X-fer settings from dead disk?

Our PDC HD died. HD won't boot but I'm still able to access it if put in
another machine as second drive. Tried several ways to fix it and finally
gave up. Question is can I fresh install Win2kServer and X-fer settings from
the dead HD to the new one? Thought I could ghost it but disk to disk and
sector by sector both copied whatever the problem was to the new disk! I was
hoping I could somehow just add the dead HD as a secondary drive and then
boot up, copy settings and then trash old drive, but I am unsure if it will
copy things like users, policies, SIDs etc, and I don't want to waste
anymore time trying to solve this problem if it can't be solved, kwim?

Thanks,

--ScareCrowe

Hi ScareCrowe,

Thanks for your posting here.

Did you ever backup your PDC? If so, you can try to restore NT PDC from the
backup.

Q287061 Windows NT4.0 and Windows 2000 Disaster Recovery and Backup and
Restore
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q287061>

Or do you have any BDC in the domain? If so, you can just promote a BDC to
PDC and the domain should also works properly.

You can copy the user's profile and Ntconfig.pol file out, but we cannot
restore the SIDs. You need to rebuild the NT domain if you do not have any
backup or BDC.

Restoring a User Profile On a Windows NT Workstation or Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171769

168579 How to Set Up Locally-Based System Policies
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=168579

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin