilities to check file integrity like
scandisk or
Norton's Diskdoctor as you can get scrambled and messed up files,
particularly when batteries get low and writes may fail. Sorting them out
before things cause errors or get in too much of a mess is probably a better
use for your time.
August 22, 2004 2:59:45 PM

I have a couple of utilities that will defrag my SD card, but I've found a
better way, IMO. I use an SD Card reader and copy all the data from my SD
card to a folder on my PC. Then, I delete everything from my SD card, and
copy the data back from my PC. Pretty much the same as a defrag, and it's
faster.

"Mike Henley" <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote in message
> As I'm typing this i'm using dirms to defragment my SD card. I'm
> tempted to stop it but i'll let it run and see how it goes.
>
> Does anyone have experience with defragmenting an SD card and whether
> this is advisable or not?
>
> thanks
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 4:10:03 PM

SoftSpot <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns954D452D47357softspotbruggehotmai@195.238.0.34>...
> mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in news:6005702b.0408212035.5016309
> @posting.google.com:
>
> > As I'm typing this i'm using dirms to defragment my SD card. I'm
> > tempted to stop it but i'll let it run and see how it goes.
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with defragmenting an SD card and whether
> > this is advisable or not?
> >
> > thanks
> >

> it can be done, but you will hardly gain anything by it.

Benchmarking before and after with pocket mechanic, I got a slight
increase in read speed, from .78mb/s to .87mb/s if i remember
correctly. Not sure it's worth doing regularly though.

> Defragmentating harddiskcontents is done because when files are scattered
> all over the disk, the accesstime of the drive increases since the
> driveheads have to make more movements to reach all parts of the files.
> Since there are no mechanical moving parts present in memorycards, the
> time-gain, if there is any, will be minimal. So there's no real need to
> do it, though it won't harm anything either.
>
> --
> SoftSpot
> softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
> "Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be perfect"
> (Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>
> (just remove the spamstatement
> and one underscore
> to respond personally,
> but please keep it friendly,
> I'm only human too)
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 10:26:03 PM

mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote:

>SoftSpot <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns954D452D47357softspotbruggehotmai@195.238.0.34>...
>> mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in news:6005702b.0408212035.5016309
>> @posting.google.com:
>>
>> > As I'm typing this i'm using dirms to defragment my SD card. I'm
>> > tempted to stop it but i'll let it run and see how it goes.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have experience with defragmenting an SD card and whether
>> > this is advisable or not?
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >

>> it can be done, but you will hardly gain anything by it.
>
>Benchmarking before and after with pocket mechanic, I got a slight
>increase in read speed, from .78mb/s to .87mb/s if i remember
>correctly. Not sure it's worth doing regularly though.

Given it won't help in real world usage (it isn't like people run
large database queries on their Pocket PC and SD card) and it will
wear the card out faster, I wouldn't bother. Solid state memory just
isn't the same as a HD and shouldn't be treated as such, IMHO. :-)
August 23, 2004 12:02:29 PM

defrag, reformat...

These are things you can perform on an SD card...

There are times when you get lost fragments in a card... total memory no
longer reflects as it is supposed to... sometimes several MBs less than
usual... then this is the time to actually reformat.

It really depends on the situation... do you really need to do it now?

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices

"Mike Henley" <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote in message
As I'm typing this i'm using dirms to defragment my SD card. I'm
tempted to stop it but i'll let it run and see how it goes.

Does anyone have experience with defragmenting an SD card and whether
this is advisable or not?

thanks
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 12:02:30 PM

"Carlo Ma. Guerrero [MVP]" <ppcsurfr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<OfJo9RKiEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> defrag, reformat...
>
> These are things you can perform on an SD card...
>
> There are times when you get lost fragments in a card... total memory no
> longer reflects as it is supposed to... sometimes several MBs less than
> usual... then this is the time to actually reformat.
>
> It really depends on the situation... do you really need to do it now?

Well you could really say that i was wondering if regular, routine
defrags are good for a card and it's contents.

!