Won't power on with HD connected

Hello,

I was called yesterday to look at a Celeron 1.1 GHz computer I had
built several years ago. It wouldn't power on.

I took an extra power supply along and my external HD enclosure. First
I swapped out the power supply, but no change. I noticed that there
were no lights or sounds, except the CPU fan was spinning. Next I
removed the only PCI card--an ethernet adapter, but it made no
difference. Finally I disconnected CD-ROM, floppy, and both IDE HD's.
The system finally powered up! When I plugged the master IDE HD back
in, the system quit again.

I pulled the HD out of the computer and stuck it in my external HD
enclosure...connected it to another PC with USB connector...HD spun up,
and I could read and copy files.

So, my question is, why can the HD spin up in the external USB
enclosure, but prevents PC from powering up when connected internally?

Should I just forget why, and order a new HD?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

jad

power supply is failing in the first PC.

JAD wrote:
> power supply is failing in the first PC.

.... Did you even bother to read the guy's post?

If I were you, Bill, I would just get a new drive and not really worry
about it much.

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

Does any HD used internally work? You said you had two in the system. I'd
first try using the second HD as master. If that spins up, you know it's the
HD. If it doesn't you know it's either the controller or the cable. Use
another cable. If it works, you're OK. If not, get a new motherboard, I
suppose.

Good luck.
--
Wiley

"Bill Eversole" <beversol@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was called yesterday to look at a Celeron 1.1 GHz computer I had
> built several years ago. It wouldn't power on.
>
> I took an extra power supply along and my external HD enclosure. First
> I swapped out the power supply, but no change. I noticed that there
> were no lights or sounds, except the CPU fan was spinning. Next I
> removed the only PCI card--an ethernet adapter, but it made no
> difference. Finally I disconnected CD-ROM, floppy, and both IDE HD's.
> The system finally powered up! When I plugged the master IDE HD back
> in, the system quit again.
>
> I pulled the HD out of the computer and stuck it in my external HD
> enclosure...connected it to another PC with USB connector...HD spun up,
> and I could read and copy files.
>
> So, my question is, why can the HD spin up in the external USB
> enclosure, but prevents PC from powering up when connected internally?
>
> Should I just forget why, and order a new HD?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bill

jad

did you?

"Shinnokxz" <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in message
> JAD wrote:
> > power supply is failing in the first PC.
>
> ... Did you even bother to read the guy's post?
>
> If I were you, Bill, I would just get a new drive and not really worry
> about it much.

You would

> --
> Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
> Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

peter

In article <1122411145.713025.198980@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
beversol@hotmail.com says...
> Hello,
>
> I was called yesterday to look at a Celeron 1.1 GHz computer I had
> built several years ago. It wouldn't power on.
>
> I took an extra power supply along and my external HD enclosure. First
> I swapped out the power supply, but no change. I noticed that there
> were no lights or sounds, except the CPU fan was spinning. Next I
> removed the only PCI card--an ethernet adapter, but it made no
> difference. Finally I disconnected CD-ROM, floppy, and both IDE HD's.
> The system finally powered up! When I plugged the master IDE HD back
> in, the system quit again.
>
> I pulled the HD out of the computer and stuck it in my external HD
> enclosure...connected it to another PC with USB connector...HD spun up,
> and I could read and copy files.
>
> So, my question is, why can the HD spin up in the external USB
> enclosure, but prevents PC from powering up when connected internally?

try resetting the bios.

--
Pete Ives

Shorting out when you "earth" it to the case? Try running it hooked up to
the cable NOT in the case?
I love mysteries......

"Shinnokxz" <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in message
> JAD wrote:
>> power supply is failing in the first PC.
>
> ... Did you even bother to read the guy's post?
>
> If I were you, Bill, I would just get a new drive and not really worry
> about it much.
>
> --
> Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
> Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

I had a similar problem once, and it was the power supply. I've forgotten
the exact details now, but what happened was the rise time of the power on
waveform altered over time, and the motherboard didn't have enough loosie
goosie to just let it go. The same power supply in a different computer
worked fine because the mobo wasn't so picky about the power on timing.

Upshot being, I'd still suspect that the power supply/mobo combo is the
culpret rather than the hard drive itself. Because the HD worked in your
external inclosure my bet is it's OK.

mike

"Bill Eversole" <beversol@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was called yesterday to look at a Celeron 1.1 GHz computer I had
> built several years ago. It wouldn't power on.
>
> I took an extra power supply along and my external HD enclosure. First
> I swapped out the power supply, but no change. I noticed that there
> were no lights or sounds, except the CPU fan was spinning. Next I
> removed the only PCI card--an ethernet adapter, but it made no
> difference. Finally I disconnected CD-ROM, floppy, and both IDE HD's.
> The system finally powered up! When I plugged the master IDE HD back
> in, the system quit again.
>
> I pulled the HD out of the computer and stuck it in my external HD
> enclosure...connected it to another PC with USB connector...HD spun up,
> and I could read and copy files.
>
> So, my question is, why can the HD spin up in the external USB
> enclosure, but prevents PC from powering up when connected internally?
>
> Should I just forget why, and order a new HD?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bill

jad

"Mike Hollywood" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I had a similar problem once, and it was the power supply. I've forgotten
> the exact details now, but what happened was the rise time of the power on
> waveform altered over time, and the motherboard didn't have enough loosie
> goosie to just let it go. The same power supply in a different computer
> worked fine because the mobo wasn't so picky about the power on timing.
>
> Upshot being, I'd still suspect that the power supply/mobo combo is the
> culpret rather than the hard drive itself. Because the HD worked in your
> external inclosure my bet is it's OK.
>
> mike

careful mike, your going to get the 'did you read the post at all ' routine.

> "Bill Eversole" <beversol@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was called yesterday to look at a Celeron 1.1 GHz computer I had
> > built several years ago. It wouldn't power on.
> >
> > I took an extra power supply along and my external HD enclosure. First
> > I swapped out the power supply, but no change. I noticed that there
> > were no lights or sounds, except the CPU fan was spinning. Next I
> > removed the only PCI card--an ethernet adapter, but it made no
> > difference. Finally I disconnected CD-ROM, floppy, and both IDE HD's.
> > The system finally powered up! When I plugged the master IDE HD back
> > in, the system quit again.
> >
> > I pulled the HD out of the computer and stuck it in my external HD
> > enclosure...connected it to another PC with USB connector...HD spun up,
> > and I could read and copy files.
> >
> > So, my question is, why can the HD spin up in the external USB
> > enclosure, but prevents PC from powering up when connected internally?
> >
> > Should I just forget why, and order a new HD?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Bill

oops. i did read it, but not carefully enough.
thanks for the heads up.
mike

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message

> "Mike Hollywood" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> I had a similar problem once, and it was the power supply. I've
>> forgotten
>> the exact details now, but what happened was the rise time of the power
>> on
>> waveform altered over time, and the motherboard didn't have enough loosie
>> goosie to just let it go. The same power supply in a different computer
>> worked fine because the mobo wasn't so picky about the power on timing.
>>
>> Upshot being, I'd still suspect that the power supply/mobo combo is the
>> culpret rather than the hard drive itself. Because the HD worked in your
>> external inclosure my bet is it's OK.
>>
>> mike
>
> careful mike, your going to get the 'did you read the post at all '
> routine.
>>
>> "Bill Eversole" <beversol@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I was called yesterday to look at a Celeron 1.1 GHz computer I had
>> > built several years ago. It wouldn't power on.
>> >
>> > I took an extra power supply along and my external HD enclosure. First
>> > I swapped out the power supply, but no change. I noticed that there
>> > were no lights or sounds, except the CPU fan was spinning. Next I
>> > removed the only PCI card--an ethernet adapter, but it made no
>> > difference. Finally I disconnected CD-ROM, floppy, and both IDE HD's.
>> > The system finally powered up! When I plugged the master IDE HD back
>> > in, the system quit again.
>> >
>> > I pulled the HD out of the computer and stuck it in my external HD
>> > enclosure...connected it to another PC with USB connector...HD spun up,
>> > and I could read and copy files.
>> >
>> > So, my question is, why can the HD spin up in the external USB
>> > enclosure, but prevents PC from powering up when connected internally?
>> >
>> > Should I just forget why, and order a new HD?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Bill

jad

eh ,,,, your right it could be the PSU regardless if its a 'different' one
If the HD works in the enclosure and that has its own power source...figures
don't it?

JAD wrote:
> eh ,,,, your right it could be the PSU regardless if its a
> 'different' one If the HD works in the enclosure and that has its own
> power source...figures don't it?

This one seems to take a bit of thought to solve the problem, which seems to
be lacking these days.

Probably is the power supply. It may be strong enough to light up when only
the mobo/cpu/video is in the loop, but add another perripherial and it shows
the weakness.

> "Mike Hollywood" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> oops. i did read it, but not carefully enough.
>> thanks for the heads up.
>> mike
>>

>> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Mike Hollywood" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message

>>> careful mike, your going to get the 'did you read the post at all '
>>> routine.

The second hard drive boots up when the aforementioned hard drive is
disconnected. I have tried two different power supplies--the original
and one taken out of a previously working PC.

I guess the bottom line is that this hard drive won't work in this
computer and must be replaced.

Bill

peter

In article <1122642969.071288.263380@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
beversol@hotmail.com says...
> The second hard drive boots up when the aforementioned hard drive is
> disconnected. I have tried two different power supplies--the original
> and one taken out of a previously working PC.
>
> I guess the bottom line is that this hard drive won't work in this
> computer and must be replaced.
>
> Bill

Is that as master on same ide as problem HD (which I presume was master
device) or as slave, or is it on different ide?

--
Pete Ives

The 2nd hard drive (the one that does work) was the slave on the
Primary IDE.

peter

In article <1122731410.879538.276760@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
beversol@hotmail.com says...
> The 2nd hard drive (the one that does work) was the slave on the
> Primary IDE.

Have you tried setting it as master or did you just disconnect the one
that doesn't work? If not, it may be worth trying it as master just to
confirm that setting as master actually works.

--
Pete Ives